SyFy The Expanse

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Not happy.

Talk about an underwhelming final episode that lacks closure all over, wtf.
a few seasons ago, they showed bobbi shooting her Goliath armor mini-missiles at LONG range targets.
in this series finales, she had to be up close to take out the super rail gun's power source?!

sigh............

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
a few seasons ago, they showed bobbi shooting her Goliath armor mini-missiles at LONG range targets.
in this series finales, she had to be up close to take out the super rail gun's power source?!

sigh............
They were trying to capture them to use them to take over the system from the belters but when it became obvious they could not do that with what they had left they simply destroyed them as she said she had to afterwards.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I think it was a great Season/Series finale. It was never intended to close every single plot arc in motion, simply to resolve the Marco Inaros/Free Navy arc.

Obviously there are three more books beyond the book the 6th season covers and with any luck the show will take a short pause, move into other mediums and tell other stories for a bit before it can come back with a mini-series or a trilogy of movies to wrap things up. Its a really weird show, it feels like the most popular show no one ever talks about.

Some quick throughts:

- Zombified kid is zombified. Really showed that he was super messed up in the final episode, while he seemed a bit more normal and not so herky jerky in the last one (weird eyes notwithstanding). Really hope we get closure to this little plotline someday, the kid is clearly still himself, but he's also something more. Basically a hybrid that's more human than protomolecule.

- Show starts with an Ice hauler getting blown up, ends with an ice hauler getting blown up. Remember the Cant!

- Really enjoyed the spectacle of the Medina station raid. If you read the names on the heartbeat monitor, Amos and Bobbie were in some top notch company. Also Amos' entire decent onto the rail gun platform was absolutely insane. Free Navy soldier that was about to take out Bobbie was id'ed as being armed with a "BFG-9001".

- Peaches, oh no! I thought it was a little silly that Holden has to take anti-cancer meds for the rest of his life after getting zapped with a lethal dose of rads on Eros, but there is no known cure for endocrine diseases for Peaches? Come on! Also she and Amos are BFFs now.

- I appreciated that the show gave us the Roci/Pella slugfest earlier in the season so they could tie Marco's death into the greater danger posed by the ring gates. "You were a useful distraction" indeed you were Marco.

- Liked the "round table" discussion. Camina is just as deadly at the negotiating table as she is at the helm of a ship! Damn Avasarala finally met her match! Throwing the "trust me" lines back in the inner's faces and working with Holden to get herself installed as head of the Transit Union was some 5d chess. "Don't you fucking do it..."

- The Laconians are gonna be a problem with their Protomolecule Fleet. Yam Seng to the Sol System!

Some last non-spoilery thoughts. I appreciated that the show provided closure in equal measure with leaving future plots open in the event that its able to come back. I loved that the Expanse is absolutely not just trying to be Game of Thrones in space, and that the whole vibe of the show is fundamentally positive despite having some really dark subject matter. It is a better Star Trek than most modern Star Trek when it shows that good people will rise to the challenge and overcome when faced with seemingly insurmountable adversity.

I really enjoyed my time with The Expanse. It is easily some of the best Sci-Fi I have ever seen in my life, it was clearly made by people that love the material they're working with, and I hope there is more yet to come in any medium they choose to pursue.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

sigh............
She killed the power source with suit weapons in the show?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I think it was a great Season/Series finale. It was never intended to close every single plot arc in motion, simply to resolve the Marco Inaros/Free Navy arc.

Obviously there are three more books beyond the book the 6th season covers and with any luck the show will take a short pause, move into other mediums and tell other stories for a bit before it can come back with a mini-series or a trilogy of movies to wrap things up. Its a really weird show, it feels like the most popular show no one ever talks about.

Some quick throughts:

- Zombified kid is zombified. Really showed that he was super messed up in the final episode, while he seemed a bit more normal and not so herky jerky in the last one (weird eyes notwithstanding). Really hope we get closure to this little plotline someday, the kid is clearly still himself, but he's also something more. Basically a hybrid that's more human than protomolecule.

- Show starts with an Ice hauler getting blown up, ends with an ice hauler getting blown up. Remember the Cant!

- Really enjoyed the spectacle of the Medina station raid. If you read the names on the heartbeat monitor, Amos and Bobbie were in some top notch company. Also Amos' entire decent onto the rail gun platform was absolutely insane. Free Navy soldier that was about to take out Bobbie was id'ed as being armed with a "BFG-9001".

- Peaches, oh no! I thought it was a little silly that Holden has to take anti-cancer meds for the rest of his life after getting zapped with a lethal dose of rads on Eros, but there is no known cure for endocrine diseases for Peaches? Come on! Also she and Amos are BFFs now.

- I appreciated that the show gave us the Roci/Pella slugfest earlier in the season so they could tie Marco's death into the greater danger posed by the ring gates. "You were a useful distraction" indeed you were Marco.

- Liked the "round table" discussion. Camina is just as deadly at the negotiating table as she is at the helm of a ship! Damn Avasarala finally met her match! Throwing the "trust me" lines back in the inner's faces and working with Holden to get herself installed as head of the Transit Union was some 5d chess. "Don't you fucking do it..."

- The Laconians are gonna be a problem with their Protomolecule Fleet. Yam Seng to the Sol System!

Some last non-spoilery thoughts. I appreciated that the show provided closure in equal measure with leaving future plots open in the event that its able to come back. I loved that the Expanse is absolutely not just trying to be Game of Thrones in space, and that the whole vibe of the show is fundamentally positive despite having some really dark subject matter. It is a better Star Trek than most modern Star Trek when it shows that good people will rise to the challenge and overcome when faced with seemingly insurmountable adversity.

I really enjoyed my time with The Expanse. It is easily some of the best Sci-Fi I have ever seen in my life, it was clearly made by people that love the material they're working with, and I hope there is more yet to come in any medium they choose to pursue.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts on the show. I probably will go back and watch the rest of it soonish.

I do think The Expanse is so loved also because there's such a dearth of decent Sci Fi, it's refreshing to have something at least solid.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I thought it was a good season finale and easily better than what GOT became.

It wasn't blow my mind great but it was definitely more satisfying and it was good. The most clear plot line left open is the boy who came back to life, so it's clearly meant to suggest a chance for additional shows and makes the statement that this was not supposed to be a full closure finale. Which is great.

I downloaded the first book and will hopefully start that sooner than later.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I thought it was a good season finale and easily better than what GOT became.

It wasn't blow my mind great but it was definitely more satisfying and it was good. The most clear plot line left open is the boy who came back to life, so it's clearly meant to suggest a chance for additional shows and makes the statement that this was not supposed to be a full closure finale. Which is great.

Would love to hear your impressions on the book after having watched the show first

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
They were trying to capture them to use them to take over the system from the belters but when it became obvious they could not do that with what they had left they simply destroyed them as she said she had to afterwards.
then why did she do a suicide charge alone?
if she was going to do that charge with capture in mind, then why not plan it with her team?

this episode had star trek size plot holes :(

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
according to some news sites covid interrupted production so they couldnt film a bunch of scenes. so everything is a bodge to get the bare minimum product out. you can see they had all the beats for the character arcs set up but no time to establish the build up:
clarissa mao being called part of the crew by holden, clarissa not using her mods when naomi found her, drummer doing the political things turning into a leadership role, etc

given they knew that it was coming to an end, i would rather they skipped the little girl on laconia stuff and spent more time on the roci crew.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
then why did she do a suicide charge alone?
if she was going to do that charge with capture in mind, then why not plan it with her team?

this episode had star trek size plot holes :(

-But she wasn't, that was the whole point.
The idea was to capture the railguns but after the attack started they lost too many drop pods and encountered way more resistance than expected.

Amos even comments "Naiomi is usually better at math" when the expected 20% casualty rate from the drop is really much much higher.

They're pinned down, all the other teams were wiped, Bobbie basically made the call to suicide run the control station and destroy it. The perspective isn't great either, but remember that each of those railguns was absolutely massive (each one is basically frigate sized) and she was still quite far from the station she blew up.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
according to some news sites covid interrupted production so they couldnt film a bunch of scenes. so everything is a bodge to get the bare minimum product out. you can see they had all the beats for the character arcs set up but no time to establish the build up:
clarissa mao being called part of the crew by holden, clarissa not using her mods when naomi found her, drummer doing the political things turning into a leadership role, etc

given they knew that it was coming to an end, i would rather they skipped the little girl on laconia stuff and spent more time on the roci crew.

It depends on what they plan to do, if anything, with the rest of the source material. The little girl on Laconia is important to the remainder of the series.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
It depends on what they plan to do, if anything, with the rest of the source material. The little girl on Laconia is important to the remainder of the series.
I so wanted to know what was going on on that planet. I suppose that a couple more episodes wouldn't have been enough to get into that much more. BooHoo!

I pretty much enjoyed the season finale. It's the best that could be expected, IMHO, without another two episodes in the season to expand some areas of the plot more.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
They didn't have to introduce Lanconia at all, let alone spend so much time there this season. I get it's part of the books, and I also get that they show runners are hoping to get it picked up elsewhere. The fact that they don't, and didn't have solid plans to port this somewhere else only highlights how bad the choice was to include it at all. There wasn't anything that added to the show as a whole. Worse is that there honestly wasn't anything introduced here that couldn't have been done if and when the show continued. Giving us 15mins or so total of a future plotline when the show is ended is stupid and creates unsatisfying endings.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I so wanted to know what was going on on that planet. I suppose that a couple more episodes wouldn't have been enough to get into that much more. BooHoo!

I pretty much enjoyed the season finale. It's the best that could be expected, IMHO, without another two episodes in the season to expand some areas of the plot more.

Pretty much this. Could they have made it a longer last season? Oh hell yeah. But we got 6 to work with, and so that finale was good when you think about the time constraints.

Reactions: Ajay

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
why didnt mars build more gunships like the Roci instead of Donginger class mega-warships?
dozens of roci class instead of 2 Donginger class.

they are against belters who mostly have small ships.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So finished up the last season a week or so ago, I guess it was OK.
Not sure why they decided to have Alex die.... as he is alive in the books until the end basically.
I read the books so long ago I forgot a lot, but overall satisfied with the series other than the obvious they don't cover all the books. Would love to have them continue to see the ship yards and what they will make the Laconia ships look like, they were so bad ass in the books.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
So finished up the last season a week or so ago, I guess it was OK.
Not sure why they decided to have Alex die.... as he is alive in the books until the end basically.
I read the books so long ago I forgot a lot, but overall satisfied with the series other than the obvious they don't cover all the books. Would love to have them continue to see the ship yards and what they will make the Laconia ships look like, they were so bad ass in the books.

Actor who played Alex had some sexual harassment or assault claims come up so he got written out I believe.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I snagged a box-set of the first three books a few weeks ago from Amazon (old-fashioned paper format) but have not started them yet either.

Last edited:

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I highly recommend the series, I think there may be a book or two that kinda drags the major overall story arc, but all easy to read solid books.

Reactions: Captante