Synergy: Shift key is constantly getting "stuck" on Synergy client

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
It seems to only happen in an already open Windows Explorer. If I open another Explorer window (but leave the current one running), the problem isn't there on the new one, but when I switch back to the original one, its there. I usually have to perform some task like create a shortcut and delete the newly created shortcut in the window and then it goes back to normal. Either that or close the window. I've tried pressing and letting go of the left and right Shift keys (not simultaneously) and it doesn't fix the problem. I thought maybe it was due to moving the mouse between the two screens, however, I've had it happen when the mouse never leaves the client screen. Its never happened on the server screen.

The Synergy server is Windows XP x64. The Synergy client is Windows XP.

Grrr...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I get occassional things like this too using xp 32bit for the server and client. Sometimes going back to the client screen and clicking on the desktop, and coming back to the server screen fixes it. Other times I get quirks are when the server program gets terminated (intentionally) and then restarted. It will reestablish a connection with the client, but the shift or ctrl key is effectively pressed. The only way I can solve this is by rebooting the computer that runs the server.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I remember finding bugs like that in Synergy, it's almost 4 years now without a major update from them. Last I heard, they were thinking about a complete re-write...

I switched from Synergy to Input Director months ago, and have been much happier with it. It's free, regularly updated, Win7 friendly, and includes features that Synergy users are still waiting for (encryption, etc.). I would highly recommend giving it a try. I think you'll find that it provides the same functionality, but is significantly more stable.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Good luck!

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I remember finding bugs like that in Synergy, it's almost 4 years now without a major update from them. Last I heard, they were thinking about a complete re-write...

I switched from Synergy to Input Director months ago, and have been much happier with it. It's free, regularly updated, Win7 friendly, and includes features that Synergy users are still waiting for (encryption, etc.). I would highly recommend giving it a try. I think you'll find that it provides the same functionality, but is significantly more stable.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I've been interested in a free synergy alternative for a long time.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Thanks for the tip. I've been interested in a free synergy alternative for a long time.
Yeah, I'm going to give it a try as well.

As for Synergy, I found out that it is being maintained by someone else under the name Synergy+. It still has the same problem. I also noticed that the problem seems to happen after I do a drag and select operation. Not all the time though.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Yeah, I'm going to give it a try as well.

As for Synergy, I found out that it is being maintained by someone else under the name Synergy+. It still has the same problem. I also noticed that the problem seems to happen after I do a drag and select operation. Not all the time though.

Sweet, I'm testing Synergy+ now. So far it seems to work properly when its shutdown/restarted between reboots...if this works then I'm satisfied.

Input Director didn't work well for me. It doesn't translate my full mouse speed when running, which is very fast in order to cover dual 1600x1200 monitors. But probably even more of a hindrance, it doesn't maintain all my mouse button configs.

My normal right-click button is programmed to be a double-click instead (on both the master and slave computers), and it unfortunately refuses to apply this button as anything other than a right-click.

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Switched from Synergy to Input Director a few weeks ago after upgrading to Win7. Works great and is easier to set up, haven't looked back.