Golden Member
Mar 19, 2006
The parts just came in the mail, and I built the PC. The specs are below:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Mobo
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R 450W ATX12V PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
2GB Crucial 800MHz RAM
eVGA GeForce 9800GT

So, when I press the power button, the system fans come on and work fine. The motherboard's LED's come on. However, nothing else seems to be getting power. The graphics card, CPU + CPU fan, DVD drive, and hard drives seem to be getting no power at all. There is no display on the screen (although the monitor is getting signal). After turning on the computer, and then turning it back off, the CPU fan seems to give a feeble attempt at running, but nothing from then on.

Everything seems to be connected fine, including the 24-pin ATX socket. However, one thing I was not able to plug in was some ATX 2x4 pin connector. My power supply did not have the right connector. I think this may be the reason why nothing except the CPU fans are getting power.

Could this be the problem? Does an adapter exist that would help me out?

Edit: So I plugged in a 2x2 connector, leaving a 4 pins on the ATX connector free. System POSTs fine, all the components work. Should I get an adapter for the rest of the 4 pins?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
You problem is you have an inadiquate PSU. If you don't have a power connector on the 4/8 pin connector near the CPU then the CPU isn't getting any power. Even if you had all the things connected right that PSU doesn't offer enough power for your system. Yes a 450W PSU may be able to power it but only if it has enough of that power going to the 12V rails. I suggest you get a 500W or better PSU and get a good quality one. Don't go cheap on the power.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Shadow Conception
But does it really need the entire 4x2 ATX connector filled, or is just one 2x2 connector sufficient?

Unless you're overclocking to the point of instability, don't sweat it.

Shadow Conception

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2006
So, the power supply really seems to be causing problems, as mpilchfamily said. S'what I get for not listening I guess. :(

I'm now looking at this PSU, an OCZ one. Is it decent enough? It has the 4x2 ATX connector.

Edit: And this as well, a slightly cheaper Cooler Master PSU with less wattage. I'd prefer to buy this one, as it's cheaper and has free shipping. I don't know how reliable Cooler Master is with power supplies though.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The OCZ would be a great choice. The Cooler Master one will work but if you can spend the money then stick with the OCZ. Even better would be a 500W or larger Corsair PSU. The VX 450 may be able to fit the bill as well and save you a bit of money.