Question Swap HITRON for Technicolor?

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
To begin, here's my setup: HITRON CGNM-3552 (Bridge Mode) > Network Switch > Google WiFi 3-puck mesh system.

I'm with Rogers Cable Internet and am using their HITRON CGNM-3552 modem. I've recently become aware of the PUMA chipset and the problems it can cause. I occasionally have issues with slow loading web pages, streaming delays and lag issues in some online games and am wondering if this modem I am using could be the source of the problem.

I currently have the option to use a Technicolor TC4400-AM modem (Rogers network approved). As mentioned, the HITRON is in bridge mode as I am using Google WiFi. Are the issues that the PUMA chipset presents still an issue with the modem in bridge mode? Could I still benefit from using my own modem?

Thanks in advance.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
To begin, here's my setup: HITRON CGNM-3552 (Bridge Mode) > Network Switch > Google WiFi 3-puck mesh system.

I'm with Rogers Cable Internet and am using their HITRON CGNM-3552 modem. I've recently become aware of the PUMA chipset and the problems it can cause. I occasionally have issues with slow loading web pages, streaming delays and lag issues in some online games and am wondering if this modem I am using could be the source of the problem.

I currently have the option to use a Technicolor TC4400-AM modem (Rogers network approved). As mentioned, the HITRON is in bridge mode as I am using Google WiFi. Are the issues that the PUMA chipset presents still an issue with the modem in bridge mode? Could I still benefit from using my own modem?

Thanks in advance.
Forgot to quote, also are you using docsis 3.1? or what service level do you subscribe to?

EDIT:
Thank you for sharing the puma chipset issue, for me the Technicolor CGM4231 has been a great modem for me, I do have mine in bridge mode, so I have to use a MOCA adapter to get my Tivo cable box onto the same network as the rest of my devices, since it uses MOCA and I didn't feel like running an ethernet to the cable box.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWiFiGuy

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
Forgot to quote, also are you using docsis 3.1? or what service level do you subscribe to?

EDIT:
Thank you for sharing the puma chipset issue, for me the Technicolor CGM4231 has been a great modem for me, I do have mine in bridge mode, so I have to use a MOCA adapter to get my Tivo cable box onto the same network as the rest of my devices, since it uses MOCA and I didn't feel like running an ethernet to the cable box.
Not sure what you mean by docsis service level. And no, I don't use any MOCA adapters. I just have my desktop hardwired in to the Google WiFi setup and everything else runs off WiFi.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Not sure what you mean by docsis service level. And no, I don't use any MOCA adapters. I just have my desktop hardwired in to the Google WiFi setup and everything else runs off WiFi.
What speed does your ISP provide?

On my system, we run docsis 3.0 and 3.1 they each use different modulation schemes.
So for instance, on D3.0 we bond 16 downstream channels and 3 upstream, it maxes at the 200 meg tier service, although technically the D3.0 modems can almost push 500 meg down.
For our 500M and 1Gig tier service, it must be a Docsis 3.1 modem. Which still uses 16 bonded channels, except its OFDM modulation which makes all 16 channels appear as 1 single large bandwidth channel. We are still stuck the the 3 QAM64 upstream carriers though which will max out around 60M up.

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
What speed does your ISP provide?

On my system, we run docsis 3.0 and 3.1 they each use different modulation schemes.
So for instance, on D3.0 we bond 16 downstream channels and 3 upstream, it maxes at the 200 meg tier service, although technically the D3.0 modems can almost push 500 meg down.
For our 500M and 1Gig tier service, it must be a Docsis 3.1 modem. Which still uses 16 bonded channels, except its OFDM modulation which makes all 16 channels appear as 1 single large bandwidth channel. We are still stuck the the 3 QAM64 upstream carriers though which will max out around 60M up.
300 down / 15 up.

EDIT: The label for this Technicolor modem says it's Docsis 3.1.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I'm in canada also and a former Rogers cable user.

If they are going to allow you to switch to the Technicolor TC4400 which is broadcom based I would do it.

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
I'm in canada also and a former Rogers cable user.

If they are going to allow you to switch to the Technicolor TC4400 which is broadcom based I would do it.
That's the next part, seeing if they even allow it. I figured I'd see if it's a practical switch before I bother waiting on hold with them to try and make the switch.

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
That is good that means when your system does go 3.1 you would be future proof.
Okay, good to know. Can't imagine I would ever need to go that high, but who knows. Next step is to call Rogers and try to make the switch to this other modem then.
Thanks to everyone here for the replies.

Reactions: DaaQ

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
That would be 1000/30
I am in US, 3.1 is backwards compatible with 3.0. On our system, unless the subscriber is going with the 500 or 1000 plans, we can use docsis 3.0 modems, but we have plenty of customers at the 60M service level using 3.1 modems.

I will say, down here, I havent seen issues with the hitron modems on our system. But the Arris ones have an exceptionally high "issue" rate. To the point where I avoid using them at all costs.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Okay, good to know. Can't imagine I would ever need to go that high, but who knows. Next step is to call Rogers and try to make the switch to this other modem then.
Thanks to everyone here for the replies.
Really, when using the modem, if a gateway, in bridge mode, you should not have problems with it going onto their CMTS.
Just tell them you purchased a new modem and would like to add the RFMAC or CMAC address and to disable the existing modem, and to send you a return box.

On our system, issues arise when trying to use the VOIP or MOCA functions. Also on our system we can configure the SSID and passwords thru the provisioning system, where customer purchased gateways are not able to use that and have to be programmed by the customer themselves.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
The Puma issues are not brand specific last I checked any brand using that chipset will have those issues. Hitron, Arris, etc.

Puma 6 chipset is worse than Puma 7 but I would still avoid both if you can get a broadcom based modem.

Rogers does the same they offer different modems based on speed. They still have some 3.0 modems is use mixed in with the 3.1 models.

You can run this test for puma based models.

Reactions: GWiFiGuy and DaaQ

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
I don't see why not. Acanac resells rogers service and uses technocolor (at this moment)
Teksavvy was the one I was in the process of switching to, hence why I bought this Technicolor modem, then of course Rogers decides to make an offer only after I put in the transfer request. It was something I'd never turn down so I just decided to stay with them. That's when I started seeing all the info about Puma chipsets when I was reading reviews about this Technicolor modem.

Reactions: Makaveli

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
The Puma issues are not brand specific last I checked any brand using that chipset will have those issues. Hitron, Arris, etc.

Puma 6 chipset is worse than Puma 7 but I would still avoid both if you can get a broadcom based modem.

Rogers does the same they offer different modems based on speed. They still have some 3.0 modems is use mixed in with the 3.1 models.

You can run this test for puma based models.

Attached a photo of my result. Honestly not even sure what to make of it. Does it seem OK or could be better?

Attachments

• network_test.png
    network_test.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 8

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Teksavvy was the one I was in the process of switching to, hence why I bought this Technicolor modem, then of course Rogers decides to make an offer only after I put in the transfer request. It was something I'd never turn down so I just decided to stay with them. That's when I started seeing all the info about Puma chipsets when I was reading reviews about this Technicolor modem.

Lol I would never go back to rogers even if they pay me.

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
All that red is the puma issue.

You want as much green as possible there.

I'm not on cable anymore so I don't know how accurate the test is for my connection but here is my result.

Oh, wow okay. I'll make the modem switch and see what kind of result I get after that. Thanks!

GWiFiGuy

Jul 19, 2020
I don't see why not. Acanac resells rogers service and uses technocolor (at this moment)
Just called to try and get it switched over. He had a bit of a tough time finding it in the approved list of modems, but eventually found it. However, it gave him an error when he tried to add it. He was expecting a modem serial number that started with a different string of characters than what I provided, so not sure what that means. He sent in a ticket to the "back office" for them to try and override it. We'll see what happens now I guess.