SYRIA --> opens border so all muslimradicalwhackos can go FIGHT THE GREAT SATAN

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

It is sad, but the possibility of other countries could be pull into war was a consideration prior to the campaign. This war is politically detrimental to the US administration for years to come.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
This is not a suprise. At least it shouldn't be. If the war planners didn't anticipate every single whacko from the middle east heading to Iraq for a chance to kill some Americans, they haven't learned any lessons in Vietnam or the Russian involvement in Afganistan and Chechnya.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool
This is not a suprise. At least it shouldn't be. If the war planners didn't anticipate every single whacko from the middle east heading to Iraq for a chance to kill some Americans, they haven't learned any lessons in Vietnam or the Russian involvement in Afganistan and Chechnya.

Every single whacko huh? It has been a few dozen.....

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Why would they all go in at once? It's not the guerilla/terrorist style. They are going to wait for the situation to simmer down a little bit, wait for the troops to settle into a routine, let their guards down a little. Maybe even wait for us to remove Saddam and the fighting to end. These people are not there to fight for Saddam, they are there to kill Americans.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: fluxquantum
Originally posted by: tec699
Originally posted by: OFFascist
IMO this is a good thing.

We wouldnt be able to go into Syria or whever and kill these people legally, yet.

However now once they become combatents against our forces we will now have the legal right to kill them.

Perhaps Syria is just trying to get rid of a few fundamentalist undesirables by encouraging them to go get killed in Iraq.

Sure we might loose more people because of this, but its better that we kill these fundamentalists over there than having them come to our shores and kill our civillians here.

Typical Monday morning quaterback...

Hey man, get off the computer and go join the damn war if you want to talk nonsense. It's easy to say lets kill them all. Heh.. especially since your sitting on your comfy chair staring at your computer screen.

My dad fought in the Korean war. He's seen his buddies die right in front of him. And you can sit here and say... oh lets kill them all. Then you say it's ok if we loose some of our guys as long as we can take most of their men out. Well all I have to say is... What the hell! Also.. I guess it's ok if we loose some of our men, since hey... it's not me.

How dare you? It's pathetic that you can talk about war like it's a frekin game. What's wrong with you? As I stated earlier, my father served and fought in the Korean war. He's told me some true horror stories. He killed plenty of North Korean's in his life time, and it still haunts him. War is fu*kin hell.

But I guess it's easy to joke about war, since the closest that you will ever see combat is when you fire up a game of bf1942.

:|

well said. my grandfather served during ww2. the horrors he witnessed were terrible. he suffered from PTWS (post-traumatic war syndrome). he has passed away but he has told me many stories from his war experience. after serving he did not wish war upon anyone whether they be friend or foe. it's easy to talk about killing people when you have no combat experience. that's why i enjoy talking with vets. they know what war is about. they tend to be more humble and cautious when the topic of warfare comes up. we may win eventually but it will be at a cost - human lives. sure we will not lose as much as the enemy but every life is worth more than you can imagine.

My dad was a submariner during WW2 and talked alot about it... He was very proud of his six years in the Navy. I grew up in NYC and was scared to death to walk from my flat to the academy where I went to school... then Viet Nam and my six years.. I was scared to death each moment I was there... I heard the screams of buddies near getting hit or the thud of a round impacting flesh and no scream just death... I don't know how the guys do it today... they go to war with an attitude that I am unfamiliar with perhaps it is what is needed to survive. My kids and grandkids only know of my horror regarding war and how I think every leader ought to spend time in war, if possible, in order to know what they send fellow citizens into, all be it well trained.
"Kill em all" is sick.... I'm not a brave person... maybe those who have those feelings can speak to the issue because they are... I don't know.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Why would they all go in at once? It's not the guerilla/terrorist style. They are going to wait for the situation to simmer down a little bit, wait for the troops to settle into a routine, let their guards down a little. Maybe even wait for us to remove Saddam and the fighting to end. These people are not there to fight for Saddam, they are there to kill Americans.
And they would be doing that regardless of if we are at war with Iraq or not. I would much rather face them in a military sense than wait around for a typical terrorist style of attack to take place. Do you really think that in the end these "irregulars" will make much of a difference? They will not. The only reason they have been causing us bits of trouble now is because we chose to bypass their strongholds in our maneuver to get further North. This isn't anything new, it's call maneuver warfare. We did the same thing in Europe during WWII. You roll past these pockets to your main goal, then you allow the follow on troops to deal with the areas of resistance. So a few dozen or hundred extra people join in the battle. In the end all it does is causes us to use more ordinance. It will not change the outcome of the war.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
Hey man, get off the computer and go join the damn war if you want to talk nonsense.

I'm not talking nonsense, and as for me joining this war, it is likely that it would be over before I even got there.
If my country was in some desperate need for people I would sign up in an instant, however we are not, as such I will follow though my plan of finishing college and going through ROTC. I'm sure I'll be ready by the time we get around to dealing with North Korea, or helping to purge Columbia of leftist rebels.

My dad fought in the Korean war.

My grandfather fought in Korea too.

And you can sit here and say... oh lets kill them all.

Yes I can.

Then you say it's ok if we loose some of our guys as long as we can take most of their men out. Well all I have to say is... What the hell! Also.. I guess it's ok if we loose some of our men, since hey... it's not me.

Well let me give you a clue since you seem to be acting ignorant at the moment.

The people who signed up for military service are there to fight all our enemies, both foreign and domestic. In the course of thier service they are given orders and missions to accomplish. Incase you didnt know one of the most important missions our forces currently have is the war against terror.

The more terrorists that we can kill the better, however it is a sad fact that we will loose people. I'm certain that the vast majority of those who signed up would much rather be fighting and killing those terrorists out there in the field of battle, even if it means risking thier own lives, rather than having said terrorists on the loose in the world where they could kill American civillians.

It's pathetic that you can talk about war like it's a frekin game.

War is a game, the biggest game of them all, the game of life and the stakes are high, which is why we should play to win.

What's wrong with you?

There is nothing wrong with me other than the fact that I can see past the cold hard reality of the world and see what needs to be done.

Better that our forces fight and kill these fundamentalists out there in Iraq, than to have those same fundamentalists in circulation posing a threat to our nation.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

And they would be doing that regardless of if we are at war with Iraq or not. I would much rather face them in a military sense than wait around for a typical terrorist style of attack to take place. Do you really think that in the end these "irregulars" will make much of a difference? They will not. The only reason they have been causing us bits of trouble now is because we chose to bypass their strongholds in our maneuver to get further North. This isn't anything new, it's call maneuver warfare. We did the same thing in Europe during WWII. You roll past these pockets to your main goal, then you allow the follow on troops to deal with the areas of resistance. So a few dozen or hundred extra people join in the battle. In the end all it does is causes us to use more ordinance. It will not change the outcome of the war.

It will not change the outcome of removing Saddam eventually. Al Qaeda doesn't care much about Saddam. But if we stick around as an occupying force, they will be able to make a lot of trouble. We will be like Israelis in Palestine there.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Hey man, get off the computer and go join the damn war if you want to talk nonsense.

I'm not talking nonsense, and as for me joining this war, it is likely that it would be over before I even got there.
If my country was in some desperate need for people I would sign up in an instant, however we are not, as such I will follow though my plan of finishing college and going through ROTC. I'm sure I'll be ready by the time we get around to dealing with North Korea, or helping to purge Columbia of leftist rebels.

My dad fought in the Korean war.

My grandfather fought in Korea too.

And you can sit here and say... oh lets kill them all.

Yes I can.

Then you say it's ok if we loose some of our guys as long as we can take most of their men out. Well all I have to say is... What the hell! Also.. I guess it's ok if we loose some of our men, since hey... it's not me.

Well let me give you a clue since you seem to be acting ignorant at the moment.

The people who signed up for military service are there to fight all our enemies, both foreign and domestic. In the course of thier service they are given orders and missions to accomplish. Incase you didnt know one of the most important missions our forces currently have is the war against terror.

The more terrorists that we can kill the better, however it is a sad fact that we will loose people. I'm certain that the vast majority of those who signed up would much rather be fighting and killing those terrorists out there in the field of battle, even if it means risking thier own lives, rather than having said terrorists on the loose in the world where they could kill American civillians.

It's pathetic that you can talk about war like it's a frekin game.

War is a game, the biggest game of them all, the game of life and the stakes are high, which is why we should play to win.

What's wrong with you?

There is nothing wrong with me other than the fact that I can see past the cold hard reality of the world and see what needs to be done.

Better that our forces fight and kill these fundamentalists out there in Iraq, than to have those same fundamentalists in circulation posing a threat to our nation.

We each keep our own counsel and this is good. We each see the light of reality and this is good. We each strive to reach a point of equalibium with our thoughts and the world about us and this is good too. However, the light is sometimes hindered from reaching us by the density of the fog under which we labor and this is unfortunate. Our counsel is unknowingly subjected to the slant of the plank we strive to equalibriate and this too is unfortunate... What we have then is what we believe is reality and it is... But, each has a differn't reality and this is good. What is better is when our reality is reaffirmed by others. We are right to question our reality if only we see it...

LP29

Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
The POINT is - this IS bad news and a horrible development for the coalition.

More "wackos" with guns that will certainly kill some of our troops. :(

And if Syria decides to "get involved" . . .

wow, you call muslim fighters "wackos". you are really not a racist :frown: it that the kind of people there in the US?

fyi: i am not a muslim nor am i an american! and I don't know why people like wars because I have been in one personnally. It's really horrible and terrifying. you say the war is justified. NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED! KILLING INOCENT PEOPLE CAN"T BE JUSTIFIED! how will you feel if you were the one being bomb?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: LP29

wow, you call muslim fighters "wackos". you are really not a racist :frown: it that the kind of people there in the US?

fyi: i am not a muslim nor am i an american! and I don't know why people like wars because I have been in one personnally. It's really horrible and terrifying. you say the war is justified. NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED! KILLING INOCENT PEOPLE CAN"T BE JUSTIFIED! how will you feel if you were the one being bomb?

In defense of the author's use of the term "wackos" I submit that it refers to the apparent mental defect of one performing unusual acts. In this case the term muslim should or could be replaced by the term enemy since not all Iraqians are the enemy or even muslim.
And we are not at war with Iraq... so I'm told... just some Iraqians who are wacko.
If no war can be justified then killing anyone cannot be justified if done under the cloak of war... But, what about defending oneself or retaliation for acts committed or to enforce the peace and future of the world?

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
wow, you call muslim fighters "wackos".
I would classify islamic fundamentalists who are willing to suicide themselves just to kill Americans as wackos.

I don't know why people like wars
People dont like wars, but they are sometimes necessary, and despite the claims of some people, violence does solve some problems.

NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED!
I disagree.

KILLING INOCENT PEOPLE CAN"T BE JUSTIFIED!
I disagree again. Murdering innocents can never be justified, however killing them can be.

how will you feel if you were the one being bomb?

It would suck if myself, my friends, and my family were the targets. Our whole country realizes this. This is the reason we do what we do. Better them than us.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

I call Islamofacists who view EVERYTHING through the DISTORTED view of religion-USA is Great Satan-911 was good for America-Allah helped the planes destroy the infidels -- BLAH BLAH <<<---- Those are WHACKOS .........................AND they are most likely the ones running across the border to protect the most evil dictator the Middle East has ever seen ...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: HJD1

In defense of the author's use of the term "wackos" I submit that it refers to the apparent mental defect of one performing unusual acts. In this case the term muslim should or could be replaced by the term enemy since not all Iraqians are the enemy or even muslim.
And we are not at war with Iraq... so I'm told... just some Iraqians who are wacko.
If no war can be justified then killing anyone cannot be justified if done under the cloak of war... But, what about defending oneself or retaliation for acts committed or to enforce the peace and future of the world?
Not MY use of the term "wacko" - I am QUOTING the toipc's title (which I notice many of you missed):<< SYRIA --> opens border so all muslimradicalwhackos can go FIGHT THE GREAT SATAN>>

:p

Read the damn context.
rolleye.gif

LP29

Nov 30, 2001
I would classify islamic fundamentalists who are willing to suicide themselves just to kill Americans as wackos.

People dont like wars, but they are sometimes necessary, and despite the claims of some people, violence does solve some problems.

NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED!
I disagree.

I disagree again. Murdering innocents can never be justified, however killing them can be.

It would suck if myself, my friends, and my family were the targets. Our whole country realizes this. This is the reason we do what we do. Better them than us.

how the f..k can killing innocent civilians be justified? what would you say to a child who has lost his mother in an unjustified war. "child, you mother died for the good of humanity. and because it's better you mother to be killed than mine".
I don't believe in death penalty and abortion. but some countries approve of it. eg. US. the US say Saddam killed many innocent lives. which is really true. but the US also kills innocent lives of unborn babies thru abortion. it's really ironic isn't it.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002

Who says that were going to war with North Korea? I seriously that we are, but... it sounds like youe engaging in typical warmongering >> "purge Columbia from leftist rebels, dealing with North Korea" Why don't you just say >> lets kill everyone that doesn't live by American standards. C'mon that's what you really want to say, isn't it?

And anyway.. With regards to North Korea, if we can expect cooperation from China then we will be sadly mistaken. And don't be suprised that if we do attack North Korea, they will get support from China as well. North Korea is a whole nother animal. We don't need to go to North Korea, especially since the 2 super powers Russia and China are so close to that country. Let them deal with NK.

tec699

Banned
Dec 19, 2002

NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED!
I disagree.

how the f..k can killing innocent civilians be justified? what would you say to a child who has lost his mother in an unjustified war. "child, you mother died for the good of humanity. and because it's better you mother to be killed than mine".
I don't believe in death penalty and abortion. but some countries approve of it. eg. US. the US say Saddam killed many innocent lives. which is really true. but the US also kills innocent lives of unborn babies thru abortion. it's really ironic isn't it.

Yea I agree.. Here we have our President that has killed people thru the death penalty. And I bet a good portion were innocent. Texas has put to death more people when Bush was governor then any other state. And he claims to be a Christain! Ha! He's not a Christain and if their is a God President Bush will surely go to Hell!

:)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

NO WAR CAN BE JUSTIFIED!
I disagree.

Yea I agree.. Here we have our President that has killed people thru the death penalty. And I bet a good portion were innocent. Texas has put to death more people when Bush was governor then any other state. And he claims to be a Christain! Ha! He's not a Christain and if their is a God President Bush will surely go to Hell!

:)
Ummmm....hmmm....
rolleye.gif

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Why are they "muslimradicalwhackos"?

In the context offered by the author it seems that the people he refers to display, at least on first blush, an ideosyncratic behaviour presumably the result of some undiagnosed psychological defect possibly brought on by acute radicalism inherent to the region and culture. If the same folks lived in Rome, Italy and acted in a similar fashion... I presume he would have used the term "catholic..."
I think it is not a culture thing... I remember "charlie" acted much the same in the days of "radicalcharliewackos" Or the folks who chained themselves to freight trains... or felled trees afloat on the snake river.

LP29

Nov 30, 2001
Ummmm....hmmm....
rolleye.gif

While I doubt if there are many innocent in the death sentence, I still don't think its morally right to kill anyone. God created us so he is the only ONE who can take lives.

How about the innocent unborn babies? They are still killed in the US. :(

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HJD1
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
Why are they "muslimradicalwhackos"?

In the context offered by the author it seems that the people he refers to display, at least on first blush, an ideosyncratic behaviour presumably the result of some undiagnosed psychological defect possibly brought on by acute radicalism inherent to the region and culture. If the same folks lived in Rome, Italy and acted in a similar fashion... I presume he would have used the term "catholic..."
I think it is not a culture thing... I remember "charlie" acted much the same in the days of "radicalcharliewackos" Or the folks who chained themselves to freight trains... or felled trees afloat on the snake river.

How many Italian sucide bombers have you heard of in the last ten years?

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
how the f..k can killing innocent civilians be justified?
In self defense. If someone is holding someone hostage as a shield and they have a gun and I have a gun and they shoot at me. I would be justified in returning fire, even if the hostage was killed in the exchange.

Similar logic applies to civillians killed as colateral damage.

what would you say to a child who has lost his mother in an unjustified war.

I would tell them that thier mother was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The same would apply whether it was a just or unjust war (this is a just war) btw, since its better to not be around where the bombs are coming down regardless of the morality of the conflict.

I don't believe in death penalty and abortion.

I believe in the death penalty, and while I think abortion is wasteful (in terms of money, time, and pain compared to using other birth control methods) and wrong, I am pro-choice mostly because I dont care enough about the issue to fight for its removal.

US. the US say Saddam killed many innocent lives. which is really true. but the US also kills innocent lives of unborn babies thru abortion. it's really ironic isn't it.

Whats ironic about it?

We arent at war with Iraq because Saddam kills his own population, we are at war with them because they broke the ceasefire. The Fact that those murdered Iraqis will have some sort of justice when we are done with Saddam is just a bonus.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
Here we have our President that has killed people thru the death penalty. And I bet a good portion were innocent.

if their is a God President Bush will surely go to Hell!

Why would he go to hell?

Killing != a sin
Murder = a sin

Death Penalty != Murder
Death Penalty = Killing

Murder = unlawful killing
Death Penalty = lawful killing

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by: tec699 Who says that were going to war with North Korea? I seriously that we are, but...
A few people, but obviously no one in the administration has said anything officially about it, but I can see the writting on the wall.

Hell I was pretty shocked at how this war with Iraq too so many people by surprise, I saw this coming since 2000 when I voted for Bush.

Why don't you just say lets kill everyone that doesn't live by American standards. C'mon that's what you really want to say, isn't it?
Not at all. I dont want to kill everyone that doesnt live by American standards.

Infact I would like it if there were a larger disparity between our standards and the standards that other nations live by.
If these other nations didnt pose a likely threat to us then we wouldnt need to kill people in them.

As for Columbia I think thats more a humanitarian thing than anything else.
I mean cmon we have a civil war pretty much going on in our own hemisphere for some 30+ years. Isnt it about time we put an end to that crap? I mean cmon we even went and did Europe's fvcking job for them when we went and put an end to crap going on in the Balkins, but here in our own neck of the woods we havent really done enough.

With regards to North Korea, if we can expect cooperation from China then we will be sadly mistaken.
When did I claim that we can expect cooperation from China?