T1 ?????

TOOCOOL

Jun 12, 2000
my friend and i want to set up a T1 in his house we have no clue where to start or what it will cost can someone start us in the right direction?

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think if you find a good enough deal it can be found for 600 a month. Personally I think itd be faster and cheaper to go for a high end SDSL Connection.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Red is right. You can get a 1M DSL connection for about 1/6th the cost of a T1 (1.5M) and, unless you're serving up VERY high traffic sites, you'd never notice the difference.

Russ, NCNE

Akash

Jun 17, 2000
dont get a t1 to your house..thats retarted and inefficent...go with the sdsl or if u need more get 2 sdsl and bond them with the netopia sdsl router it will be a LOT more CHEAPER.. dis regard that if you are going to be useing a t1 to make money

barebottoms

Mar 26, 2000
Actually that varies a bit, but same ballpark. For T1's they charge you for the local loop back haul. If you were in Sacramento needed the T1 to terminate in SJ, that would be substantially more. But still in Pac Bell territory.

HD2GO

Nov 2, 1999
TOOCOOL, T1 to your home is NOT TOO COOL !!! Like most has suggested, go with DSL or Cable Modem. Unless, of course you are filty rich and have tons of cash to burn.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Those higher speed DSL/Cable are MUCH cheaper then a T1, T1 is expensive because they guarantee the speed and latency and down time.

Unless you're running a business, T1 is a BIG waste of money.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
A T1 is much better and much more reliable than DSL. And DSL has a couple of disadvantages because it's similar to cable modems in that a particular area all shares the same primary bandwidth from your DSL provider...even though your phone line acts as a dedicated link back to the switching station, you still have to share bandwidth with everyone connected to that switching station...

Another issue is if you plan to host a website... Most DSL providers do not allow you to have a static IP address. A T1 line would guarantee it and you could have your own domain name. That is what I would worry about most.

Wizkid

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
In Canada we have an awesome DSL provider that will give you a static ip for $5 / month and allows you to run any servers you want ( but charges you if you upload more than a few gigs per month ). http://www.dsl.ca Unforunately it's not available where I live, so I will have to live with cable and hope they don't change my ip or get mad at me for running a server :(

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Scarpozzi,

Please know what you're talking about before posting. DSL is NOT like Cable modem in that respect. Your notion is mistaken. I don't know where you came across that info, but it's incorrect.

DSL is much like a T-1, except that the ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier) doesn't give a rat's a** about repairing a consumer grade line. DSL is dedicated copper into a DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor). Providers must, these days at least, have a DS-3, for transit from the DSL provider to the ISP (sometimes they're one in the same, but most times not). Then it's all about the ISP's backbone and their connection to the Internet backbone.

The only difference here b/w a T-1 (DS1) and DSL is that there's transit from a "last mile" provider to the ISP.

That's much different that cable modem, where users are all connected into a common node in their neighborhood, then transported to the Internet backbone. That neighborhood node can and does, easily, become overloaded.

Granted T-1 is MUCH more reliable. However, your argument about "A T1 line would guarantee it and you could have your own domain name..." is again mistaken. Most providers today offer both residential and business DSL service. One of the big differences being the ability to serve. With business service comes static IPs.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What I was referring to is the shared bandwidth from the DSLAM. You should be able to get a download of at least 1mbps downstream and 256kbps upstream However, there are claims that you can get up to 6mbit/sec downstream, 600 kbit/sec upstream at 12,000 feet...but I'm much closer than that and haven't had those numbers yet. My comparison to cable modems is that you have to share bandwidth with everyone else on your provider's network one way or another... The difference is that cable modems are a bus(you're sharing with a neighborhood pretty much or however they group the connections)...and DSL is point to point, but if you get too many losers going through the same DSLAM as you sucking up bandwidth by downloading mp3s off Napster and movies off wherever, then you're just out of luck unless your provider monitors its accounts.

As far as the static ip on a business account. You are right. I just was just thinking of the situation I'm in right now... I do not have a static ip since I have a residential account. Sorry for any confusion that might have caused anyone.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
No.....I'm running an Alcatel Speedtouch and running that to a small router for my network. The DSL modem I'm using was a mandatory purchase from my provider...or so they say. Not too bad for around $100.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm not familiar with that device. The Speedstream 5260s seem to have some issues though. Specifically higher ping times and poor throughput. Those devices use a newer DSL line encoding (DMTF 4), so it could be something with that as well.

BTW, most DSLAMS are outfitted with DS-3 or OC-3 ATM cards for transport. Typically more than enough bandwidth for how many users one can fit onto a single chassis. I'm a little familiar with the Ascend Max TNTs that some providers use, and I know Covad uses Diamond Lane (now owned by Nokia) stuff, though I'm never seen one/set one up/used one.

CTR

Jun 12, 2000
Another interesting thing about T1 vs DSL is that a T1 is technically a public utility, due to its original role as a high-capacity voice line. When your T1 goes down, the phone company HAS to get it back up right away. If they don't get it back up right away, you can call the Public Utilities Commission (or just threaten to do it) and you will get results. When you DSL goes down, it's not a big deal to the phone company. Trust me, I work for a phone company and I know that DSL is not as high a priority as leased-line service.

Also, I don't believe anybody has mentioned that T1 is a point-to-point connection between sites. With DSL, you always have to go through the public network to get to another site.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Is it possible to bond 2 DSL lines together into one router for one lan connnection? Hmmm, 2 1.5 meg DSL lines together would almost equal a t-3! Our cable out here is 3 megs download, jesusm, 2 of those would be 6 megs! What kind of router can do this?

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
"2 1.5 meg DSL lines together would almost equal a t-3"

Not even close. T-3 is around 43 Mb

helloworld

Banned
Mar 22, 2000

<< Is it possible to bond 2 DSL lines together into one router for one lan connnection? Hmmm, 2 1.5 meg DSL lines together would almost equal a t-3! >>

<chuckle>

-:(

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
globix:

$899 a month, 1.54 Mbps t-1, with local loop
$1,199 a month, 1.54 Mbps t-1 with local loop, router and firewall.
$2,799 a month, 4 Mbps burstable t-3 with local loop
$15,299 a month 45 Mbps t-3 with local loop and router.

from a flyer i picked up from pc expo today.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Sure you can have a T-1 at home. I've installed a router for a few of our T-1 customer's and it was in their home. If you have the $$$ a TelCo will run the circuit.

Maverick215

Mar 17, 2000
I was once talking with this FILTHY rich guy online one day WaR3Z trayder. He was wanting to setup his own distro site, he was wanting to setup dual T3 site so jokingly I told him.. hell why not just get an OC-12 or something... I think he ended up getting that OC-12.. so yes it can be done.... if this guy can get an OC-12 you can get a T1 if that's what your little heart desires... or perhaps I could interest you in an OC-768 :) BTW for reference... I'm pretty sure most of the current backbone is OC-12 Qwest is OC-192.. OC-1 is roughly equal to one T3... and for those with WAY too much cash, first you can give some to me :) then you can buy an OC-768 with Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) and achieve roughly 10 tera bits per sec.... now we're cookin with gas :)