Swamp People

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Seriously?
Rednecks shooting alligators, point blank, while they are on a fishing line?

They try to add so much drama to the "hunt", yet it's obvious how boring and unexciting it is to shoot fish in a barrel.

These new shows are embarrassing to the History Channel.

Oh well, I guess it is better than Monster Quest.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
It's probably the same thing as Ice Road Truckers and Axe Men. I don't watch any of them and the same as any reality show. Tries to create drama from nothing.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
It's probably the same thing as Ice Road Truckers and Axe Men. I don't watch any of them and the same as any reality show. Tries to create drama from nothing.
Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel should be a documentary about Soviet transport across Lake Ladoga in the Second World War, not a lame reality show.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Here's my show idea:

Pirate Hunters. Teams of ex commandos sale around the horn of Africa killing pirates. I need this show now.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
In South Carolina, a woman from Massachusetts bags a gator:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/17/1700267/ma-woman-bags-1025-pound-alligator.html

ODD_Big_Gator.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Here's my show idea:
Pirate Hunters. Teams of ex commandos sale around the horn of Africa killing pirates.
Awesome idea!
It could be Cops for the 21st century!
"Filmed on location by the men and women of law enforcement."

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Seriously?

They try to add so much drama to the "hunt", yet it's obvious how boring and unexciting it is to shoot fish in a barrel.

That's how you are supposed to do it. It's basically either illegal, or frowned upon, to shoot alligators from a distance in the US.

First, you are likely to be shooting at a low angle over water. You can barely see a bit of an alligator in the water.

That is bad for ricochets off the water, and it's a difficult shot at distance on land because of an alligator's very small area of one shot kill probability. That area is only about the size of quarter. So, it's very likely that you will wound and not kill.

Second, if you hit the alligator at a distance on the water, it will submerge, and then you may never find it. It's very likely that you will have a submerged and wounded alligator. A much more dangerous, or cruel, proposition.

Overall, it's much less cruel to control the gator population the way you see it done on the show.

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
my idea:

a reality show about the suspense and drama ragarding the lives of people who post regularly on internet forums.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
my idea:

a reality show about the suspense and drama ragarding the lives of people who post regularly on internet forums.

all you will have is a bunch of ppl staring at the screen and typing away at the keyboard, ppl like you create weak TV programming, get a life nerd hater.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Seriously?

The History Channel swirled around the drain long ago, right after TLC and Discovery. It is a pitiful and thoroughly embarrassing excuse of a channel. I really miss the good documentaries they used to do all the time. They might have an occasional one these days, but since I never watch the crappy channel, I will never know.

Seriously, I get pissed every time I think about it and just want to punch whoever is in charge there.

Feb 10, 2000
In fairness these guys are subsistence hunters. I agree it's not much of a show but I don't think it's fair to pick on them for not being sufficiently sporting in their hunting.

Aug 23, 2000
I was watching this last night and for some reason came up with an idea for a Deadliest Warrior episode. Mall Cop vs. Internet Commando.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I watched this as well and thought to myself "How the hell is this related to history?"

Oh, and LTC8K6, what you described actually happened on the show. Dude shot an alligator 100 yards out with a rifle. Missed the first time, badly, but got him the second time. He did it while on a 12' boat in the rain. Pretty damn good shot.

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
Such a sore topic for me.

I don't understand how they have such craptastic shows. Who watches this garbage?
Sadly, I still have hope for the channel, and go and watch some every once in a while.

Last good thing I've seen was America: The Story of Us. It was good, but I would have preferred they not hack out an entire generation of US History. Still good though.

The last epic thing from them was WW2 in HD. It was well edited, paced, and had dynamic people they interviewed telling their stories. Also, they told about a couple things I had not really heard much about before (the Japanese-Americans fighting in Europe for instance).

I wish for the days of Ancient Discoveries, random documentaries, mini-series about figures in history (like Jefferson or Jackson). I know there are more, but I guess they're so old I can't remember them...

And they need to stop with the Nostradomus/2012/UFO bullshit. That is not history. Monsterquest is not history, UFO hunting is not history. Sure, they all tie to it, but they are not good for the meat and potatoes of history.