System failed CPU test

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
Trying to start up my new cpu+mobo and just get the message "System failed CPU test" from the speakers.. I recieved a new bios chip today, supposedly flashed with the latest update so it should support the CPU.. The CPU is installed properly as far as I can tell. I did at one point get into the Raid controller BIOS as I mentioned and I assume that wouldnt be possible if it wasnt.

Thoughts?

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
that happened to me when i didnt plug in the 4 pin plug above the cpu socket. sometimes it just happens randomly and i turn it off and start it back up and everything is fine.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Power supply also.... What are you using ?

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
A new MIST PSU 500w.. Running 2x1gb Corsair, also new.. Removed one of them just incase however..

Should also note that I have now removed all HDs/DVDROM/Floppy, PCI cards and my AGP display adapter. Theres absolutely nothing attached now aside from the CPU with a Zalman 7000 thingy copper fan, and 1 RAM module.

JBird7986

May 17, 2005
Did you get a chance to see what the BIOS revision on the chip was? Only 1013 (the absolute latest) and up support the X2s. My guess is that it came with 1011 or 1012. I know that mine came shipped with the 1008 and my processor wasn't supported until 1009.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have never heard of MIST. And a crap 500w (if thats what it is) could well be the problem. Got an Antec 430 true poer or better to try ?

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I think your power supply is fine. I would try entering the bios and changing some voltage or memory timing settings. I can't remember how to bypass the error message, but I believe you can just hit enter and continue on with loading windows. You can also try reinstalling your cpu and heatsink. Be sure both latches are engaged before using the lock down lever.

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
I took it all apart and put it back together again so I am positive everything is connected properly. I an not able to enter the BIOS unfortunately. The monitor remains off and all the info I get is the "System failed CPU test" chanting over the speakers. I tried a different PSU and RAM as well, with no luck.

I Google'd it and just found it there is roughly 8 billion people suffering from the same issue as I am. Seems to apply to my board and another asus board as well. Doesnt seem to be an obvious solution. If anyone has any brilliant idea feel free though. If not I'll probably return it monday. :(

JBird7986

May 17, 2005
Have you tried the motherboard support CD at all? That may help you get into BIOS.

PS: There aren't 8 billion people in the world, so I doubt that that many people are experiencing issues.

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks for pointing out the 8 billion bit. ;)

And its not posting at all. Black monitor. Just the error message repeating on the speaker. So I dont see how the CD would help?

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
I had a similar problem with my A8V and Venice chip.

By trial and error, I found that if I put 1 piece of ram in the third dimm slot, then the system booted and I was able to update to the latest bios which supported the chip.

Dunno if it'd work for you and your X2, but cant' hurt to try.

imported_Starman

Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: JBird7986
The CD is supposed to have a crash-free BIOS on it...

Yes, and I explained to him how to get around this problem yesterday by using that exact BIOS :roll:

uberowo: the method I described to you yesterday in the other thread works :thumbsup:

imported_Starman

Jun 1, 2005
No, I've found Asus Probe to be very inaccurate, but that's to be expected with a software monitor. Just for kicks you could also try others like Speedfan and Everest.

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
Starman, I greatly appreciate your input, but my problem has changed. I now have a BIOS with the latest update (1013), but it doesnt even post now. I never see anything at all on the monitor, and I get a sound error that says "System failed CPU test".

uberowo

Jul 5, 2005
Yup, checked and double checked. I even removed and reapplied new thermal compound just incase.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: uberowo
Starman, I greatly appreciate your input, but my problem has changed. I now have a BIOS with the latest update (1013), but it doesnt even post now. I never see anything at all on the monitor, and I get a sound error that says "System failed CPU test".

Actually, my K8V just started doing htat recently on a system that has been rock solid for years. I had to remove the battery wait a bit, and put it back in, and finally it comes on ! I think I had to do that many times, but anyway, it fianlly worked ! Needed it bad for the recent lan party at my house. (only one person had to bring one, I have 9)

imported_Starman

Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: uberowo

I hope you're only using 1 stick of RAM and using it only in the B1 DIMM slot. If not, switch to that configuration and give it a go.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: JBird7986
Is your CPU mounted in the socket securely?

Prob maybe a pin is broke from bad install/shipping/packing or maybe the heatsink is backwards/uneven

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Have you tried powering on with the Asus CD in? It is supposed to boot from the CD before it gets to the CPU check in the post routine

MDme

Aug 27, 2004
try checking the CPU (pins could have been broken etc...) OR if you have a friend with any s939 board, try your CPU there. you need to isolate if the CPU is really the problem or if it's something else.