Question System hanging during remote desktop on Windows 10 Pro?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
While using Remote Desktop, it'll suddenly disconnect. Upon trying to reconnect, it'll make it until the Securing Remote Connection step and get stuck there for a few minutes and time out. I also have TeamViewer installed and the computer drops from the online computers list when this happens. When I physically return to the PC, the screen is black and won't turn back on. I need to hard reset.
After rebooting, I check all the logs in event viewer and I don't see anything indicating a fault or error occurred before the crash.

I think this only happens with RDP because prior to the COVID19 lockdowns, I rarely RDP'ed in and would have an uptime for months without crashing. Now it can't last more than a couple of days.

I'm wondering if this is potentially due to a graphics issue? I'm using a 2080Ti and I'm typically doing GPU based computing with cuda and anaconda.

Edit: I disabled the H.264 GPU encoding option from the group policy editor. It seems smoother so far. Hope this fixes it.

Editx2: Crashed again :(

Last edited:

knev

Feb 2, 2012
ittechsolution.com
Before making any changes in OS or in any application. you should run the hardware diagnostics test and ensure all the hardware are fine. if you are running Dell computer, boot the computer Press F12 and choose diagnostics.
After this test, can help what steps to take to troubleshoot.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Before making any changes in OS or in any application. you should run the hardware diagnostics test and ensure all the hardware are fine. if you are running Dell computer, boot the computer Press F12 and choose diagnostics.
After this test, can help what steps to take to troubleshoot.

Where does he say he's using a Dell computer? It sounds like a custom built PC and therefore wouldn't have any built-in diagnostics.

On a side note, do you use that 2080Ti for any gaming or mostly work related stuff?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Thank you. Perhaps I can try running memtest and prime95 to be sure.
Are there any GPU torture tests as well? This just never really happened while I was in the office.

It is indeed a custom built PC. It's an office workstation but I've installed a few games on it to briefly demo the graphics.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you. Perhaps I can try running memtest and prime95 to be sure.
Are there any GPU torture tests as well? This just never really happened while I was in the office.

It is indeed a custom built PC. It's an office workstation but I've installed a few games on it to briefly demo the graphics.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/

Pretty much any of their GPU benchmarks will push the GPU (along with the CPU and PSU) pretty well. Make sure to have good airflow when running it.