Sweet jesus Dark Eldar suck.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I played tabletop once back when I was 12 or 13. Did not like.
And computers at the time werent powerful enough to run such a game. Well, I did hear about guys doing play by email or BBS.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Is this soulstorm? Did not like that expansion. The air units did not fit in well and it did not feel as good since it was made by another company.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The campaign was exactly like Dark Crusade, just take over the globe with lots of shitty pointless battles. The Sisters were almost exactly like the Space Marines except not quite as good, and both new races (Sisters and Dark Eldar) had an annoying magic power system where you had to build up mana and release it as abilities. And they sucked, big time. Not worth the effort to get the mana.

Relic should have immediately made 3 new campaigns for the first game (Chaos, Eldar, and Ork) and they never did. When you go to the campaign select menu you've only got one, and thats the only one you'll ever see.
The Guardsman campaign was nice but that required shelling out more money.

And the last two stand alone expansions were just plain crap. The races are OK if you know how to use them. I actually do quite well with Tau. Necrons are annoying but I can see how smart players would be able to win with them. But the campaigns are totally empty of life. Also, signing up and playing MP was a pain.

I can see why they'd forge ahead with Dawn of War 2, they killed the first one completely.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I liked the first DOW but the flying units didn't fit in and they really screwed with the system. Didn't play it much for the single player campaign, but it's just as boring as DOW2's 3 separate campaign battle maps. Also games for windows live is shit, didn't enjoy that aspect of DOW2 either.

rageofthepeon

Jan 31, 2012
I enjoyed playing DoW 2 & Chaos Rising. Small group/squad combat is something I find enjoyable and the RPG-ish loot element really helped. The missions did get quite repetitive and the maps got reused way too much.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
If you play skirmishes in Soulstorm I highly recommend installing the unofficial patch, and also the Dawn of Skirmish A.I. mod which dramatically makes the A.I. more challenging (as a side note I myself was a beta tester for that mod). First, you install the official patches in order, 1.10, and then 1.20. After that you install the Bugfix Mod (latest version from what I know right now is 1.41) specifically for the Soulstorm expansion (if they still have separate versions of that mod that is). Then finally you install Dawn of Skirmish 3.20 and you're set. I don't have the direct links for the mods right now but I will provide them if you can't find them.

As for the Dark Eldar in Soulstorm specifically I think they're alright at least when it comes to skirmishes. If we're talking about on-line skirmishes against other players then I wouldn't pick the Dark Eldar, I'd rather go with the Eldar (Craftworld), Space Marines, IG or Chaos. I don't really like the Sisters of Battle, Necrons or Tau. As a side note, set the difficulty of the A.I. from the DoS mod to the highest and play against 3 or 4 Necrons (with 3 or 4 allies that is) and give me some news about that, especially on maps with lots of Requisition points and Relics. I can easily have hours-long skirmishes under similar settings, quite a blast.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I played tabletop once back when I was 12 or 13. Did not like.
And computers at the time werent powerful enough to run such a game. Well, I did hear about guys doing play by email or BBS.

To be fair, I think you were way too young to appreciate it. If you have some friends who are tabletop fans and are willing to help you out, join one of their games. You might change your mind.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Ahhh, fond memories of teleporting my bonesinger across the map and in behind the enemy base, building a webway gate and demolishing everything.