Switching AMD to Intel without new Win 7 install?

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I'm going to upgrade my old Gigabyte AM3 + Phenom x720 to a Gigabyte 1155 + IVB and was hoping I could do it without reinstalling Windows.

I've switched motherboards in the past without having to do a reinstall, but never switched from AMD to Intel or vice versa. Do you think this will work? Is there any way to preserve my programs through this upgrade?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
You could try it to see if it works, but I'm betting you will have to reinstall. Make sure that you're using the generic AHCI drivers for best results.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
Ok, slightly different question.

I had Win xp, then bought an upgrade to Win 7 x64 Home Premium. I transitioned to a SSD and had to call Microsoft when I went to install Windows b/c the SSD didn't have Win xp installed on it, so nothing to upgrade. Then I upgraded to Win 7 Professional x64 because I needed more than 16gb ram.

Can I just use the key listed in the control panel system tab to reinstall, or will I have to call Microsoft again?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can I just use the key listed in the control panel system tab to reinstall, or will I have to call Microsoft again?

It doesn't list the Product Key, it lists the Product ID, which is an installation ID that is generated once you install the product. It is not the key that is necessary to install it.

For getting that, using Magic Jellybean.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
there may be some drivers to do, but it's intel -> amd that's the more difficult switch due to intel having a specific driver that looks for something. i've gone amd to intel no problem. and that was with xp, which everyone claims should be worse.

reinstall is an unnecessary hassle.