T-balancer

HomerSapien

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2000
After reading some htpc forums, i came across this product, the T-Balancer. Some people on other forums swear this thing almost made their computer dead quiet while using it with Panaflo L1s. Im tempted to try since quiet is really important to me, but $80 is alot to just try it.

Any one use this/ seen one/ heard about ?

edit: just searched forums again and this time found one other topic. rliaos thread

akira34

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2004
For almost $82 it better not only make a computer silent, but make coffee for the person AND give them good oral... :shocked:

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
You can make your computer quiet without spending 82 dollars, but if you have the cash to blow, why not.

imported_KFC

Jan 15, 2005
Correct me if i'm wrong but with normal fan controller there's only 5V - 12V so it doesn't matter how silent your fans are you'r still gonna hear them. With this you can set your fans to roll with something like 1.3V so you don't hear them at all.

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
You can probably get a fan controller with a wider range of voltages, but most probably keep it higher because they don't want people burning out their CPU's by accident.

You can make your own "fan controller", (which is just a fancy name for a resistor with a knob - potentiometer) that can go to whatever ranges you want. You can get a potentiometer from Radio Shack for maybe $2.

imported_KFC

Jan 15, 2005
But you don't get all this with 2$:

Features of the control unit:

Free configuration, operation and monitoring with Windows software, connection via internal and/or external USB
Free definition of temperature and speed with response curves, ideal adaption to the inner life of a PC
Unit has its own microprocessor chip, which works independent from the motherboard: no performance loss and increased security
95% degree of effectiveness with no performance loss or heat dissipation
4 Mainboard outputs for the tachosignal: Tachometer with delivered Windows-Software or with mainboard monitoring tools
Unit does not take up valuable space, can be installed internally
Language support for English, German and soon more: Skins and language files are editable
Open source for communication protocol: for new independent software developments
Firmware update via USB

Features of the fans:

4 separate configurable channels, each channel with 15 Watts
separate speed recognition and 4 separate tacho signal output to mainboard
accurate speed control in manual or automatic mode via editable response curves
fans can be control to an absolut speed minimum, down to 2% depending on fan model
with analog smoothing and filtering a quiet smooth operation of fans will be ensured
with the Attenuator an additional smoothing ensures even more silence at very low speeds (10-30%) and a compability with all fans
adaptive PWM allows to adjust frequence for every fan model to avoid noises
free definable hysteresis allow a smooth operation even at steep response curves, no "up and down"
manual switching of fans possible
start-up speed test ensures operation of fans
0 rpm speed possible: if temperature rises, the controller speeds up the fan according to the response curve

Features of the sensors:

supports up to 8 sensors
accurate, digital, linear band-gab sensors (0°-125°C)
all temperature sensors can be calibrated separately
temperatur sensors are connected with a new easy plug bus system: not every sensor to the central unit (no spaghetti), but from sensor to sensor
free assignment of sensors and fans: many sensors to one fan (the hottest counts), or many fans to one sensor possible

Safety features:

start-up check during system start: all fans are tested shortly with 100% speed
sensor loss control: if a sensor looses its connection, the connected fan will be speeded up to 100%
Built-in protection against permanent fan blockage: if a fan stops, the controller speeds up to 100%. If that does not help, an optical and acoustical alarm will be performed
If the critical temperatures exceed: fans are switched to 100% and an optical and acoustical alarm will be performed
Manufacturer defaults: all fans switched on
Fail-Safe: if a hardware error on the controller occurs, all fans are switched on
optical and acoustic alarm signals: integrated LEDs, connector for external LED and integrated loud buzzer
speed meter functionality with outputs to mainboard

Modding features:

Connect some CCFL to your T-Balancer and get additional effects:
manual switch and dim
temperature-sensetive dimming
free configurable switching limits
with an additional software: light effects (fast sequences, stroboscope, waves and more)
with an effect editor (editable of parameters in a text file)

Its like you can buy a case with 5$ but then again wouldn't you just love brand new Lian Li? :)

Cawchy87

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2004
What a useless thing. You can buy who knows how many panaflow LA1's and nexus fan controllers for that. I don't even hear my computer and thats all I have.

Cawchy87

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2004
I don't own a delta fan. I have 2 80mm smart fans (competely silent). and 2 120mm panaflo L1A fans reduced to 5v.

Bluefront

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2002
I have to laugh at some of the moronic replies in this thread. This is probably the the best fan controller available for computer users. It is specifically designed for computer use....not just some cobbed together $2 POS from Radio Shack.

So you'll blow $50 on some silly computer game.....but a perfectly designed fan control system for $80 is too expensive. My God...

akira34

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Bluefront
I have to laugh at some of the moronic replies in this thread. This is probably the the best fan controller available for computer users. It is specifically designed for computer use....not just some cobbed together $2 POS from Radio Shack.

So you'll blow $50 on some silly computer game.....but a perfectly designed fan control system for $80 is too expensive. My God...

With a computer game, at least you get entertainment that didn't come with your system. You CAN get a system to run silent, or damned close to it, by spending a hell of a lot less than the $82 (plus shipping) on that thing. Plus, you'll have to figure out where to mount it inside your system. PLUS, having to install additional software is bogus. Also, running fans at ~1.3v makes them spin so low it's not even worth having fans. That is, unless you're talking about fans like the tornado that spins so fast at full voltage it will make your ears bleed. You can use a ~$5 controller to get your fans down to ~5v and have them silent, or low enough that you won't be able to hear them from a foot or two away.

IF you start off with fans made to have low noise, or run silent, then that $82 item is a total waste of money. Considering how you can controll 4 fans for a lot less money, WITHOUT chewing up one of your USB ports, it's a lot better. I wouldn't get it even if it ran off of one of the mobo USB headers since I'm using both of those in my rig.

If you have the $82+ to blow on it, then do it. Just remember you got that item that was 100% unnecessary... Then when you're short on getting your next upgrade, remember where you blew your money...

V00D00

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
You guys must have misunderstood me. I said the $2 thing was for a simple fan controller with one of those little dials that KFC was refering too. The $2 thing is just a little potentiometer that will work at whatever voltages you want. I never said it could replace a unit like this, I do know this.

This looks like a great unit, not worth the money IMO, but a good addition for a fan-atic.. har har har

HomerSapien

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2000
Further reading about it, your really buying software to control the fans. It is extremely customizable. At Sage Tv Forums post

A couple of people bought them there for htpcs and they seem like they would work great for those. Gaming computers might have problems since they usually generate more heat.

Anyways, $80 is a lot, but considering how much i have spent on other items for the computer to just tinker with or make it quiet, its not that bad. (btw,I have hated every fan controller i have bought.) For me it might be worth it since i leave my computer on and turning the fans down at night is annoying. I have L1a's but the whir they make bugs me when they are at low speed.

edit:
Originally posted by: Cawchy87
Almost as usless as this. http://www.ehostsolution.com/shop/DVD+Rewinder

thats funny...lol

Bluefront

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2002
Keeping a computer as quiet as possible all the time, and keeping the computer as cool as necessary, even when gaming, and doing the whole thing on automatic.......requires a good fan control system. Not too many of them around.

The T-Balancer is one......check out the L.I.S. 2 It has some advantages over the T-Balancer......but without as much control over the system. Looks neat though. If you get one of these units, it would be an easy thing just to move it to your next computer when you get one.

Both will probably last longer than that last dumb game you bought....