T-Pain can't sing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
No audio engineer would let a song like that out of a studio if Auto-Tune was just being used for pitch conrrection.

I'm not so sure. Have you ever listened to a Three Days Grace album?

After reading this thread I'm blown away at how clueless people are. This has been out there for so long that I would have imagined that by now listeners would know that their favorite artist probably can't sing any better than the average guy off the street. Apparently not.

Mar 10, 2005
the latest comment left on youtube

"lol your a fukin dumbass he can sing i herd him live. you ever herd him live? even with your voice thing you sound like crap. he can sing. the voice thing is sick he makes it sound good. and he could shit on a hundred doller bill and pay someone to throw it at you. so dont hate."

there ya go. BerkeleyBayArea510 herd him live. i wonder how much would i have to pay someone to throw a shitty hundred doller bill at someone else. BerkeleyBayArea510, if you dig AT and i know you do, please step up with the answer.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Feh, you'd have to be seriously tone deaf to not get a decent sounding take in a day of studio time. Or hell, they could chop up a day's worth of takes and piece them together. This type of music is so repetitive you'd never know the difference. They can make anyone sound good in the studio.

So, the effect probably serves both purposes. Masks pitch issues and gives it a distinctive style.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Feh, you'd have to be seriously tone deaf to not get a decent sounding take in a day of studio time. Or hell, they could chop up a day's worth of takes and piece them together. This type of music is so repetitive you'd never know the difference. They can make anyone sound good in the studio.

So, the effect probably serves both purposes. Masks pitch issues and gives it a distinctive style.

Well the big "revealing factor" here is that Autotune GK can be done in hardware, live.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Singing nowadays is overrated.
Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Bobby Vinton now those are great singers.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Singing nowadays is overrated.
Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, Bobby Vinton now those are great singers.

Most of the american idol singers can actually sing. Not that i like the show.