T-Pain can't sing?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Auto-Tune is used on nearly EVERY pop record made today, including rock records. Usually it is used in a more transparent method, but crank up the controls, and anyone sounds like T-Pain or Akon. But seriously, Auto-Tune has made many records hits that wouldn't have been otherwise. Some of those records are good, some aren't. Many bands and artists can thank it for their success.

Auto-Tune has made these careers possible:
Jimmy Eat World
Fall Out Boy
Hoobastank
Rhianna
Yellowcard
Limp Bizkit
and on and on...

A better question would be which albums DON'T use Auto-Tune?

A good bet is that any artist who was making albums before, say 1995, and their voice sounds more or less the same as it did then is probably not using it.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Auto-Tune is used on nearly EVERY pop record made today, including rock records. Usually it is used in a more transparent method, but crank up the controls, and anyone sounds like T-Pain or Akon. But seriously, Auto-Tune has made many records hits that wouldn't have been otherwise. Some of those records are good, some aren't. Many bands and artists can thank it for their success.

Jimmy Eat World
Fall Out Boy
Hoobastank
Rhianna
Yellowcard
Limp Bizkit
and on and on...

A good bet is that any artist who was making albums before, say 1995, and their voice sounds more or less the same as it did then is probably not using it.

You might be right on some of those. But, Rihanna and Akon can both sing very well. Check out live performances of the artists to see which can actually sing (Sean Kingston for example is HORRIBLE)

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

Jimmy Eat World
Fall Out Boy
Hoobastank
Rhianna
Yellowcard
Limp Bizkit
and on and on...

You might be right on some of those. But, Rihanna and Akon can both sing very well. Check out live performances of the artists to see which can actually sing (Sean Kingston for example is HORRIBLE)

The guy in the video was using Autotune as he was singing live. What makes you beleive the aretists don't use it in concert.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
This video doesn't prove that the "artist" in question can't sing. It only illustrates what vocals sound like when Auto-Tune isn't set up properly.
What you are hearing in the original song is deliberate artifacting to achieve a funky audio effect.
It's similar to the Cher song "I Believe". In fact, that song sort of set the standard and started a wave of songs that used Auto-Tune incorrectly, on purpose. In the industry it is known as The Cher Effect.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I have no idea whether or not T-Pain can ACTUALLY sing, but I do realize that I'm sure he knows what that effect sounds like and was deliberately trying to produce it. If anyone actually believed that his voiced sounded like that, then I don't know what to say - I didn't realize anyone actually thought he was trying to pass it off as unchanged vocals. I think the effect can sound pretty cool, regardless of actual vocal talent.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
What does the Linkin Park guy use? He can't carry a tune in a bucket live, but he's on pitch in the studio.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
I have no idea whether or not T-Pain can ACTUALLY sing, but I do realize that I'm sure he knows what that effect sounds like and was deliberately trying to produce it. If anyone actually believed that his voiced sounded like that, then I don't know what to say - I didn't realize anyone actually thought he was trying to pass it off as unchanged vocals. I think the effect can sound pretty cool, regardless of actual vocal talent.

Now this is coming from someone rap/hip-hop ignorant but, I think the issue isn't whether fans thought that voice was altered, but this tries to reveal that the alteration wasn't deliberate, but a side effect of an attempt to hide a deficit in talent.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: nkgreen
What does the Linkin Park guy use? He can't carry a tune in a bucket live, but he's on pitch in the studio.

He may use Auto-Tune or another similar pitch correction product. There is a correct way to use the tool where it sounds transparent to the casual listener. There is also a way to use it where the tool's controls are incorrectly set so that the tool leaves traces of the correction. Some time, depending on the song and/or the producer, an incorrectly setup Auto-Tune is desirable.

The Youtube video demonstrated the use of the product as a vocal effect. However, it seems that the Youtube user that uploaded the video believed that T-Pain was using it to correct his vocal melody. No audio engineer would let a song like that out of a studio if Auto-Tune was just being used for pitch conrrection. The use of Auto-Tune in T-Pain's song is clearly for a stylized, vocoder effect.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I'm still convinced the best hardware in the world STILL couldn't make me sound worth a damn.

Cool vid tho.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher

Now this is coming from someone rap/hip-hop ignorant but, I think the issue isn't whether fans thought that voice was altered, but this tries to reveal that the alteration wasn't deliberate, but a side effect of an attempt to hide a deficit in talent.

I imagine since the effect is pretty common in hip-hop these days it's stylistic. Akon does the same thing, as do a number of others.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
i think people already know he can't sing and even though they can use the effect for live concerts, listen to a concert on youtube...he sounds a lot different.

about akon and rihanna, yea i think both do actually have natural singing abilities but still, i wouldn't doubt they use something to help with their voice. i think some of their songs are more natural than others. sometimes when they can't make an effect naturally, they use software.

anyway, if you don't like said rapper/singer or any other, who cares. the world doesn't care what you think. i know i don't.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

I imagine since the effect is pretty common in hip-hop these days it's stylistic. Akon does the same thing, as do a number of others.
:evil:Maybe, there is a deficit in talent in hip-hop these days.:evil:

Did I say that?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

:evil:Maybe, there is a deficit in talent in hip-hop these days.:evil:

Did I say that?

I don't think rappers are supposed to be able to sing. ;) It's not quite the opera.