Sweet! Locked my keys in the car again!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I put my spare key in my wallet. I've locked myself out a couple of times, but since I had my wallet on me, it's been ok.

FatFuzzybunny 1
Hossenfeffer 0

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Quick horror story. A buddy of mine wanted me to drive his crappy Ford Ranger from northern IN to Georgia, where he was... I got a few hotties in the car, and we took off to spend a low cost spring break... They decided to light up a joint in the car, which I don't think is cool, but they were hot, and I was single, so I let it slide. Well the car was a POS, and and the tranmission (manual) started acting crazy... It locked completely for a while on the highway, and I said "If it happens again, we're turning around..."

We had just come to the southern IN border, and we decide to stop at a rest stop. As I start slowing down, the transmission locks again, and I coast into the rest stop. Time to call it quits. I get out saying, "Im gonna call and let him know we're not going to make it." One girl is going to go into the rest stop, the other was going to stay... I left the key in the ignition, lights on, with the radio for her. (this is in the middle of the night, mind you) She decides to go in also, throws her bag of pot on the dash, and LOCKS THE DOORS.

So, I have a car running, lights on, bag of pot on the dash, with the keys locked inside about 300 miles from home! I call my buddy and say we're not going to make it, and the keys are locked inside! Right as I say this, a group of state troopers are walking by, and hears me, and offers to help me get the keys out!

I start sweating...

Oddly enough, he approaches the car, *SWEAT* shines a flashlight around it, stops on the bag of pot briefly, *PROFUSELY SWEATING* (preparing to assume the position) takes his slim jim, unlocks the door, and says, "There you go, have a nice night."

I thought I was dead for sure.... :D

Remember kids, DRUGS ARE BAD! (on the road) ;)

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: DefDC
Quick horror story. A buddy of mine wanted me to drive his crappy Ford Ranger from northern IN to Georgia, where he was... I got a few hotties in the car, and we took off to spend a low cost spring break... They decided to light up a joint in the car, which I don't think is cool, but they were hot, and I was single, so I let it slide. Well the car was a POS, and and the tranmission (manual) started acting crazy... It locked completely for a while on the highway, and I said "If it happens again, we're turning around..."

We had just come to the southern IN border, and we decide to stop at a rest stop. As I start slowing down, the transmission locks again, and I coast into the rest stop. Time to call it quits. I get out saying, "Im gonna call and let him know we're not going to make it." One girl is going to go into the rest stop, the other was going to stay... I left the key in the ignition, lights on, with the radio for her. (this is in the middle of the night, mind you) She decides to go in also, throws her bag of pot on the dash, and LOCKS THE DOORS.

So, I have a car running, lights on, bag of pot on the dash, with the keys locked inside about 300 miles from home! I call my buddy and say we're not going to make it, and the keys are locked inside! Right as I say this, a group of state troopers are walking by, and hears me, and offers to help me get the keys out!

I start sweating...

Oddly enough, he approaches the car, *SWEAT* shines a flashlight around it, stops on the bag of pot briefly, *PROFUSELY SWEATING* (preparing to assume the position) takes his slim jim, unlocks the door, and says, "There you go, have a nice night."

Cool story! :thumbsup:

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I locked my keys in my car with the car running once. I disabled the auto-unlock on the driver side door so I didn't have to pull up the handle when I locked the door. Sometime later I added a security system. The security system auto-locks when the ignition is on. Anyway I stepped out of the car for a second and the door closed and it was locked. :(

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
A $65 fee to open my car once taught me a lesson I now take to heart.

I usually hide a key on my vehicles in a very special place. I've had to go there several times and thank goodness for that.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
After doing that a few times, I now keep a key on the outside of my vehicle hidden away so I can get in if I do that. Have only had to use it once.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
oh the numerous times I had locked my keys in my truck
a few times requires the help from outsides, such as my manager at the one place i worked at, my parents at times, happened at a gas station once (the humanity), and a few other places, such as at a best buy.
a few of the times it was me being an idiot and forgetting
other times I would get distracted, such as answering a phone call at the last minute, and staying in the car or walking out of the car as I was on the phone and leaving the keys in the ignition, but still remembering to lock the doors and close all the windows. lol

after multiple times, i finally learned to carry a spare in my wallet. problem solved from that moment, of which I utilized that key a few times.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Garth
I locked my keys in my car 3 times in 1 day once.

:eek:

that has to be a world record.

it is blatant after twice.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: pkme2
A $65 fee to open my car once taught me a lesson I now take to heart.

I usually hide a key on my vehicles in a very special place. I've had to go there several times and thank goodness for that.

how does it stay on the car?

doesnt bumps and potholes shake it loose and drop onto the road?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I keep the remote opener separate from my car keys. Once I'm inside the car I use the car key to start it. The remote I keep in my pocket. Should the leave the car and it automatically locks (car in park and the parking brakes are engaged) I can still get in using the remote opener.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DefDC

I start sweating...

That's awesome! :D

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I keep a valey key in my wallet. The only times I've locked my keys in the car were in the trunk because it doesn't have a latch to open it. But that's why I keep the spare key on me.