System Performance Poor....Need Help

djtech2k

Jan 11, 2005
OK, so I have an outdated rig, I know. I did build it a few years ago with good quality parts, but I am delaying building a new one because I don't have the time and dont want to have to spend the $$, but I am rapidly approaching a frustration level of just doing it.

So here is my issue. I do many things on my rig, but my enjoyment part is gaming. I play all sorts of games, but the example I will use is Call of Duty 2 and 4. My original rig, which is in my signature, is the one I been using. I just replaced my grafx card form the 7800GTX to an EVGA GTX 260 (216pipes). In order to get this thing on my DFI board, I had to stop using 2 of my Nvidia SATA slots so only my OS hard drive is on the faster Nvidia slots now. Thats just an annoyance and not why I am posting. My annoyance is that with this new card, my graphical performance is not nearly what I want it to be. I was getting 125+ FPS in COD2 almost 99% of the time. I put in this new card with performance settings (Directx7, etc) and I am only getting a bouncing rate of like 170-210FPS. It jumps a lot, but never touches like 220. I was expecting 300+ constant from what I have heard. I cannot even get close.

So my question/concern is: Is my rig really bottle-necking that card THAT badly or is there some tweaking that I can do to bump the performance? I have my memory/cpu OC'd a moderate amount, but nothing drastic. Is there anything that I should change to get a noticeable impact or am I stuck until I buy something new?

System settings from cpuz are attached.

CPUZ-Report

Any feedback is appreciated.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: djtech2k
Is my rig really bottle-necking that card THAT badly

Yes, that's a CPU bottleneck, but I don't see why you think it's bottlenecking "THAT badly" - if you're getting a framerate higher than your monitor's refresh rate, it doesn't matter how high it is. And even if you did have a 300Hz monitor somehow, you wouldn't be able to discern the difference between 125 and 300 FPS.

djtech2k

Jan 11, 2005
Originally posted by: vj8usa
Is my rig really bottle-necking that card THAT badly

Yes, that's a CPU bottleneck, but I don't see why you think it's bottlenecking "THAT badly" - if you're getting a framerate higher than your monitor's refresh rate, it doesn't matter how high it is. And even if you did have a 300Hz monitor somehow, you wouldn't be able to discern the difference between 125 and 300 FPS.

I know what you are saying, but there are things in games that are possible with very high FPS that are not possible with lower levels. So I am ot saying this from a "what I see" perspective, but from a capabilities perspective.

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
yea... i'm not sure any of us understand what are these "things in games that are possible with very high FPS that are not possible with lower levels". If you are talking about things that happen in the game, I think you have false information as the game shouldn't change with a higher fps. If you are talking from a purely performance standpoint... why would you need >100fps? Few people if any will benefit from a refresh rate >100fps and if you are playing on a LCD, it only refreshes at 60hz anyway so anything higher is a waste and will never transfer to any performance you will see.
Only point of upgrading CPU would be to increase minimum fps. My friend went from x2 3800 @ 2.7ghz to e7200 @3.8ghz because his minimum fps in crysis was in the teens, which was unplayable. The upgrade increased it to 30+. But if you are talking about 100+, there is absolutely no point from any perspective. I'm not even sure if any CRTs will do >100hz at any decent resolution.

djtech2k

Jan 11, 2005
I know some people doubt it, but there are things that hugh FPS will do for you. For example, in some of the COD series, there are spots that you can jump to or get to ONLY if you have a certain lever of FPS. I know it does not make technical sense, but it is very well known in the COD competitive community. It is just strange but true.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
what djtech2k about FPS abilities in games is true, if played FPS games b4... alot of games have bugs witch will give advantages to higher fps.

but i have another suggestion.. keep what u got and dont waist the time or money, enjoy it for what it is cause its not that bad. theres better ways to spend your time and money in life.. and you wont get as much fullfillment beating someone in the game, as you would now knowing thy have that tiny advantage.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I know some people doubt it, but there are things that hugh FPS will do for you. For example, in some of the COD series, there are spots that you can jump to or get to ONLY if you have a certain lever of FPS. I know it does not make technical sense, but it is very well known in the COD competitive community. It is just strange but true.

So you basically bought the videocard that the guy that got 300fps has but none of the other components and hoped you got 300 as well I'm assuming. With that said you need to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram to raise your minimun fps. Getting a new videocard will let you turn up AA/AF and the goodies with no performance hit but won't raise your min fps much like a new cpu will as you can see cus your cpu is the bottleneck. You gatta pay to play, especially if you want to play competitive.

djtech2k

Jan 11, 2005
Trust me, I know what you are saying and thats not what I had in mind. I bought the card and was hoping I would see more gain in performance, just enough to delay a new system build, but I have known for a while that I would need to build a new rig soon.

I bought the card in hopes it would just delay the build, but intended to use this card in the new system. So its no loss, I just wondered if there was any system specific settings I could OC or tweak that would have a nice impact.

Trust me, I knew I was going to rebuild, I just wondered if I could tweak this system better until I do.