Swimmers covered up act of vandalism

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
No offense, but I take it you're not what most folks would call a "world traveller", right?

Actually I've very well traveled. I've never been held at gun point by police and demanded payment from them before they would release me. I can certainly see why an American would consider that robbery.

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
Imagine bunch of 16 year old *black* athletes pulling the same stunt. How many of you will *not* be calling them thugs?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
While it could certainly be abused, in this case I am quite sure that the swimmers were happy to pay the money versus the real police being called and them being arrested.

Edit: Not sure how I feel about them being pulled off the plane. If they did indeed commit a crime they basically get off scott free once they get back to the US. Wouldn't we arrest someone for making a false police report, especially of that magnitude and publicity?

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Story is crazy. They were accused of vandalizing the bathroom, no proof so far yet. But they were held at gun point by a security guard and then extorted out of money and then let go. Wtf? What police force asks for money on the spot while being held on the streets? I'm surprised it's being reported in the media as anti-swimmers right now.
Actually thats kind of an interesting way of handling problems. You get caught vandalizing and the security or police require reimbursement and a fine on the spot.
It seems to me the swim team is full of crap but who knows. The apology that was issued wasnt even an apology. Anyways its strange no matter how you look at it.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
The practice of demanding payment on the spot is certainly not uncommon, but it seems to me as an invitation for corruption. I mean, a cop is far more likely to extort some foreigner if he gets cash himself than he is to try and get the foreigner to just pay a fine to the government.

This story seems really strange, but it's obvious the swimmers behaved like asses no matter how you look at it. They may or many not have been extorted at gunpoint afterwards. Pulling them off the plan and holding them there seems like a really dumb move IMO, I'm far less likely to travel to a country as a tourist when they do that kind of stuff.
what are you worried about? not getting away with a crime