Systen won't shut down

islandia

Aug 2, 2000
I have to pull the power plug in order to get my pc to shut down. Can someone tell me what might be the problem? thanks.

Asus CUSL2-C
PIII 700E overclock to 933mhz
Mushkin rev3
IBM 75 GXP
Gladiac 32mb GTS

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
There are features within windows so that when u tell it shutdown u can make it sleep/idle instead... it's stupid, make sure the setting for shutdown is actually shutdown.

Ladi

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2000
What operating system are you running?

Does the system hang when it tries to shut down? When? Even when trying to shut down right after booting (ie, before running any applications)? In safe mode?

If 98/98se, have you installed the shutdown patches available on Windows Update?

How are you trying to shut down? Start>Shutdown or are you talking about using the power button on your computer?

Is there anything visible (applications, etc) in your task manager that may be causing the system to hang at shutdown?

Did this problem just start? If so, have you recently installed any hardware/software?

Have you defragged your hard drive recently?

~Ladi

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
Most ATX mobo's / powersupplies require you to hold the button for ~4 secs unless you pick instant off in bios, but if you are locked instant off becomes 4 sec again. That should work regardless of your OS. As far as your OS not shutting you down, that is most likely a software issue. Some TSR is hanging when issued the end task command by OS shutdown routine.

P.S. If holding your power button for ~4 secs doesn't shut you down then you might have a mobo issue or bad power supply.

islandia

Aug 2, 2000
Thanks for all the replies! I'm running Windows ME. To shut down I use start-shutdown. I get a message saying something like 'windows is shutting down'and then the monitor would go blank. However, the box would still be on. Pushing the power button doesn't do anything. I have to physically unplug the power plug to shut everything off. This is a new system that I had just put together a couple of weeks ago. At first, the problem would come and go but in the last three days it just refused to shut off.

UF Jspec

Oct 15, 1999
I have a feeling that you may have miswired something going from the motherboard to the power supply or from the motherboard to the power switch. I'd also check the BIOS power settings.

piercedan

Mar 9, 2001
Me has a shut down problem. Try pressing and holding the power button for ten seconds. This works sometimes.