System Instability: PSU?

AznLemming

Dec 4, 2003
So I checked my system stability recently with Prime95, and it fails any and all tests in 4 minutes or less. I've run MemTest on my RAM, and found that one stick was faulty. So after taking it out and running Prime95 again, I still have the same instability problem. I took everything out of my computer, except for a stick of RAM, CPU, HDD with my OS partition, and my GFX card... and it still isn't stable.

A friend told me that it might be because of fluctuations coming from my power source? My +5V node varies from 4.8V to 5V constantly. Like, it's always going back and forth every second or so. Is this within an acceptable range? It might make sense if this is the problem, cuz my CPU fan's RPM is constantly shifting between 3000 - 5000RPM. And 2 of my HDD's have died recently. Maybe it screwed my RAM too? I dunno... Help would be appreciated. Thanks. =^)

Also, if anyone knows how to recover HDDs, plz let me know. Apparently the information inside the drives is still intact, as are the partitions. But for some reason, WinXP doesn't recognize the file formats as NTFS, even tho boot-up programs like TestDisk see it as NTFS. However, WinXP DOES see the two partitions... I just can't do anything with them. They're just sitting there in "My Computer." =^\ But yeah, more important question is the PSU one ^_^ TYTY

-AznLemming

NgtFlyer

Feb 25, 2004
If you have access to a good quality 300W+ power supply, test your system with that first. Often, cheap or underrated power supplies are a cause of instability. If your power supply feels like it has nothing inside the metal case when you remove it from your system, I'd suspect it. A good PSU definately has some heft to it. Antec and Sparkle PSUs are both excellent and very popular. Also check into HEC. They make a great PSU as well.

Antec TruePower PSUs are easy to get and are among the best available.

Good luck

AznLemming

Dec 4, 2003
Hehe, actually I have an Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU. -_-
But are the voltage fluctuations something I should worry about? Enough to send the PSU back to Antec for RMA?

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Install MMB and make sure all of your readings while running an intesnive program are within 3%. If they are, then more than likely its software problem or being caused by another hardware device.

The Antec 480W is an excellent PSU btw.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
That's what they mean, yeah :) Can you list out the full specs of your entire system, including brand & model on as much stuff as possible (including the CPU heatsink/fan unit)? Also, what (if anything) is plugged into your power supply's Fan Only line?

AznLemming

Dec 4, 2003
Is that within 3% of what it SHOULD be? Or within 3% of the value which it tries to stabilize at?

AznLemming

Dec 4, 2003
OK so i tried to keep track of the voltage values while I ran Prime95 on my computer. For the 2-3 minutes or so where the program didn't come up with an error, my +5V node seemed to stay completely stable at around 4.41 V, but right after Prime 95 failed, it started going all over the place again. Please advise.

The values I got from MBM5:

------------
Vcore (1.70 V)
------------
Low: 1.71 V
High: 1.79 V
Avg: 1.75 V

------------
+3.3 V
------------
Low: 3.25 V
High: 3.36 V