Synology or QNAP for Crashplan Pro?

note235

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2005
So I'd like to use a NAS that's under $500 (without HDD, I plan on puttting the 8TB reds in) that can work as a headless device to upload my archived projects/files onto my crashplan pro account. Looking for 2 bay but 4 would be preferable.

Is there a device you guys would recommend? I'm open to building a device also but if it's cheap and small I'd rather do that and leave it to upload separate from my main pc.

Feb 25, 2011
Synology and QNAP both make good stuff. Traditionally, Synology's software has been considered easier to use, but I'm not sure that's still the case. Both platforms should have a way to get you what you want.

Both brands have a few 4-bay units in that price range. If you're down to just those two, I'd say either flip a coin or buy the one with the better warranty.

Feb 25, 2011
I mean I'm open to other brands. They just need to work with crashplan pro.

Ah.

Meh. There are a lot of mediocre ones out there. I'd probably stick with Synology or QNAP.

Western Digital's been winning some awards too for this one, I suppose. So maybe that too.

If you need more NAS than that, it's going to be cheaper to BYO with some used server gear.