[Sweclockers] Asus MG279Q is to have the same panel as Acer XB270HU

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
What happens if it goes below 40? Does the monitor turn off or something? Does it lock up and crash your rig? Or does freesync just stop syncing up? If it just acts like a regular monitor below 40, then that's not the end of the world.

It goes outside of the Freesync range and it acts like a regular monitor. You can choose to have it revert to regular vsync or vsync off.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It goes outside of the Freesync range and it acts like a regular monitor. You can choose to have it revert to regular vsync or vsync off.

Yes, if you choose vsync off then the monitor will stay at the lowest resolution (e.g. 40 fps) which can be worse than a normal monitor but if you choose vsync on, then it should snap back to the normal vsync frequency (e.g. 60 or 120 hz).

IMO, most people who buy a 144 Hz monitor won't be gaming at or below 40 fps, but it still is a caveat to freesync right now. I too think it should be fixable and most likely through drivers, but we'll have to wait and see.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
It's actually totally worthwhile to buy this monitor over the acer even with an nvidia GPU if you're only interested in ULMB or you're playing borderless windowed.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, if you choose vsync off then the monitor will stay at the lowest resolution (e.g. 40 fps) which can be worse than a normal monitor but if you choose vsync on, then it should snap back to the normal vsync frequency (e.g. 60 or 120 hz).

IMO, most people who buy a 144 Hz monitor won't be gaming at or below 40 fps, but it still is a caveat to freesync right now. I too think it should be fixable and most likely through drivers, but we'll have to wait and see.

So if you go into the 30's with the sync off option, you might expect some laggy appearance during those low dips since the monitor stays at 40hz. That's how I interpreted it at least. I don't think that would be a huge deal personally, and yes, if buying this monitor I'd need two high end cards to go with it so 40fps is unlikely.
Then again, 40fps on anything looks like garbage anyways, so it doesn't actually matter much I suppose.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008

not exactly,

if you go over the the refresh. Below it is a different.

Assuming your lowest supported frame-rate is less than 2x the maximum supported frame rate you can just send the same frame multiple times at a multiple of the frequency when you're below the minimum. I don't think Freesync supports this yet, but there's no reason that it shouldn't be able to in the future with a driver update.

I dont think it is so simple. AMD has had a long time to work on this. You would have to have some major changes and real time oversight. It is not so simple to do if your goal is to have no added latency. '

I do not think this is an issue that is easily remedied. If freesync just ran one frame behind what was displayed, it would be much easier. But that would add one frame of latency and then people would argue that it is worthless.

I cant see this as something easily solved with current HW. Fow now, the best thing to do is avoid some of the freesync monitors with higher lower limits, such as 48hz. I would say get the ones with the larger ranges and try to set your game settings to prevent common dips into the lower limit zone.

I think freesync turned out pretty darn good. It just took forever to get here. Going below the lower refresh isnt a huge issue, as long as you get a monitor with a large enough range.

Last edited:

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
The 48-75hz range really bothers me in the LG monitor. In my opninion AMD should not let freesync work in such narrow window of refresh.

40-144hz is aceptable since who buys a high refresh rate monitor is not planning to play games with low framerates. But they should put a minimum of 30hz for every monitor that comes with less than 100hz.

Monk5127

Mar 22, 2015
I concur on 30hz being a minimum before I see a freesync monitor as being a suitable purchase. With the current offerings I would be concerned as to the viability of playing a 30fps console port on it for one.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
The top-end frequency matters too.

30Hz = 33 ms maximum holdtime.
144Hz = 7 ms minimum holdtime.

85Hz = 12 ms.

Suppose an inter-frame-gap lasts 35 seconds. What are you gonna do after 33ms have expired ? The only thing you can do is show that last frame again. On a 30-144Hz monitor, that means the frame is displayed for 33ms + 7ms = 40ms. And then you can show the next frame. It means you have displayed the frame for 40ms in stead of 35ms.

On a 30-85Hz monitor, when you reach the 33ms mark, you will also decide to display the same frame again. But on the 30-85Hz monitor, you will display the frame for 33ms + 12ms = 45ms. Now you have displayed the frame for 45ms in stead of 35ms. A bigger difference. Giving a slightly higher feel of stutter.

Of course you can do slightly smarter things. Especially if you have the last frame in a buffer on the monitor. (See my post on the first page). And you need to take the 5ms time into account that it takes to send a single frame over DP1.2. But the issue stays the same: if you need to display the same frame two times, because you go over the maximum pixel-holdtime, it helps that you can display a frame as short as possible, to help prevent stutter.

Feb 19, 2009
ASUS MG279Q Monitor Now Officially a FreeSync Monitor

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/ASUS-MG279Q-Monitor-Now-Officially-FreeSync-Monitor

amdfs-mg279q.jpg

I wonder why they cannot drive 30-144 for the FS range but opt into 40-144..

It's 10 hz too high to be the perfect gaming + work monitor for cheap. grrrr

mutantmagnet

Apr 6, 2009
It's actually totally worthwhile to buy this monitor over the acer even with an nvidia GPU if you're only interested in ULMB or you're playing borderless windowed.

If someone is interested in ULMB then their only options are a Gsync monitor, or the 1 or 2 displays made by Eizo, LG and Benq with their own variation of strobed backlights.

For now there isn't a free sync monitor that also supports a strobed backlight option. I'm sure it will happen eventually but neither Freesync or gsync are an alternative to that.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
it is great to have the options we do have. There is real progress now.

I think this will be a very long term shift though. There are very few ways to experience freesync, gsync, ULMB, etc. It is not like there is a sample bar or anything. As people upgrade their monitors, they will slowly migrate. It will be a very slow migration, at least that is what i think

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

They are beta drivers. It's hard to know whether there's some functionality that's not complete yet and AMD got these drivers out now simply because there were monitors hitting the market, or if the functionality is complete as they are. It is likely though that they are early drivers and they'll be more polished when the next release. Supposed to be this month sometime.

not exactly,

if you go over the the refresh. Below it is a different.
You can use Freesync with or without vsync. What do you mean, "not exactly"?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

If it's like the Swift at ~40Hz the screen flickers. Likely just a limitation of the available screens. Hopefully the screen manufacturers will push the tech or maybe there are some screens that are better than others and they can have a higher "bin" that will go lower. They'll likely be more expensive if that's the case though.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
If someone is interested in ULMB then their only options are a Gsync monitor, or the 1 or 2 displays made by Eizo, LG and Benq with their own variation of strobed backlights.

For now there isn't a free sync monitor that also supports a strobed backlight option. I'm sure it will happen eventually but neither Freesync or gsync are an alternative to that.

ULMB is nVidia only, but BenQ has their own version on the XL2730Z with Freesync that is not proprietary to nVidia called "Motion Blur Reduction" that accomplishes the same thing by also strobing the backlight. Just like ULMB it can't be used in conjunction with variable refresh though. I would imagine that Asus will offer something as well.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013

Going by PcPer, not even G-Sync drives the LCD that low. Below 36hz it start doing it's frequency multiplication magic.

Seems to be the minimum actual hardware supports.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
So $900 for the Acer + Nvidia card or $700 for this + AMD card? Depends on if Gsync is better than whatever performance difference you get from the more expensive AMD GPU I guess.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
So $900 for the Acer + Nvidia card or $700 for this + AMD card? Depends on if Gsync is better than whatever performance difference you get from the more expensive AMD GPU I guess.

Sites are reporting $599.

"Spotted by Techreport.com, ASUS MG279Q has now been confirmed by AMD as a part of lineup with support for AMD Freesync technology and should hit retail/e-tail shelves with a price set at US $599. Currently, the same monitor is listed in Europe with prices starting at €568.72."

"Even better? The price! ASUS said this panel will ship in late Q1 of this year for just $599!" ~ PCPers That would be great as the ROG Swift with a TN panel had an MSRP of $799.

That's why I've been saying for a while that it's almost as if NV is competing in its own world now. For new builds from scratch, if you add the savings on an AMD GPU and the FreeSync monitor, all of a sudden it's like getting a free Core i7 4790K or a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD or cross-shopping a $300-400 NV GPU with a $500-700 AMD R9 300 series one. Once you go multiple screens for Eyefinity and multiple-GPUs, the NV eco-system becomes a lot more expensive.

This is only the beginning. We should see even better FreeSync monitors in the next couple of years. The biggest question market for me is the lack of 4K monitors. 4K would actually benefit from FreeSync/GSync more since that's where you are most likely to be experiencing 30-60 fps gaming situations.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

"Spotted by Techreport.com, ASUS MG279Q has now been confirmed by AMD as a part of lineup with support for AMD Freesync technology and should hit retail/e-tail shelves with a price set at US $599. Currently, the same monitor is listed in Europe with prices starting at €568.72."

"Even better? The price! ASUS said this panel will ship in late Q1 of this year for just $599!" ~ PCPers That would be great as the ROG Swift with a TN panel had an MSRP of $799.

That's why I've been saying for a while that it's almost as if NV is competing in its own world now. For new builds from scratch, if you add the savings on an AMD GPU and the FreeSync monitor, all of a sudden it's like getting a free Core i7 4790K or a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD or cross-shopping a $300-400 NV GPU with a $500-700 AMD R9 300 series one. Once you go multiple screens for Eyefinity and multiple-GPUs, the NV eco-system becomes a lot more expensive.

This is only the beginning. We should see even better FreeSync monitors in the next couple of years. The biggest question market for me is the lack of 4K monitors. 4K would actually benefit from FreeSync/GSync more since that's where you are most likely to be experiencing 30-60 fps gaming situations.

Last I checked, crossfire didn't even work with freesync. Did that change? If the AMD solution actually works, then this is looking more attractive than the Nvidia solution. I'm never in the mood to waste hundreds of dollars.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Last I checked, crossfire didn't even work with freesync. Did that change? If the AMD solution actually works, then this is looking more attractive than the Nvidia solution. I'm never in the mood to waste hundreds of dollars.

Crossfire does not work currently alongside freesync, but the next driver update (probably around June I'm guessing) is suppose to enable freesync with crossfire.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012

£499 so probably $599 msrp

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-083-AS

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

What do you mean "if the solution actually works"? Freesync works. It does not work with crossfire yet, but AMD has stated it will at some point.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
What do you mean "if the solution actually works"? Freesync works. It does not work with crossfire yet, but AMD has stated it will at some point.

For gaming at 1440p using two high end GPUs will be a common solution, so crossfire working with it is pretty critical IMO. I personally wouldn't buy it and wait for it to work someday. I'm getting so disgustingly bored with my rig still being perfectly capable for my needs that I must go 1440p with two new high end GPUs. I have to choose the monitor carefully and make sure everything actually works.

Waiting for 980ti and 300 series anxiously.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
The monitor is now up for pre-order in the UK.
The price is 500 pounds, which is just about the same price as 6500 kr in Sweden.

The release date is 4th of May, so just a few weeks from now.

source