System won't boot...turns off after few seconds

SDOG34

Apr 21, 2001
Hi all,

I shipped some old parts to my GF and now that I am visiting, I decided to put them all together for her as a new computer. Anyways, here is the problem:

The computer won't post...it powers up and all fans, leds, etc. are working just fine. The motherboard even gives me its audio cue: "system failed memory test" and then promptly shuts down. It always happens at the exact same time.

I have tried cleaning and reapplying thermal grease, but there were no changes. I have also tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper and by removing the battery. I am thinking at this point that it is either: fried CPU or a bad PSU. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please bear in mind that I had this exact MB, CPU, RAM combo running flawlessly for 2+ years. The problem may very well be the crap 350W PSU that came with the X-Sonic case I bought her. Is this symptomatic of a bad PSU, a bad CPU, both, or neither?

AMD 2500+ Barton
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Kingston Hyper-X 3500
Maxtor 100 GB HD
Floppy
DVD-Rom

SDOG34

Apr 21, 2001
I've tried putting the two sticks in as many configurations as I can, but I don't think that RAM is the issue. I often got the same error message when it was my computer and it always booted up just fine. It could be the RAM, it could be practically anything at this point, but I don't think it is for several reasons because I have tried both sticks individually, tried them in all possible configurations, and both sticks worked fine in my old setup (which was with the same MB).

If it were the RAM, would the computer automatically turn itself off like it is?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: SDOG34
I've tried putting the two sticks in as many configurations as I can, but I don't think that RAM is the issue. I often got the same error message when it was my computer and it always booted up just fine. It could be the RAM, it could be practically anything at this point, but I don't think it is for several reasons because I have tried both sticks individually, tried them in all possible configurations, and both sticks worked fine in my old setup (which was with the same MB).

If it were the RAM, would the computer automatically turn itself off like it is?

Then it could be a problem with the mobo detecting the tried and true ram as bad. Too bad.

SDOG34

Apr 21, 2001
It could be, but I've had bad RAM before and it doesn't shut itself off when the RAM is bad...it simply doesn't post.

Any other thoughts?

SDOG34

Apr 21, 2001
I hope not. Would it shut itself down if it was anything other than an overheating processor...i.e. would bad RAM or a bad mobo cause the computer to shut itself off?