Tablet Debacle

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I feel like im at a crossroads. First some background.

I have a venerable first run ASUS Transformer Prime that has recently contracted the dreaded rainbow screen. Basically requires a new LCD. And since the transformer is exceptionally fused, the only safe way is a 100$ eBay lcd/digitizer/glass set. The average used transformer prime is about 175-250$ with dock so it seems no matter what a repair isn't worth my time, id rather get a used one and sell my bad one for parts or give it away to an xda developer. The other downside is I feel it is EoL. The ram is always a bottleneck, app switching is painfully slow. I would love to mod but Asus made it extremely difficult and soft brick and hard bricks together can be more common than successful flashes on certain roms. That and kit Kat is limited and buggy availability for it. But the option of "restoring" it though is cheap :).

Outside of that is android tablets. What is good these days? This is mainly web and forum browsing with messengers on the side. Skype and hangouts performance is a necessary.

Im not married to android though, I probably have 8$ in paid apps. What is in the windows world?

Ive wanted a surface pro 2, sadly I have a sweet gaming desktop and a work provided 3rd gen I7 laptop. I feel that its a waste of $$$ for a couch surfer.

So I know it's broad and eclectic, can anyone help me here :).

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
That brings up an interesting point. While I don't mind the smaller form factor, im definitely preferential to the 10" models. But ill tour some smaller ones. I also think if I could get it on my Verizon plan that would be a nice bonus.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
I assume you want to keep to the same form factor (i.e. ~10" tablet for web browsing on the couch)

android: benefits = typically high resolution (2560x1600 or so)
nexus 10 (but no microSD slot), seen the 32GB version @ $300
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2/3, probably refub @ $150-$250
Note 10.1, $350 refurb
Note 10.1 2014 edition, higher resolution, option with Verizon LTE

windows RT:
find a cheap 1st gen or 2nd get Surface, ~$350 for 64GB
Nokia 2520 - $400

full windows (run any 32-bit windows app): Windows still isn't really touch friendly, lower resolution than android devices. Metro apps are touchfriendly, but they are fewer than android/iOS in quantity/quality
Asus T100 (~$280 for 32GB version, $330 for 64GB version)
Dell Venue 11 Pro (~$350 and up)
Hp Omni 11 (~$300)

Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
You haven't mentioned your size preference but since you only mentioned two 10 inch tablets, I guess that is the size you are going after.

If you want to stick with Android, I think the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 would be an excellent choice. It's got a great processor and screen and the pen is pretty cool.

Since you were looking at a Surface Pro 2, maybe consider the Surface Pro 1. You can buy a 64GB model off ebay for $400. Has 4GB of RAM, Core i5 processor, full sized USB port, and micro SD. Though the severe downside is it probably only gets about 5 hours of battery life and weights 2 pounds.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I just got a brand new Nexus 10 for $299.99 two days ago and am very happy with it...I know it doesn't have the internal card reader but I bought an OTG cable/reader which should arrive this afternoon (not the most ideal solution but it should do the job). I love the screen on this thing.

From a bang for your buck perspective (responsive 10" tablet with awesome resolution for $300), I am not sure if I could have gotten a better deal anywhere else....

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just got a brand new Nexus 10 for $299.99 two days ago and am very happy with it...I know it doesn't have the internal card reader but I bought an OTG cable/reader which should arrive this afternoon (not the most ideal solution but it should do the job). I love the screen on this thing.

From a bang for your buck perspective (responsive 10" tablet with awesome resolution for $300), I am not sure if I could have gotten a better deal anywhere else....

If you can return it, you should. Its last years model, Google is already dropping features from it on new versions of Android, and they are evidently not bringing a refreshed N10 to market.

(N10 owner)

Is the new N7 too small for your needs?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Galaxy note 10.1 (2014 edition) is great, but it's not cheap.

No, its not cheap. But, I have seen it come through a few couple Deal of the Day sites now for a decent mark down.

Wouldn't touch the Galaxy Tab 2s or 3s myself, they're severely underpowered. Coupled with Samsung's bloated UI, they're real dogs. And the 2s are the older model.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
About $400 with tax and shipping for a refurb.

I switched from the Prime to one of these, and it's night and day.

Which prime? My tf700 is acting up, so it's only a matter of time for me.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
TF Prime, same as the OP's.

I think the Asus TF701 is actually a pretty good device, but I'm never buying another 10" without multiwindow.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Everyone thank you for the multiple replies. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, some horrid work days lately. So I tried out a large amount of tablets today. On the Android platform the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 was amazing, though I couldn't directly compare to the differences between it and the Galaxy Tab Pro. Maybe someone more intune on the devices can tell me :).

On the windows side I couldn't find a Lumia 2520 to try, I'm guessing I'll have to hit up VZW to see one. I did try some smaller Windows RT tablets from various vendors and actually liked them alot. Even using 8.1RT it seems like I'm extremely comfortable with WIndows compared to Android (I feel like I have tons of capabilities at my fingertips). I'm going to look more into this route, I even enjoyed the Surface 2. The 100lb gorilla though was definitely the Surface Pro 2. For the 1300$ I'd have to pay for the model I want, I would get amazing features, and the steam streaming capability. Of course the SO wonders why I need one of these :).

For the record I am definitely leaning towards 10", my brother has a Nexus 7 2 and it is amazing (plus built in LTE), but at the same time compared to my Prime, even to his own admittence, the screen real estate was amazing from a usability standpoint. I REALLY REALLY want to a Nexus 10 2.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Well looks like the Nexus 10 2 isn't going to happen. So its the samsung twins (pro or note 2014) vs the surface 2 or pro 2....so hard :(

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
TabPro = lighter, 2gb vs 3gb, no S-Pen. Same dimensions though.