Question Tablet vs Chromebook for computer phobic Elder?

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
An elderly relative has never been on the internet. I am thinking about a simple device that is easy to use and hard to mess up. So either tablet (iPad or Android) or chromebook.

I have only used a Samsung tablet and I am not impressed with the UI. So I lean toward Chromebook with KB/Touchpad/mouse.

Anyone tried both with an elderly relative and assessed their interaction with both?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I've never tried both with a previous non-computer user of any age, but unless you expect them to do nothing with the "device" that requires more input than tapping on one of three options or less at any given time- all with really big, really obvious icons/buttons - I don't think there's any question that a device with a real keyboard is the way to go. And I'd get a "real" mouse, too, rather than hoping/expecting they'll get used to a touchpad within anything resembling a reasonable time period...

Last edited:

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Chrome is better protected against true newbie usage (undesirable websites); but also I would consider if they prefer keyboard or touch. I doubt my dad would use a touch device for web browsing... he's just not open to being retrained; I myself love using an 8 inch tablet for web browsing at night.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
My dad prefers large screens so I got him a 32" monitor and gave him my older ivy bridge with windows 7.

The most common thing he uses is chrome for youtube videos.

Ipad and phones are hard for him to type on so he doesn't like them. He prefers actual keyboards and mice.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
My mom is a wiz on a computer with Word using a keyboard only, no mouse.

She struggles with her phone and her computers. She worked with computers her whole life in an office setting but evidently she never used a mouse or anything with a GUI.

The ideal computer for her is none.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Does your relative need to be mobile? If not, I would say a chromebox attached to a monitor or TV would be the way to go. This allows you to provide a large easy to read display. Make sure you get a newer model chromebox that gives you access to the PlayStore.

Based on my limited experience, any laptop will have a display that is too small and difficult to read and a tablet, regardless of weight, can be a problem to hold for any period of time for many elderly. If you your relative is in good shape now, things can start to go south real quick depending on their age (vision, arthritis, etc).

-KeithP