Taking double-triple the recommended amount of Tylenol is good

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Amplifier
What I said originally was tongue in check. I don't like being serious, but since you asked I will be.

My point was that 5 over the counter pills aren't going to injure a person. And in my case the normal amount of medicine wasn't going to cut it. I'm not going to say it's healthy, but it isn't life or death.

Well, then I retract what I said. I would agree that it probably won't kill you this one time, but it's not a good idea to do it at all IMO. You can damage your liver and not even know it until later.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Amplifier
What I said originally was tongue in check. I don't like being serious, but since you asked I will be.

My point was that 5 over the counter pills aren't going to injure a person. And in my case the normal amount of medicine wasn't going to cut it. I'm not going to say it's healthy, but it isn't life or death.

Yes, it could very well be life or death. But if you can't follow simple written instructions, you'll have to find out the hard way. Your life, your death. I don't give a flying flip.

But don't come here advertising your own stupidity and expect to be patted on the head for it. "Oh, you're so brave for totally disregarding the directions on that paper box. You're so much smarter than all those silly doctors and pharmacists." In your dreams, pal.

Amplifier

Banned
Dec 25, 2004
I hope you didn't take the tags off your mattress.

p.s. I took three more tylenol than recommended and your talking life or death? Step away from the stethoscope Dr. Forum.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
i hope you gave your first dose enough time to have effect before deciding you needed more.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I think this thread holds the IQ award for the year....well it's up there with the one where the guy needed help adding two numbers.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
5 over the counter extra strength tylenol CAN injure a person if they have liver damage, especially if they are taken all at once. we don't make dosage recommendations on a whim, they are actually based on things you know.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
Didn't you see the commercial where the lady says she would rather you not take Tylenol if you aren't going to follow directions?

Who the fvck takes Tylenol for a headache anyway? I have yet to find a person who says it works. You being the exception of course but I'd rather have a headache than a fvcked up liver.

i take tylenol for a headache. only one is needed to cure mine though.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
While tylenol (paracetamol/acetaminophen) is probably one of the safest drugs around when taken as directed. In fact, it's a drug often recommended for people with significant liver disease.

Howver, it is a serious danger in overdose, and is the most common cause of non-accidental poisoning in much of Europe.

It's possible for as little as 6 -8 tablets taken over a few hours to cause serious or fatal injury, particularly if you are a regular heavy drinker (more than 20 beers, or a bottle of spirits a week).

5 tablets is unlikely to hurt, if you are otherwise fit and healthy and don't drink regularly - just don't take ANY more for at least 24 - 48 hours, and don't do it again.