Sweden drops Julian Assange (creator of Wikileaks) rape investigation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It seems like you're saying that there was no reason for a politically motivated rape investigation because the U.K. could have extradited him at any time. Right?

edit: changed "charge" for "investigation"[/QUOTE

I'm saying that the charges from Sweden are irrelevant to him getting extradited to the US

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Bullshit. He offered to answer questions from inside the embassy and Sweden refused. Odd thing to do if you're investigating a crime. They wanted him in their custody so they could send him to the U.S.

He doesn't have the right to dictate the terms, simple as that. It's not "odd" to refuse his wishes.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I'm saying that the charges from Sweden are irrelevant to him getting extradited to the US

That's legally correct, but you're ignoring political considerations. For example, do you think that the fact that the US hasn't asked Ecuador to extradite him means that they wouldn't ask the U.K. Or Sweden to extradite him?

You don't need to have a treaty in place to extradite, a nation state can extradite as a courtesy.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
That's legally correct, but you're ignoring political considerations. For example, do you think that the fact that the US hasn't asked Ecuador to extradite him means that they wouldn't ask the U.K. Or Sweden to extradite him?

You don't need to have a treaty in place to extradite, a nation state can extradite as a courtesy.
If you were the US and you wanted to put Assange behind bars, why would you choose some overly complicated plan for him to be arrested on rape charges and then extradited to the US from Sweden when Sweden avoids extraditions over political causes to the point it refused to extradite a CIA agent that defected to the Soviets? Occam's razor needs to kick in at some point.

Is there a good chance the US would like to get their hands on him? Yes.
Was he any safer in the UK than in Sweden? Nope.
What's the likelihood the rape charges were cooked up by Sweden to specifically help the US get their hands on Assange for what was obviously going to be a political reason (and which they would almost certainly block)? Very, very small.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If you were the US and you wanted to put Assange behind bars, why would you choose some overly complicated plan for him to be arrested on rape charges and then extradited to the US from Sweden when Sweden avoids extraditions over political causes to the point it refused to extradite a CIA agent that defected to the Soviets? Occam's razor needs to kick in at some point.

What's the likelihood the rape charges were cooked up by Sweden to specifically help the US get their hands on Assange for what was obviously going to be a political reason (and which they would almost certainly block)? Very, very small.

I don't think it was a complicated plan, I think they wanted him in Swedish custody until they could negotiate an extradition. Maybe the U.K. refused to extradite to the U.S. because they didn't think the optics were good. Who knows?

What is Occam's razor telling you here? That's he was really just hiding in the embassy to beat the rape charges? Then why is he still there?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Sweden was only one of Assange's problems. Another is that he jumped bail in the UK. That's a crime in and of itself even if Sweden has withdrawn the extradition request for which he posted bail. UK authorities will arrest him on sight outside the Embassy & can request extradition from any place he might go if he slips out under the radar. Only after he's in police custody somewhere will we find out about US extradition.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't think it was a complicated plan, I think they wanted him in Swedish custody until they could negotiate an extradition. Maybe the U.K. refused to extradite to the U.S. because they didn't think the optics were good. Who knows?

What is Occam's razor telling you here? That's he was really just hiding in the embassy to beat the rape charges? Then why is he still there?

Because the UK will arrest him for jumping bail if he leaves the Embassy. To my knowledge, the US has not filed for extradition with anybody or Interpol as the Swedes did. we may never. Assange only has one way to find out.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Sweden was only one of Assange's problems. Another is that he jumped bail in the UK. That's a crime in and of itself even if Sweden has withdrawn the extradition request for which he posted bail. UK authorities will arrest him on sight outside the Embassy & can request extradition from any place he might go if he slips out under the radar. Only after he's in police custody somewhere will we find out about US extradition.

Because the UK will arrest him for jumping bail if he leaves the Embassy. To my knowledge, the US has not filed for extradition with anybody or Interpol as the Swedes did. we may never. Assange only has one way to find out.

Okay, so Assange is now hiding out because he doesn't want to face the music for jumping bail? Come on.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Of the three countries named there the one most likely to extradite him to the US without question is the UK.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
One of the more interesting suppositions in all this is that the US intends to extradite Assange to face some nebulous charges that seem highly unlikely given the freedom that our Constitution & laws grant the press. That's not necessarily true of other countries whose state secrets have been revealed by Wikileaks. Claiming persecution by the big bad US govt may just be a grandstanding play.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If arrested for breaking bail he faces the possibility of up to a year in jail (and/or a fine). He doesn't wish to go to jail.

He's been in the embassy for five years. Come on.

Of the three countries named there the one most likely to extradite him to the US without question is the UK.

No one would extradite him without question. IIRC, Assange was much more popular in 2012 than he is now, so the idea that an obviously political extradition to the U.S. would be distasteful to the U.K. is not really that hard to imagine.

One of the more interesting suppositions in all this is that the US intends to extradite Assange to face some nebulous charges that seem highly unlikely given the freedom that our Constitution & laws grant the press. That's not necessarily true of other countries whose state secrets have been revealed by Wikileaks. Claiming persecution by the big bad US govt may just be a grandstanding play.

Jeff Sessions just said that arresting Assange is a priority, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The U.S. absolutely does want to extradite him and prosecute him.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...iority-says-us-attorney-general-jeff-sessions

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
5 yrs? Should have given up after ~30hrs, since only "last night" is relevant there. One also only serves 2-6 years for rape in sweden anyway, apparently.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He's been in the embassy for five years. Come on.

No one would extradite him without question. IIRC, Assange was much more popular in 2012 than he is now, so the idea that an obviously political extradition to the U.S. would be distasteful to the U.K. is not really that hard to imagine.

Jeff Sessions just said that arresting Assange is a priority, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The U.S. absolutely does want to extradite him and prosecute him.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...iority-says-us-attorney-general-jeff-sessions

Thanks for the update. Sessions is a whole new kettle of fish, obviously. He panders to the law & order crowd magnificently, doesn't he?

Just like Trump promised-

I am your voice, said Trump. I alone can fix it. I will restore law and order.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/trump-rnc-speech-alone-fix-it/492557/