System errors showing in Event Viewer

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I have been examining several recently noticed system error memory dumps which reveals three system errors showing up in Windows 10 v 1607 updated, Administrative Events, under Custom Views. No BSODs or any observerable faults in operation however but my research suggests others have had the errors but no one seems to have a solution. These errors are present despite ( or because of) a recent refresh install .

The first error says:

"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1."

I have an ASUS board and tried to update the ACPI drivers in Device Manager but the response is that the disk has the latest files. I cannot ID the precise device and I cannot find the driver mentioned. There is some thought the error refers to an ASUS sensor app but that is not installed, so I am stuffed.

The second error says:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 2/2/2017 5:26:03 PM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Trooper
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

There are a few approaches to grabbing permission for the device referred in the APPID but they are complicated and my efforts have been useless. I wonder whether there is a quick and dirty approach ?

The third error says:

Log Name: Application
Source: SetupARService
Date: 2/2/2017 5:26:02 PM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Trooper
Description:
Service cannot be started. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SetupAfterRebootService.SetupARService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

I have not found much to suggest a solution to this ARService and would appreciate any assistance fixing these errors.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Shrug. It's Windows. A certain amount of those sorts of errors, are 'normal'. At least I came to that conclusion, since they are there on a fresh / clean install.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Shrug. It's Windows. A certain amount of those sorts of errors, are 'normal'. At least I came to that conclusion, since they are there on a fresh / clean install.

Thx.

I corrected the SetupARService error. The service is part of the audio (realtech) install meant to complete the application install after a reboot. I used a cmd pmt to disable the service.

The WUDFRd error seems so straight forward yet I can get nowhere in resolving it.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010

I had found that referenced web advice last night, thx, it was the "complicated" thing I mentioned, I went back today using those steps to learn to set permissions in D COM , which requires getting control thru several advanced options . Nice to know how to do that. Error now gone .

That solves two of the errors.

Do I hear anyone on number 1 ?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I had found that referenced web advice last night, thx, it was the "complicated" thing I mentioned, I went back today using those steps to learn to set permissions in D COM , which requires getting control thru several advanced options . Nice to know how to do that. Error now gone .

That solves two of the errors.

Do I hear anyone on number 1 ?

You can hear me.

By the way -- this is a marvelous coincidence. I'd made my dual-boot configuration back in October as I went forward with hardware changes and cloning. All that time, I used Win 7 mostly and only occasionally booted into 10. I cleaned up all my Event Log problems in win 7, and I was determined to give attention to the 10 OS.

So it was just last night that I finally got rid of my own distributed COM 10016 errors. And I -- and a pile of screaming Win 10 users over the past couple years on other forums -- complained about WudfRd Event 219 Kernel-PnP errors, which occur at boot-time. At least they're only "yellow-bang" warnings. I always get two of them.

Here's one suggestion that was on a Windows 10 or similar forum. Before you go forward with it, please note that I haven't yet done so -- when it comes to stray recommendations involving Regedit, I tend to contemplate and think carefully before I sit down and do it. I have no guarantee as to how reliable it is. My comment continues briefly after:

=========== begin alt-forum post =============
My problem with " The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load"

failure PC, jamming PC...

finaly stopped when i stopped OneDrive in register.

First right-click the OneDrive icon in your notification area — it looks like a little white cloud — and select Settings. You might have to click the up arrow button to view all the system tray icons before you see the OneDrive icon.

Uncheck the “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” option and save your settings. OneDrive won’t load at startup anymore.

Also to click or tap the “Unlink OneDrive” button here. This will stop OneDrive from syncing .

1. Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.

2. Type RegEdit.exe and hit Enter or OK to open Registry Editor.

3. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

4. Right click on Windows and select New -> Key. Name the new key as OneDrive.

Note: If OneDrive key already exists, skip this step.

5. Right click on OneDrive registry key, and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name the new value name as DisableFileSyncNGSC

6. Set the data for DisableFileSyncNGSC registry value as 1.

Close Registry Editor.

7. Sign out and sign in again, or restart the computer.

=========== end alt-forum post =============

Now -- one more point from the DuckMeister. It may be I found this on a TechNet or MSDN forum -- I can't remember, and I'm sorry if I can't. But there were other posts from some forum veterans or in-the-know techs who observe that this is a benign warning, and nothing to worry about.

Personally, I'm paying attention to behavior of my VSS volume-shadow-copy service for checkpoint/restore-point creation. It SEEMs to be behaving properly now. It throws no errors when I download and install Windows updates.

I can comment more on fanning out through additional Event-Log indicators, as you might incline. I often amaze myself with all the sweat and trouble to finally clean up the problems on all my systems. And I'm amazed because the more I learn -- the less I know.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
You can hear me.

By the way -- this is a marvelous coincidence. I'd made my dual-boot configuration back in October as I went forward with hardware changes and cloning. All that time, I used Win 7 mostly and only occasionally booted into 10. I cleaned up all my Event Log problems in win 7, and I was determined to give attention to the 10 OS.

So it was just last night that I finally got rid of my own distributed COM 10016 errors. And I -- and a pile of screaming Win 10 users over the past couple years on other forums -- complained about WudfRd Event 219 Kernel-PnP errors, which occur at boot-time. At least they're only "yellow-bang" warnings. I always get two of them.

Here's one suggestion that was on a Windows 10 or similar forum. Before you go forward with it, please note that I haven't yet done so -- when it comes to stray recommendations involving Regedit, I tend to contemplate and think carefully before I sit down and do it. I have no guarantee as to how reliable it is. My comment continues briefly after:
there were other posts from some forum veterans or in-the-know techs who observe that this is a benign warning, and nothing to worry about.

These errors are related to failures to load the same driver but for different devices. The error I have is this:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

It is similar to the error dealt with in the above referenced forum in that the driver is the Windows Driver Foundation file, but the device is different. The Forum advice you quote is an attempt to solve this error:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

This error apparently arises from an ad-on card reader and the USB ports where the ONE DRIVE registry item may have been involved. But that is not the device for which WUDFRd fails to load here. You can see that the device is tagged as ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

Now a lot of searching tells me that this device is the ASUS system component ( called an interface) AMAD00 which apparently is a Sensor facility meant to hook up to the ASUS AI Suite and their ASUS Probe II Sense Driver, neither installed here. Fine, I deleted the AMAD00 device, but it comes back !

Next I looked at the Event Viewer in detail. The dates of the fail began when I reinstalled ver 1607 a couple of weeks ago.The original install shows in the Device Manager section that the driver did load for the device but a few minutes later, the Administrative section shows the error arose. So it loaded, then unloaded, and has failed to load on every subsequent boot .

While I appreciate that it is a warning and not an error, and benign I suppose in the greater scope of things, yet it remains a nuisance because it causes 16MB of System Error Memory dump, like a speeding ticket, for each "infraction". Check your Disk Cleanup app for the bad news. All I can surmise is that the error here is an ASUS issue . (What I have not done is load those ASUS apps. Please NO! but I have no other ideas.)

Have you been able to ID the failed devices your system has ? Any success dealing with them ?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
These errors are related to failures to load the same driver but for different devices. The error I have is this:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

It is similar to the error dealt with in the above referenced forum in that the driver is the Windows Driver Foundation file, but the device is different. The Forum advice you quote is an attempt to solve this error:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

This error apparently arises from an ad-on card reader and the USB ports where the ONE DRIVE registry item may have been involved. But that is not the device for which WUDFRd fails to load here. You can see that the device is tagged as ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.

Now a lot of searching tells me that this device is the ASUS system component ( called an interface) AMAD00 which apparently is a Sensor facility meant to hook up to the ASUS AI Suite and their ASUS Probe II Sense Driver, neither installed here. Fine, I deleted the AMAD00 device, but it comes back !

Next I looked at the Event Viewer in detail. The dates of the fail began when I reinstalled ver 1607 a couple of weeks ago.The original install shows in the Device Manager section that the driver did load for the device but a few minutes later, the Administrative section shows the error arose. So it loaded, then unloaded, and has failed to load on every subsequent boot .

While I appreciate that it is a warning and not an error, and benign I suppose in the greater scope of things, yet it remains a nuisance because it causes 16MB of System Error Memory dump, like a speeding ticket, for each "infraction". Check your Disk Cleanup app for the bad news. All I can surmise is that the error here is an ASUS issue . (What I have not done is load those ASUS apps. Please NO! but I have no other ideas.)

Have you been able to ID the failed devices your system has ? Any success dealing with them ?

Well, it is a good thing that we may have isolated the issue to ASUS boards, although I can't be sure which board VirtualLarry and Ketchup refer to -- Larry has a lot of systems including a Z170 chipset. Both Larry and Ketchup are old hands here at the forums, and Larry apparently earns his bread building and repairing systems.

Which board are you using? My issues are with my Sabertooth Z170 S, and I suspect many models of ASUS boards with that chipset are very similar.

I had initially focused my attention on USB issues, parallel to some of the web-forum posts turned up in our collective research.

In my case -- and I can't be sure whether it really dovetails with our mutual 219 problem -- I actually had a problem with USB at boot-time. That is -- my USB keyboard (through KVM) would not be functional at the time the introductory screen appears in Win 10 after system post. The keyboard would be working at the Windows dual-boot selection menu, and then be unresponsive at that initial screen prior to entering the account/password screen.

But a PS/2 keyboard connected through a USB adapter would allow me to restart again and regain the control from my KVM-connected keyboard and mouse.

Since this problem turned up advice (which you also would've seen) to disconnect USB devices as practicality would dictate and reinstall all USB drivers, I got through about 75% of the latter procedure. There is an Asmedia USB driver ASUS had added to their list of Win 10 USB drivers related to my board. Once I had installed that driver, the problem seemed to disappear -- almost.

Also, my scanner is connected to the system through the KVM USB3 passthrough to a USB3 I/O-plate port. I'm going to retest that, but as I recall from day before yesterday, leaving the scanner turned off or unplugged (either way) didn't seem to resolve it. I could look again at the Z170 BIOS and see if there is anything more I can turn off.

If it is a matter of sensors and fans, those can be disabled within BIOS and I may go back into BIOS to see if there are any unused (including thermal sensors) which I hadn't turned off. As for the "75%" status, there is one final Asmedia USB3/3.1 update I'd yet to reinstall.

This Event ID 219 issue doesn't just go back to Windows 10 release, though: it was evident on alt-forum threads that people began to see it with Windows 8/8.1.

My main concern over the last week was whether the system would return from sleep or hibernate properly, but all of those issues have been fixed in both my Win 7 and Win 10 installs on this Z170. The system is functioning without problem now for either OS, other than these initial boot-time warning- bangs that occur at boot-time.

Since we're talking about the same motherboard make -- if not the same model and chipset -- I'm inclined to continue watching this thread and hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Of course, Larry and Ketchup voiced the same thing I saw elsewhere: "It's just . . . Windows! . . . " But we should continue to troubleshoot.

I should also mention that my Canon 8800F flatbed scanner throws a couple errors related to WIA and a driver-component that shows as svchost.exe_stisvc, with forum posts pointing to Canon scanners. Canon says they hadn't updated the older scanner software and drivers, but insists that it should still work with Windows 10. And of course, the WIA and stisvc bangs disappear with the scanner turned off, otherwise appearing exactly once each and at the same time. But the Event ID 219's continue as a pair at boot-time.

Also, I still have a complication to resolve, in that I had installed the Sabertooth's ASUS AI Suite 3 to help me configure and overclock the board. I'd have to think back and collect my old-person thoughts, but it was interfering with things -- possibly causing my wake-up problem, and I uninstalled it. And as many will agree, it leaves "body-parts" behind in the form of the fan-control service and the "atkex . . . com" service. ASUS created a cleaner program to deal with it, which I've yet to run: those services don't grab any clock cycles and appear to be benign -- for the moment. I need to reassure myself that the cleaner program was applicable to both Win 10 and Win 7 as well -- having run it on the latter OS install.

I may start again today by inspecting my BIOS, and as I said -- I'll keep you "posted." I'm sure you will do the same.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Well, it is a good thing that we may have isolated the issue to ASUS boards, But the Event ID 219's continue as a pair at boot-time.

What two errors does your system log ?

I have bad feelings about this now.

"Wudfrd.sys failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1"
means the windows system file failed to load the ASUS interface called AMADA00.

Since Wudfrd is a windows issue, not from the mainboard itself, the solution may only be the ultimate inconvenience-a reinstall.

Is it worth it ?
No.But

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
What two errors does your system log ?

I have bad feelings about this now.

"Wudfrd.sys failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1"
means the windows system file failed to load the ASUS interface called AMADA00.

Since Wudfrd is a windows issue, not from the mainboard itself, the solution may only be the ultimate inconvenience-a reinstall.

Is it worth it ?
No.But

Just a minute and I'll hunt down the details of my two Ev ID 219 errors . . . While I do that, I'll give you my most recent "action" log.

I went into BIOS and checked everything: PCH Storage, USB, every single menu under "advanced" that was separate from "tweaker." I check the monitor screen, with the Q_FAN settings. All my unused fan sensors are disabled. In Q_FAN, there was an Assistant_Fan2 which had been enabled to "DC mode" and I disabled that. There was nothing more I could honestly do, but I may go back . . . and check it again.

Rebooted. Without checking event logs, I now installed the latest Asmedia USB3.0/3.1 driver. The previous I'd installed and mentioned in a confusion of calling it some "extra" ASMedia driver was the beta version of the new and later revision.

Rebooted into W10. Opened event logs. 219 errors still logging -- two and only two at boot-time. In fact, I think the time stamp was so close to the initial series of 3 "Event Log" items reporting the processor and boot, that you could say the definitely occur right at boot-time.

Comes back and shows my Skype driver/program failed to load. I'm heartbroken. That's peripheral, although it might be tied to this -- I'll find out. Again -- jus'a'minute . . .

Here's the second or last to appear:

- System
-
Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
[ Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}
EventID 219
Version 0
Level 3
Task 212
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-02-06T21:16:48.002044600Z
EventRecordID 9658
Correlation
-
Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 32
Channel System
Computer SKY_KING
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
DriverNameLength
DriverName SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{2729846a-ebb2-11e6-bd56-806e6f6e6963}#0000000008100000
Status 3221226341
FailureNameLength 14
FailureName \Driver\WudfRd
Version 0

Here's the earlier one if assume Ev log is sorted by latest date and time:

- System
-
Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
[ Guid] {9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}
EventID 219
Version 0
Level 3
Task 212
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-02-06T21:16:48.000797800Z
EventRecordID 9656
Correlation
-
Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 32
Channel System
Computer SKY_KING
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
DriverNameLength
DriverName SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{18056d69-e70d-11e6-bd35-708bcd553aa0}#0000000008100000
Status 3221226341
FailureNameLength 14
FailureName \Driver\WudfRd
Version 0

I think I'll order the Windows 10 Resource Kit or download if they have it published. I feel totally out of my element with the registry, and the origins of registry structure goes way back in Windows probably to '95. But I think I may do a search in Regedit for the {} bracketed sequence under driver-name. Also, if GUID can be found there. Ah! The GUID identifier is common to both errors.

I don't believe reinstallation of Windows is warranted with this. It seems this is common among a lot of Event-Log-OCD-techs/enthusiasts or just serious people. I do want to clear it up, though. And as I said, it goes back to Windows 8.1, where it also appears.

On the reinstallation thing. I wouldn't do it unless I had bad results for an SFC /SCANNOW and the file it creates. There is another scan of drive partitions through CMD I did -- I'm having trouble recalling the particulars, but it too was a perfect result. I've run CHKDSK on all of it. There is no reason to reinstall.

This can be repaired, either through the registry, some BIOS tweak, or driver update. If it cannot so be repaired, it is a Windows flaw for which Microsoft might earlier have issued a FixIt button or tool -- and didn't. And I suppose I should give the MSDN, TechNet and Knowledge base another look, but I scanned through the material on this particular item, or so I thought. Maybe I only saw it in MSDN, TechNet or 10 Forum.

Whatever it is, it is not causing one iota or inkling of trouble with my system. But -- sure -- I'd like to make it go away as opposed to just hiding it. As I recall, this has to do with a library called Windows Uniform Driver Foundation?

Also remember this hardware we've bought is closer to the cutting edge. The Samsung 960 Pro drives were only released in late fall. That may not be pertinent to anything, until we find out which drivers and devices -- yours and mine -- and why. And as to that, now that I think of it, these errors may go back to the time I built the system and first installed Windows 10. Again - jus'a minute . . Uh-huh -- October 11, 2016.

If there were corruption in Windows, it would've been indicated by now. Everything on that installation is pristine.

I'll come back tomorrow and make a point of poking around Regedit to get a better clue about this.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Plot thickens.

The {} keys for both of the warnings refer to HDDs in my system.

Both drives are in an ICYDOCK single-5.25"drive-bay combo thin-laptop ODD + 2x 2.5" hot-swap bays. One drive is connected to port 4 on the motherboard SATA; the other is connected to a $30 PCIE x1 SATA 4-port Marvell 92xx controller configured properly as AHCI. Both drives are understandably configured as "Hot-Plug-Enabled" in BIOS. Both drives are . . . mmm . . HGST HTS 721010A9E630 1TB 2.5" drives. But Device Manager reports both drives working properly: one of them as a SCSI disk device which would be the Marvell controller as it appears under Storage Controllers; the other one to the Intel 100Series/C230 . . . Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller -- probably same as yours, deustroop.

Those controllers and all other drives are properly configured error-free in Device Manager. I think the next step -- for me -- is to track this down at HGST. Maybe there's a firmware or driver update. Usually, the actual driver for a particular drive-model installs at hot-swap, and it usually is a native MS driver.

[LATER] Forgot to give my pronouncement about this. One of those drives is a Macrium image backup disk; the other is a Media drive with shared OS access. Those drives are Travelstar laptop 7K1000 units a friend recommended as on sale, so I picked up two, and they wound up inside my Skylake. I'll have to poke around and see how they're configured for sleep or other aspects.

All I can say is the search through HK_Root_Classes or HK_Local_Machine links the problem key codes to the drive labels of those two disks. And for now, I suspect if I removed the disks, the warnings would cease. But neither of those drives contributes in any way to the daily function of the OS and another drive, which are not hot-plug enabled. They're either media storage or backup. The backup doesn't even need to be mounted and powered up.

Now the other thing I can do is replace one of the HGST's with a Seagate MT9 2TB and see if the same error is thrown.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Plot thickens.

The {} keys for both of the warnings refer to HDDs in my system.

I think the next step -- for me -- is to track this down at HGST. Maybe there's a firmware or driver update. Usually, the actual driver for a particular drive-model installs at hot-swap, and it usually is a native MS driver.

Now the other thing I can do is replace one of the HGST's with a Seagate MT9 2TB and see if the same error is thrown.

I've looked into the MS end of the problem as well, the WUDFRd driver. It comes up under HKLM/System/Services/WUDFRd. There is a sub called ENUM and in the adjacent field inter alia are the items Initstartfailed and Nextinstance both with a value of 1.

What if I delete Initstartfailed ? It will likely just come back.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've looked into the MS end of the problem as well, the WUDFRd driver. It comes up under HKLM/System/Services/WUDFRd. There is a sub called ENUM and in the adjacent field inter alia are the items Initstartfailed and Nextinstance both with a value of 1.

What if I delete Initstartfailed ? It will likely just come back.
I wouldn't know. I am thinking this might be some sort of timing problem that just resolves itself. I've tested both those drives with the HGST diagnostic utility, with CHKDSK. They're fine -- just tip-top. But that's my situation, and yours may refer to different hardware -- I think you already have that figured out too.

There is a disk enumeration process that occurs at boot time. It may be that the drives respond too slowly to it. But it is clear to me that in my own case, this is some minor glitch likely without any importance to system operation or the life and health of the disks.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I might investigate the delay-setting on post and hard-disk spinup. I think the BIOS's I'd worked with in the past always had that setting. Also, the sleep settings for the drive.

In my case, the drives are usually intended for laptops, and therefore would work well for sleep and hibernate. I really think this is a timing problem with the motherboard and drive spin-up at post time.

That's just what I think. I might have studied for the MS-whatcha-ma-callit exam in the 90s. But here, I'm making intuitive guesses and conclusions. Like an amateur mechanic confused over the torque-wrench settings between newton-meters and lb-feet. But like I said -- for these drives -- nothing to be resolved in a hurry. It may have to do with the hot-swap configuration, I don't know. Probably -- will find out.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Intel mobo controller: Port 0 is a 2.5" Seagate Barracuda. Port 1 previously configured for system boot SSD, is vacant. Port 3 is the ODD, and port 4 is one of the two hotswap bays. On the Marvel controller, I think I was focused on connecting to Port 0 with the second host-swap bay.

The dual-boot system disk is a Sammy 960 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2 on the KryoM.2 expansion card in the bottom PCIE-"16" x4 slot of the motherboard. Everything is configured properly. Ports 4 and 5 (or as referred in the mobo manual as 5 and 6) are disabled to get the x4 function of that PCIE slot. The NVMe PCIE lanes go through the chipset, just as do the SATA connections from the motherboard. SO - for that -- I only get 4 of six SATA ports functional, and so the PCIE x1 Marvell controller was deemed useful for hot-plug devices. It only has one drive connected, and the mobo controller has only three drives connected.

I DO remember that I connected one or both of these drives before changing to hot-plug enabled on those ports -- the HGST drives, that is. But I don't see any residual information persistent for that condition. It only meant that I had to reboot the system to get those drives recognized the first time, and enter BIOS to set them for hotplug enable.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
This isn't exactly "off-topic," and it would be good to develop a database or log of common Event Log error and warning fixes.

This one had been of recent concern, and it's fairly common. I've cleaned it up before on other systems here, but it's been a while and I didn't have handy the previous web-research notes I'd made. My comments continue after the Event Log entry summary:
==============
System
-
Provider
[ Name] System Restore
- EventID 8193
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 0
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-02-07T05:05:22.118622500Z
EventRecordID 9326
Channel Application
Computer SKY_KING
Security
-
EventData
C:\Windows\system32\srtasks.exe ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation
Scheduled Checkpoint
0x80070422
==============

I suspect that this problem can be caused after cloning a disk. Somehow, for instance, the System Protection entry for RestorePoints or Checkpoints will show a missing entry for your C: (or other) disk drive, along with a current entry. Whether or not the current entry is on (and I'm sure you'd find it "Off"), the "missing drive" shows system protection or restore/checkpoint as "On."

Here's the summary I found today at a site named "MyEventLog", since my memory is totally decrepit and I didn't even have my old notes handy -- something I can fix very soon.
===========
Event ID: 8193
Source: System Restore
Message: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation; Description = Scheduled Checkpoint; Error = 0x80070422).

----------------
Solution by Anonymous
2009-09-02 18:11:14 UTC
It turned out there was a bad entry in the system protection settings for my Windows 7 workstation. To fix this I went to System settings and clicked the "System protection" options. In the "Protection Settings" box, it showed protection off on "Local Disk (C:) (System)" and a bad old entry of just "C:" had it on. I turned the bad entry to off and it went away. I then turned the valid entry to On.

============

It seems I've done all this before; vaguely remembered what was involved; didn't connect it with the ID 8193 I found here in Win 10. But it's an easy fix.

Always use the Volume Shadow Copy and System Protection features if you ever want to roll back installations and updates to the OS to some prior date and time. A good computer system with Windows needs to have this configured properly.