TA Cube Q down? Edit: It's back up! W/ Wildnet news

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
A lot of things haven't been going right for me lately, but a surprising number have.

The reason I only got half my usual production yesterday is that somebody decided to move half the computers so the KVMs won't be needed anymore. Problem is they forgot to make sure they had enough KBs, monitors, and especially network plugins! I eventually got almost all the computers running, but I'll have to swap some network cables to flush.

This morning I noticed I couldn't flush to seti.tacube.com. :( But the good news there is that the Wildnet, now that it's on a Linux with DNS, seems to be falling back to the main SETI server. I never inteded it, but it's OK with me! :)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
This just in: The Wildnet may not be long for this project. :(

It seems the guy in charge doesn't like the idea of 16 machines sitting unusable. He wants to let people use them with Linux on CD, which probably wouldn't include SETI. :(

Then the only question is whether the machines will run these CDs all the time. If not, maybe I can put my boot disks next to them, and people can pop in SETI when they're done. Maybe.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ken_g6
This just in: The Wildnet may not be long for this project. :(

It seems the guy in charge doesn't like the idea of 16 machines sitting unusable. He wants to let people use them with Linux on CD, which probably wouldn't include SETI. :(

Then the only question is whether the machines will run these CDs all the time. If not, maybe I can put my boot disks next to them, and people can pop in SETI when they're done. Maybe.

Tell him those PCs are NOT unused, they're running SETI. ;);)

Sorry to hear that :(, but as we've said before, losing a job over it isn't worth it. If you can get SETI on those images, or at least get him to run SETI when they are sitting idle, it would be better than losing them altogether. If not, at least you tried.

I'm debating on asking my boss if I can run SETI after hours on some training room PCs they have in the Chicago office, but I think they turn them off when not in use.