Question Taking out cpu and cleaning

akash1991

Mar 28, 2020
hello i wanted to know if cpu can be taken out after removing heat sink and then clean golden points and its socket with alcohol ? will it help in performance increase as i habe never done this and is it worth it ?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
hello i wanted to know if cpu can be taken out after removing heat sink and then clean golden points and its socket with alcohol ? will it help in performance increase as i habe never done this and is it worth it ?
No, just leave it alone. No performance increase, and something could be damaged in the process.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Don't mess with the pins unless you made a huge mistake and spilled something on them. Lots of people get thermal paste on them which is normally not a big deal, and you can clean that off with a very soft toothbrush and 91% or better isopropyl alcohol. If you have not made a mess of your pins, as mark said, best to leave them alone.

Reactions: akash1991

akash1991

Mar 28, 2020
ok cool will get thermal paste.. which one is good ? crosair TM 30 or Noctua NT-H1 or any other ? i don't wanna spent too much on it though.. and i have inter i5 - 4440

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
MX-4 is cheap and easy to use. Well, relatively cheap. Anyway, get some of that. I see some great deals for it on eBay. 4 ounces for around $4 shipped. Can't beat that.

I use AS5, been using it exclusively since 2006. I got some installed on my friends 2500k build i put together back in 2012. Its still holding which is amazing. Temps and stuff are still fine on the Intel stock cooler in a case with only a single exhaust 80mm. She never complains about the build, i mean who could its a 2500k.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I use AS5, been using it exclusively since 2006. I got some installed on my friends 2500k build i put together back in 2012. Its still holding which is amazing. Temps and stuff are still fine on the Intel stock cooler in a case with only a single exhaust 80mm. She never complains about the build, i mean who could its a 2500k.

AS5 should be adequate, but I wouldn't use it today when buying fresh paste. MX-4 has good longevity. As long as you aren't using it in a pump-out scenario.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
AS5 should be adequate, but I wouldn't use it today when buying fresh paste. MX-4 has good longevity. As long as you aren't using it in a pump-out scenario.

Thought about replacements enough times but idk i am a creature of habit and this works as is. I usually spread paste via clean finger or credit card till entire ihs is covered, never have issues once the heatsink is installed. The 7700k stock does fine with the CM 212, the paste will never be a issue. When i upgrade to a 4000 series at end of year or next then yeah i will prob find the best paste period then best air cooler like d15 perhaps for it. Just lock in the best lowest temps i can.

akash1991

Mar 28, 2020
So today I though I would clean the cpu fan, so I removed heatsink put it back and pc is not booting properly or I keep getting no display input

is it because I did not put any thermalpaste, I don't have any right now...

I touched the cpu then it was hot, cleaned it with microfiber, it still has some cheapo thermal paste, old stuff..

Sometimes cpu light remains on but monitor keep showing no input.

I was also cleaning graphic card with iso 70% alcohol, I guess some must have gone near cpu maybe as never faced hearing issue on graphic card and was main reason I opened the cabined and decided to clean cpu heat sink too.

Current lockdown can't get any thermal paste.

Shall I put sesodyne sensitive toothpaste for time being ? Will it work ? Read on net can be used as thermal paste

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
So today I though I would clean the cpu fan, so I removed heatsink put it back and pc is not booting properly or I keep getting no display input

is it because I did not put any thermalpaste, I don't have any right now...

I touched the cpu then it was hot, cleaned it with microfiber, it still has some cheapo thermal paste, old stuff..

Sometimes cpu light remains on but monitor keep showing no input.

I was also cleaning graphic card with iso 70% alcohol, I guess some must have gone near cpu maybe as never faced hearing issue on graphic card and was main reason I opened the cabined and decided to clean cpu heat sink too.

Shall I put sesodyne sensitive toothpaste for time being ? Will it work ? Read on net can be used as thermal paste

As Mark said earlier you should have left it alone. Using tooth paste is sheer lunacy. Get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it for you.

Reactions: Markfw

akash1991

Mar 28, 2020
Ya I thought it was ok to remove heatsink but not cpu..i did not know heatsink and cpu make a binding with paste which I just read on Google.

Gonna wait now..shops and amazon is shut here

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

As Mark said earlier you should have left it alone. Using tooth paste is sheer lunacy. Get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it for you.
So we get new members where one decided to use toothpaste as thermal paste, and another one complaining about CPU temps, but who doesn't have a back plate on their motherboard, so they can only rest the cooler on top of their CPU.

Sweet holy PEBCAK. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Did not use toothpaste, i was asking when I googled it came up..
I guess that's a relief that it was only a thought.

I know you have a "build my PC" thread going, but based on the rubbing alcohol and toothpaste questions in this one, I suggest buying a pre-built or having a local PC repair shop build it for you. I think you will regret it if you decide to try doing it on your own.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I guess that's a relief that it was only a thought.

I know you have a "build my PC" thread going, but based on the rubbing alcohol and toothpaste questions in this one, I suggest buying a pre-built or having a local PC repair shop build it for you. I think you will regret it if you decide to try doing it on your own.
Waiting for software installs.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
So you now have no video? You worked on several things so you have to narrow it down. You may have bent some pins on the cpu. Or the cpu may be getting so hot so quick that it won't post. You also were messing with your gpu correct? You also could try pulling the battery and resetting your cmos.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So you now have no video? You worked on several things so you have to narrow it down. You may have bent some pins on the cpu. Or the cpu may be getting so hot so quick that it won't post. You also were messing with your gpu correct? You also could try pulling the battery and resetting your cmos.
He could even have messed with the memory to get the HSF off, or not plugged fans in.

As said, take it to a pro, and let them fix it. He did not listen to my advice, so I am done with this thread.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Post #13. There is no TIM applied. What do you expect? This thread is providing some comic relief however.

"Ya I thought it was ok to remove heatsink but not cpu..i did not know heatsink and cpu make a binding with paste which I just read on Google.

Gonna wait now..shops and amazon is shut here"

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Post #13. There is no TIM applied. What do you expect? This thread is providing some comic relief however.

"Ya I thought it was ok to remove heatsink but not cpu..i did not know heatsink and cpu make a binding with paste which I just read on Google.

Gonna wait now..shops and amazon is shut here"

The time to Google things is before you attempt to do something you have no knowledge of. Serious case of PEBKAC on the guys part.

akash1991

Mar 28, 2020
lol...

i got mx 4 thermal paste few days back took long time for locdown to open and get it delivered here. CPU running better than when it was new, thanks for all the recommendation regarding it ... old cheapo thermal paste was just dry as expected after some 6year. Price of mx4 was really high here about $10 There was no other thermal paste in stock either on amazon india.. my cpu is running as low on 4% to 9% :) for even hd movies and google chorme than before 25% to 30% !

there should really be some video or basic stuff computer manufacture need to tell as in a year or 2 needing DIY maintenance, of thermal paste, cleaning of ram sticks, blowing dust off pc etc ! Good thing i removed the cpu fan otherwise would habe never known the wonders of using good quality thermal paste :)

i used it on laptop too which was again really old. i left laptop running for 3 days continuously since issue with external hdd ruining really slow so wanted to defragment it..hdd is still not working. properly, but laptop is also better than new !