Taisol HSF report

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Hi gang; received my Taisol CEK733092 today. It looks very close to the retail HSF that came with my Duron I was running. However, it is larger overall, has a 60mm fan, instead of 40mm, and brought my temps from 93Fahrenheit idle/115 full load, to 87/105. Definitely works, HOWEVER A WORD OF CAUTION- I spent a few minutes comparing the 2 sink assemblies to each other, and noticed an interesting problem with the clip- the last side of the clip that you connect has a small tab sticking out so you may insert a small diameter screwdriver to aid in the attachment. The new unit I received had the tab BENT THE WRONG WAY!!! I was afraid to heat the clip with a torch and bend it the other way, figuring the steel may lose it's temper( like me), so I transferred the clip from the OEM hsf, and it worked fine. BTW, yes, I scraped the pad off, and am using Artic Silver.
Tomorrow, I will try to install my 60mm Black Label fan from hell to see if it aids further in heat reduction.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
"..BTW, yes, I scraped the pad off, and am using Artic Silver."

Big Mistake. Don't be brainwashed regarding the cooling potential of a high quality Thermal Interface Material (pad). The pad that comes with the TaiSol is just as good if not better than Thermal Grease. I now own both a Alpha with a YS Tech and a new TaiSol. Benchmarks and temperatures show they are performing neck and neck using the stock Thermal Pad with the TaiSol.

Alpha=43C
*TaiSol=44C (* using thermal pad)

I got my brand new 1Ghz Thunderbird up to 1150mhz using the TaiSol with the supplied Thermal Pad. I ran Seti@home, CPUbeta, Quake3 timedemo, and 3DMark 2000 looping demo. It's 100% stable at 1150mhz and temeratures are only slightly above normal. Then again I'm only running a single 80mm fan in my case. I have another one coming next week. But here's the kicker.. I'm running this with generic PC100 SDRAM. So yes, the TaiSol is a acceptable solution for overclocked CPU's using the Thermal Pad that shipped with it. I squeezed and extra 150mhz out of my Athlon, so it's a pretty darn good cooler if you ask me. But don't remove the Thermal Pad.

I did the pencil thingy to overclock, but will buy a conductive pen and make it permanent soon.

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I am one of those people always tinkering, and changing things around, so a thermal pad is not a good solution for me. However, it's great to hear that the OEM pad works well :)( I have never used one). After use, are they basically cooked, and must be replaced???

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Umm.. I'm sorry, but no PCTC is going to beat out Artic Silver.

PCTC versus Generic Grease, keep the PCTC.

PCTC versus Artic silver, go with Artic Silver.

Mike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Umm, no it is not a 1 degree difference between PCTC and Artic Silver.

I tried out a second Taisol with the pctc on a p3. Heated it up to 60C to try it out. The temps are 3C higher than with Artic SILVER.

NOT TO MENTION IF I REMOVE THE HEATSINK, i'm screwed.

NOt to mention, also, that Socket A temp measurement doesn't show full extent of temp differences and doesn't show full difference from idle to full load temps. HOw many heatsink "reviews" out there show a 2C difference between a globalwin FOP38 versus a Chrome ORB, when the GLobalwin has double the cooling capability of a Chrome Orb.

Mike

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I've used the fopp38, taisol, and vantec and have come to the conclusion that a few degrees makes absolutely no difference in overclocking potential or stability. Week31 Duron 600 at 1000 1.85 Runs anywhere between 40c idle to 43c depending on the hsf. Voltage not heat is the limiting factor in the later chips.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
But it isn't only a 3C difference between the top and bottom heatsinks. There is more of a difference, but the thermistor-based cpu temp reading solution is compressing the results.

Much in the same way that it doens't show the full extent of how CPU core temp can move from idle to full load. Most reviews have this number as around 4C, whereas it should actually be anywhere from 10-12 or higher C difference.

Mike

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
My 2 cents here:

MikeW is absolutely correct when he says that PCTC is not going to beat Arctic Silver IF the AS is applied correctly. Sometimes you need to apply thin sometimes a little thicker. Incorrectly applied AS will perform worse than Radio Smack, a recent thread here confirmed this. The main benefits of PCTC are :

It is thixotropic, it won't squeeze out or run out.

It fills microgaps between the hs and the core when it 'changes'

It handles multiple thermal cycles better than most silicone based grease.

It will not dry out ver time like many silicone based grease.

It may act as a cushion to protect the fragile core.

If you remember to remove the thin plastic film, its idiot proof.

GD695372

Oct 24, 2000
Well not to get of topic or anything but, those Black Label fans are great!!!!!!!!!! I've got 2 of em on my HS, and they work a hell of a lot better than any generic fan as well as some 80mm fans. My lightweight of choice!!!!:D