Syndicated cartoon dropped by some newspapers because it shows concerns of black people not taken seriously

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A clever cartoon combining two issues of concern to black people in one illustration shows we are not taken seriously. COVID-19 which kill blacks at 4x the rate of whites along with the death of George Floyd. Apparently it upset 1000 other people so some newspapers dropped the cartoon and decided to issue an apology claiming the cartoon was "offensive"
mask.jpg

The cartoon show how systemic issues are dismissed as "oh those people are just complaining again" The illustrators sent out a tweet the they do not apologize for this cartoon.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
This is a great cartoon. It hits a direct bullseye, as most good cartoons do. I will never understand this outrage culture “on both sides.” Shows how much work we really have to do to overcome this.

I watched “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” Sunday’s episode. It was awesome. He did a deep dive into US history and it’s racist and white supremacy views. Here is an article on it with the segment in it. Worth watching.

Reactions: FaaR and ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Who was complaining, though, and from which perspective?

It wouldn't surprise me if complaints were because some saw it as simply making the point that the white woman in the cartoon is making, seeing it as positively endorsing that viewpoint rather than sardonically commenting on it. It seems rather ambiguous to me, to be honest. Humour around touchy subjects is always a risk - people aren't well-atuned to subtlety about topics that involve past trauma or present danger to themselves.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
A clever cartoon combining two issues of concern to black people in one illustration shows we are not taken seriously. COVID-19 which kill blacks at 4x the rate of whites

So what do you think it is?

“We had seen quite a bit of coverage from the United States that African-Americans and other racialized minorities were more likely to get and die from COVID-19,” said Patrick Denice, assistant professor of sociology and one of the researchers behind the project. “So, we wondered whether that was true here in Canada as well.”

Through their research, Denice and his colleagues found that COVID-19 infection and death rates were disproportionately higher in communities with a greater proportion of Black residents, despite Black Canadians making up just 3.5 per cent of the national population. These results mirrored those found in other countries, but the similarities are surprising.

Canada has a universal healthcare system and perceived lower levels of racial discrimination, which should account for any differences among racial groups — especially when compared to countries without universal healthcare and arguably a greater, more public racial divide, such as the United States."

Ironically, some of it may be caused by their inaccurate assumptions about doctors, nurses, etc..

along with the death of George Floyd.

Does it make you feel better if I told you the fact that white people don't care (to the extent blacks have made this an issue) about their own being killed by cops either?

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
It wouldn't surprise me if complaints were because some saw it as simply making the point that the white woman in the cartoon is making, seeing it as positively endorsing that viewpoint rather than sardonically commenting on it. It seems rather ambiguous to me, to be honest.

Agreed, I think we have a Poe's Law situation here. I can't tell if the cartoonist is mocking the white woman, or championing her viewpoint. It's a bad cartoon.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
So what do you think it is?

“We had seen quite a bit of coverage from the United States that African-Americans and other racialized minorities were more likely to get and die from COVID-19,” said Patrick Denice, assistant professor of sociology and one of the researchers behind the project. “So, we wondered whether that was true here in Canada as well.”

Through their research, Denice and his colleagues found that COVID-19 infection and death rates were disproportionately higher in communities with a greater proportion of Black residents, despite Black Canadians making up just 3.5 per cent of the national population. These results mirrored those found in other countries, but the similarities are surprising.

Canada has a universal healthcare system and perceived lower levels of racial discrimination, which should account for any differences among racial groups — especially when compared to countries without universal healthcare and arguably a greater, more public racial divide, such as the United States."

Ironically, some of it may be caused by their inaccurate assumptions about doctors, nurses, etc..

Does it make you feel better if I told you the fact that white people don't care (to the extent blacks have made this an issue) about their own being killed by cops either?
Poor, racial minorities, kept out of the mainstream culture by the mainstream culture are poor and get sick more often. What a fucking shocker.

Also, I care about everyone murdered by fascist cops, just because you're rooting on the fascists doesn't mean your warped, dogshit-tier worldview is how everyone else functions.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Poor, racial minorities, kept out of the mainstream culture by the mainstream culture are poor and get sick more often. What a fucking shocker.

Canada and UK are very similar with the disproportional ratios despite having universal health care and less racism.

These results mirrored those found in other countries, but the similarities are surprising.

Also, I care about everyone murdered by fascist cops, just because you're rooting on the fascists doesn't mean your warped, dogshit-tier worldview is how everyone else functions.

I didn't say nobody should care. A lot of people have not cared because 99% of the time it's thugs or mentally fucked people. Whether it's black or white, it doesn't matter to them due to that. It's very similar to the attitudes to prison rape.

Btw, I love how you say you care, yet virtually everyone on the BLM side are completely dismissive of the white deaths. To acknowledge it would ruin their narrative. If you took Claira Janover's analogy, for example, what's 2.5 times (which doesn't even account for the difference in violence and SES) a "paper cut"? A cat scratch?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Canada and UK are very similar with the disproportional ratios despite having universal health care and less racism.

These results mirrored those found in other countries, but the similarities are surprising.

I didn't say nobody should care. A lot of people have not cared because 99% of the time it's thugs or mentally fucked people. Whether it's black or white, it doesn't matter to them due to that. It's very similar to the attitudes to prison rape.

Btw, I love how you say you care, yet virtually everyone on the BLM side are completely dismissive of the white deaths. To acknowledge it would ruin their narrative. If you took Claira Janover's analogy, for example, what's 2.5 times (which doesn't even account for the difference in violence and SES) a "paper cut"? A cat scratch?
The only good fascists are dead fascists. I don't care who they abuse and murder. Go on comparing apples to oranges though, collaborator.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Plenty of racism in the UK. And plenty of structural consequences of past racism.

The exact same topic - why are ethnic minority groups are being harder hit - gets the same kind of arguments here as in the US. Personally I suspect there more than enough structural factors to account for it without having to bring in biology, or even explicit ongoing racism (e.g. being more likely to be living in more crowded conditions in more urban areas making keeping 'social distance' harder, and/or more likely to be in the kinds of jobs where you can't avoid close contact with other people and can't work from home - including health workers - and perhaps there being more intergenerational households).

I think it's broadly much the same sort of hard-to-pin-down effect that means working class people have worse health outcomes and shorter average lifespans than middle-class people - even when you try and correct for the known factors, there's still a residue difference. I don't think it has to be the most explicit, straight-forward kind of racism involved, just the multitudinous secondary effects of past and on-going disadvantage.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Plenty of racism in the UK. And plenty of structural consequences of past racism.

The exact same topic - why are ethnic minority groups are being harder hit - gets the same kind of arguments here as in the US. Personally I suspect there more than enough structural factors to account for it without having to bring in biology, or even explicit ongoing racism (e.g. being more likely to be living in more crowded conditions in more urban areas making keeping 'social distance' harder, and/or more likely to be in the kinds of jobs where you can't avoid close contact with other people and can't work from home - including health workers - and perhaps there being more intergenerational households).

I think it's broadly much the same sort of hard-to-pin-down effect that means working class people have worse health outcomes and shorter average lifespans than middle-class people - even when you try and correct for the known factors, there's still a residue difference. I don't think it has to be the most explicit, straight-forward kind of racism involved, just the multitudinous secondary effects of past and on-going disadvantage.
Being poor from conception, and being physically, mentally and emotionally ignored by mainstream society does a lot of damage. Anyone trying to point to genetics is tipping their hand to their inherent racism.