sharathc

Sep 19, 2014
The desktop configuration as follows:

CPU - Intel 2.9 GHz LGA 1155 G2020 (stock heatsink/fan), TDP = 55W
GPU - Sapphire DUAL-X AMD Radeon R9 270X with Boost OC 2 GB, TDP = 180W
PSU - Corsair VS550
MB - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
SSD - Kingston SV300S37A 60GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (stock heatsink)
CAB - Cooler Master Elite 311 Mid Tower (stock cabinet fan)
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
DRIVERS - Latest AMD Catalyst ver. 14.4

This new system was assembled yesterday; to dedicate the computing resources to the BOINC Einstein@Home project. So it is supposed to be run 24/7/365 (at least planned). Am using the ATI OpenCL-optimized BOINC client. I strictly do NOT intend to play games and strictly NO overclocking. All components always run at normal / reference speeds for stability.

PROBLEM: The system shuts down abruptly within 3 - 5 min when the GPU load goes Max (>99%). At max load, the temp stays between 72 - 75 deg. Cel (GPU-Z readings during the death time). This is happening when using BOINC client or FurMark stress test. This does not happen when the CPU alone is stressed (ran a Prime95 stress test whole overnight successfully without any error).

Also, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and found no problem. Just to mention, while I did some research on this problem, I found out that most point at PSU as the high probable suspect, but,

* Bad PSU: Even though Corsair VS550 is entry-level, I hope it delivers the power which the system is expecting,
* Lower Amps on +12V line: Corsair VS550 spec says, it delivers 42A on +12V line at 240V-5A. I live in India, so it is 240V and I plug the PSU mains into a wall socket directly which is rated at 5A. I hope 42A on +12V is sufficient for R9 270X and the CPU.

Am totally confused what could be wrong. Please advice.

-- Sharath

Feb 19, 2009
Your PSU cannot sustain that load and probably lead to voltage droop or noise. That behaviour you describe is 99% of the time due to a crap PSU.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Best guess is new PSU is defective. I wouldn't expect a 270X, even under DC load, to exceed 150-180W. Your CPU isn't that watt-hungry.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
I had a xfx 6850 where the fan would just stop spinning after some use and the system would just shut down. the psu listed doesnt seem to be bad and I dont know if you can try another gpu but that is what I would do.

what are your observations of the system, any strange sounds or smells?

sharathc

Sep 19, 2014
@monstercameron, I observed the system physically by keeping the cabinet covers removed during all the stress times for the anomaly you mentioned. I can confirm that, CPU/PSU/GPU fans are all working properly and they spin-up/down properly as the load increases/decreases.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I had a very similar problem and to identify it I had to swap out the video card. Once I did that no matter what I did, I could not cause the computer to shut down. Try and swap out the video card with something else.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I would try downclocking the GPU just to see if it could be a bad video card. Set it at 1000MHz core, 1200MHz (4800MHz) memory in the Catalyst Control Center. Any 270X should be able to sustain those settings.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
It sounds like either the PSU or maybe the video card. Instant shutdowns means the power ain't cutting it.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I had a friend that was having shutdowns like that. His 7970 would show temps within normal range and then his PC would turn off soon after starting up Guild Wars 2. We tried a different PSU and got the same results. We then removed the heatsink/fan assembly on the GPU and found it dried to something like clay. Replaced it and he was good as new.

So long as removing your heatsink/fan assembly does not break your warranty, I'd check it out too along with the PSU.