Taking my girlfriend to Ruth's Chris Steak House

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
I can't understand how people spend so much on a dinner. I would rather have something I can keep not crap out in the end.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: dc
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
I can't understand how people spend so much on a dinner. I would rather have something I can keep not crap out in the end.

it's not like i go there every weekend. This is my first time there. Maybe once or twice a year.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: toant103
Originally posted by: BDawg
If you're in Richmond, don't go to Ruth's Chris. For the same price and much better food, go to Buckheads off of Parham.

Or, take 3 credit cards and go downtown to Morton's.

i was going to go there but my roomate told me to try Ruth's Chris. I thought Buckheads was off Patterson. I'm off Pump Road, not too far from Patterson

The other cross street may be Patterson...I don't know. One of the cross streets is Parham. It's in the same shopping center with Ben Frankin Crafts.

I refuse to go to that Ruth's Chris after two bad meals there.

The last time, I split a medium-rare porterhouse with my mother-in-law. The first time, it came out well done, so we sent it back. The second time, it came out still refigerated in the middle. The manager said sorry, but they don't cook porterhouses often.

The worst part is they offered free wine and vegetables for while we were waiting and then they charged us for them. I haven't been back since.

I haven't tried the one in Greensboro yet; I don't know if I will.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
03/29/2004 6:54 PM (NEW!)
update later. I'm off.

03/29/2004 10:25 PM (NEW!)
what we ordered,

You didn't too much time with her for that 'investment' :) Hopefully she was merely freshening up while you posted ;)

Å

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
We've got a Ruth's Chris around here, but I've never been... sounds like people dig it, maybe I should hit it with the wife, then hit it with the wife. hollah!

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Ruth's Chris is good, but i've had better, here on LI.

Peter Luger's
Morton's Steaks
Frank's Steaks
Major's Steak House

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: 327
I thought that place was only local to New Orelans

I hear that it is really good. good luck

Nope, they are everywhere. Which is one of the reasons I'm so sceptical. Even if it really is good....it's still just a chain restaurant.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: RickyRoma
I am lucky to live in Vegas.

Delmonico's
Ruth's Chris
Mortons
Del Frisco's
Charlie Palmer's
Smith & Wollensky
Barring Charlie Palmer's, pretty much any major city has all those restaurants.
BTW, the real Delmonico in NO is 100x better than the steakhouse.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: guyver01

Peter Luger's
Morton's Steaks
Frank's Steaks
Major's Steak House

Peter Luger's>*

Thankfully my supervisor paid for that meal though. :D

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That name always annoyed me. "Ruth's Chris Steak House." It doesn't make sense. Is it Ruth's? Is it Chris's? Or is there something called a "Chris Steak House," which belongs to Ruth?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I love RC's...

Dinner for 2 with my girlfriend set me back $130 a few months ago....

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RishiS

Peter Luger's
Morton's Steaks
Frank's Steaks
Major's Steak House

Peter Luger's>*

I have an annual dinner there every year with some buddies. It's one of the best meals of the year every time...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
That name always annoyed me. "Ruth's Chris Steak House." It doesn't make sense. Is it Ruth's? Is it Chris's? Or is there something called a "Chris Steak House," which belongs to Ruth?
In 1965, while scanning the classified section of the local newspaper, Ruth found an ad for a steak house - Chris Steak House - for sale. Against the advice of her lawyer and her banker, she mortgaged her house for $22,000 and bought the restaurant, and shortly thereafter, renamed it Ruth's Chris Steak House.
From here.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
just got home from work. Time to eat the left over from Ruth's Chris.

:)

I don't like their lamb chop. I think it smells. They gave us the minty jello but i just don't dig it. Oh well, no more lamb chop there

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
150 for 1 upscale dinner or 5 pretty good dinners.

I'm glad I married a practical woman. If I wanted to throw away 150 on a steak dinner, I'd purchase some steaks from Sam's, marinate them slap them on a grill, get a good bottle of wine, get some candles and some nice music playing...Be ten times better than Ruth's Chris and still have enough money to do it 2 more times.

Sorry, but 8 bucks for a side dish???? LOL

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I used my rebate checks to eat at Ruth Chris' in Raleigh. Good food but I would rather go to a butcher and get some great cuts and marinate and grill them myself. Not being cheap, just more bang for the buck.

I take it she got you dessert?
;)

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I did a business dinner at Ruth's a couple of months ago. The bill came to $350, including tip, for four.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
I used my rebate checks to eat at Ruth Chris' in Raleigh. Good food but I would rather go to a butcher and get some great cuts and marinate and grill them myself. Not being cheap, just more bang for the buck.

;)

Which butcher shop do you go to? I have to go all the way to Carrboro for fresh cuts of meat.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: aves2k
;)
Let's hope so! :D

blckbry chezcake and choc sundae

if it was up to me, i would just buy some steak and grill it at home, but this dinner at Ruth's Chris is a special one.

kmac1914

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
;)

if it was up to me, i would just buy some steak and grill it at home, but this dinner at Ruth's Chris is a special one.

not that kind of dessert......DESSERT;););)

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: RishiS

Peter Luger's
Morton's Steaks
Frank's Steaks
Major's Steak House

Peter Luger's>*

I have an annual dinner there every year with some buddies. It's one of the best meals of the year every time...

Heh, Peter Luger's is really good. I go there maybe twice a semester when I really crave a good steak. Carne on 107th and Broadway is pretty decent (and only a few blocks from where I am). My friends who work on Wall St. can order Peter Luger's whenever they stay late at the office... (virtually every day)

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: dahotboykj
;)

not that kind of dessert......DESSERT;););)

hehhe, that's personal