T-Bird shims from Azzo: do they work well?

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
I have one that's not from Azzo, and I don't notice much difference. Its only pretty much for protecting you from crushing the core. But the shim has to be very precisely manufactured, so that it isn't too thin or too thick

Phunktion

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Azzo? I have a Coolerguys.com non-conductive one and it doesn't do anything but stop the heatsink rocking from side to side and crushing the core..

I myself wouldn't recommend the copper shims or even the anodized shims (it can chip off) because there is still the potential to short out the CPU..

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
I just ordered an anodized shim from bestbyte.net

It says on their web site that it is nonconductive though. I mainly bought it because all you people scared the hell outta me!

Jun 16, 2001
Me too. After all the stuff I heard about crushed and chipped cores I got a nonconductive shim from crazypc. I don't know if it made it easier for me to install the hsf, but it certainly gave me more confidence that I wasn't going to destroy the core. I needed all the confidence I could get after I jizzed (sorry, no other word fits) Arctic Silver all over my bridges and other places it shouldn't be. I did a lousy job squeezing a pinhead full of that stuff out. Rubbing alcohol is a wonderful thing.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
yeah, they have to be precisely manufactured... very precisely. but i really recommed one that is somewhat "rubbery" or with some stiff open foam side to take the compresssion of the hs. a completely stiff one would not be very good.

but that's besides the point. i recommend one.