Tabula Rasa

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I tried the beta this weekend and omg does the game suck...

controls aren't very good, graphics are just horrible, it plays like a korean grindfest mmorpg. equipment rewards for quests is usually worse than what you have, even early on. i played for maybe an hour and a half and then uninstalled it.

isn't Richard Garriott the guy who made Ultima online or am i thinking of someone else? Ultima online was pretty cool, this is just utter crap.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
I tried the beta this weekend and omg does the game suck...

controls aren't very good, graphics are just horrible, it plays like a korean grindfest mmorpg. equipment rewards for quests is usually worse than what you have, even early on. i played for maybe an hour and a half and then uninstalled it.

isn't Richard Garriott the guy who made Ultima online or am i thinking of someone else? Ultima online was pretty cool, this is just utter crap.

Yep I was afraid it would be bad. *sigh*

I hope he gets a reality check that he did better at making sword, shield, and spell type RPGs. He did so well on Ultima I really wish I knew what he was thinking when he thought of Tabula Rasa.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I don't know if the NDA limits you from saying anything at all about the game or not?

I am in the closed beta but not sure if I'm allowed to even say if I agree or disagree with the OP.

I'm not much into MMORPGs at all, but I do like GW so that's why I was interested to get in the TR beta. I did, although I haven't a chance to play it much.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skacer
Didn't you sign an NDA for Tabula Rasa?

what are they gonna do, arrest me? technically i didn't put my signature on anything regarding this game.
the worst they can do is ban me from a game that i think is a pile of dog sh*t and i'll really lose sleep over that. :roll:

should have figured it would be crap considering all of NCSoft's other games are total garbage.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Well, I wonder if Tabula Rasa was better before the "rework"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...29#Development_History
the game underwent a major revamp two years into the project. Conflicts between developers and the vague direction of the game were said to be the causes of this dramatic change. 20% of the original team were replaced and 75% of the code had to be redone.

Think this was a conflict between NCSoft and "Lord British" ?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
the game underwent a major revamp two years into the project. Conflicts between developers and the vague direction of the game were said to be the causes of this dramatic change. 20% of the original team were replaced and 75% of the code had to be redone.

Wouldn't doubt it. NCSoft probably wants it to the the same as the rest of their terrible games.

chocobaR

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2001
Damnit, I had high expectations of the game :( I even signed up but didn't get into beta. Oh well I'll still try it and see if it's worth it or not.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Wouldn't doubt it. NCSoft probably wants it to the the same as the rest of their terrible games.

Easier to maintain that way.

BTW, did you agree to a NDA when you joined the beta?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Just because one person doesn't like the game doesn't mean it is crap or by the time it will be released, will be crap.

Different opinions is all.

I would say that most of NCsoft's games are good. I haven't played Full Auto, but all the Guild Wars have been quite good. Dungeon Runners is a decent game for being free. One thing I like about their games is that they are streamlined, perform well, and overall seem polished.

Given the state of many recent games... I think NCsoft releases have been pretty decent.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheUnk
pontifex, how's the FPS aspect of it?

there is no FPS aspect of it.

you control your character in 3rd person (maybe you can do 1st person, i dunno) but your shots either hit or don't, there is no skill involved. if you are running while shooting, your shots and your enemies shot will follow you or him, like a heatseaker missile. it will either register a hit or a miss. you still have to click the mouse for each shot, but its not an fps at all.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So in short, I should not bother installing it tonight? That was my plan, but maybe I'll just fire up LOTRO or CS:S instead.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
So in short, I should not bother installing it tonight? That was my plan, but maybe I'll just fire up LOTRO or CS:S instead.

KT

IMO, no, but maybe you'll like it, I dunno.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Screenshots of this game are very misleading. From looking at them you think it's an MMO / Shooter type game. An MMO that actually requires skill and not just hitting auto-attack and a few abilities that quickly becomes a mindless task.

Maybe Huxley can deliver.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: duragezic
I don't know if the NDA limits you from saying anything at all about the game or not?

I am in the closed beta but not sure if I'm allowed to even say if I agree or disagree with the OP.

I'm not much into MMORPGs at all, but I do like GW so that's why I was interested to get in the TR beta. I did, although I haven't a chance to play it much.

well read the NDA and tell us what you can
-i think you are allowed to roll your eyes ;)

and yes, they *can* sue you - if you are worth suing.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
what are they gonna do, arrest me? technically i didn't put my signature on anything regarding this game.
the worst they can do is ban me from a game that i think is a pile of dog sh*t and i'll really lose sleep over that. :roll:

should have figured it would be crap considering all of NCSoft's other games are total garbage.

What an awful fucking attitude. So basically how good a game is determines whether you honor the contract you signed when you hit accept. Bah, whatever, I don't necessarily agree with your comments by the way, but unlike you I plan to honor the agreement instead of being an asshat.

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
any more details on this game? I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy it tomorrow

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

What an awful fucking attitude. So basically how good a game is determines whether you honor the contract you signed when you hit accept. Bah, whatever, I don't necessarily agree with your comments by the way, but unlike you I plan to honor the agreement instead of being an asshat.

All you have to do is to go get a Fileplanet subscription and download the open beta. Everyone knows this game is a piece of garbage. The NDA was lifted a long time ago once they started allowing the public in via the Fileplanet subscriptions when they went to a open beta. In fact the reason why they went into open beta early was because they could not retain enough closed beta testers. To sum this game up it's Auto-Assault without the benefit of having cars to move around in along with a horrible UI gui slapped onto it.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Lol, dunno why I try to get game info here with all of the NDA bickering. Anyways, huge bummer.

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r

All you have to do is to go get a Fileplanet subscription and download the open beta. Everyone knows this game is a piece of garbage. The NDA was lifted a long time ago once they started allowing the public in via the Fileplanet subscriptions when they went to a open beta. In fact the reason why they went into open beta early was because they could not retain enough closed beta testers. To sum this game up it's Auto-Assault without the benefit of having cars to move around in along with a horrible UI gui slapped onto it.

Is the beta still going on? I might pay the $7 fileplanet subscription to try this out before i pay $50 retails tomorrow....

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: OOBradm

Is the beta still going on? I might pay the $7 fileplanet subscription to try this out before i pay $50 retails tomorrow....

I think it's closed. If it's not I can give you (assuming I can find it) my key because I never used it.

KT

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: OOBradm

I think it's closed. If it's not I can give you (assuming I can find it) my key because I never used it.

KT

it seems like its closed... but thx anyways