T-mobile WiFi

gateT

Nov 6, 2000
They say you can connect to the internet any where you have a T-mobile signal(true/not true)?
Do you get a "high speed" connection? The Gc79 cards (56k) are much cheaper on ebay than the GC89 (200k).
If you don't really get a high speed signal the cheaper card should be a better deal.

Any comments from users would be welcome.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
I use tmobile GPRS to connect to the internet via my blackberry.

Things you need to know.

GPRS is a little slower than a 56k modem but not too bad.
You need a data plan such as mobile internet or unlimited blackberry service. Tzones will NOT cut it.
If you get an EDGE enabled card (or cell phone) it is MUCH MUCH faster, just make sure it is a full speed edge card. Some only transmit at ~100k.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
In the past, before T-Mobile blocked off all the ports, you could use your cell phone as a GPRS modem for free. All you had to do was get a bluetooth adapter for your laptop, then create a new connection in Network Connections with this funky number. When you ran the connection, it'd have the phone connect to GPRS, pull data in, and bring it to the laptop. This didn't even consume any minutes!

I hear that this trick still works for one of the data plans, though you'd have to shell out to use it now, as under no data plan, the've blocked off most of the ports.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I've not used T-Mobile, but have used the Verizon service. With a good signal it was like a bad wifi connection; fast enough for web pages and e-mail, don't recommend DLing even moderately sized files. This was with an integrated CDMA card

gateT

Nov 6, 2000
Sorry been away for awhile.
I would be using the gs89 laptop card,which is an edge/gprs.It doesn't say what the max speed is but I think it's suppose to be around 250k.
Don't think I would be doing much DLing.Need it for Ameritrade when I'm on the road.It would be nice if it was fast enough to run the streamer?