Svideo into sorround sound unit wont work but composite will..?

shaxs

Jan 1, 2003
Svideo into sorround sound unit wont work but composite will..I have tried svideo from both my desktop and my new laptop...the computer picks up the tv like it will allow in the settings to put the tv as a second monitor, but nothing shows up on the tv. ANytime I use composite video in it works.. anyone have any idea why only composite works? Also anyone know where I can get an svideo to composite convertor?

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Is there anythinge else (video wise) going into the reciever (i'm assuming that's what you mean by "surround sound unit"). On some recievers you can use S-video *or* composite, but you can't mix and match. For example, you can't have yer DVD player using S-video and yer VCR using composite. They both have to using the same thing. I'd assume Radio Shack would have the converter you are looking for.

If that's not the problem I'm outta suggestions. :)

Lethal

shaxs

Jan 1, 2003
yes sorry the reciever... and I dont have anything plugged into the composite part of the dvd section of plugs in the back. Still no go. Its really wierd. Ill go to rat shack today and get a convertor =(

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shaxs
yes sorry the reciever... and I dont have anything plugged into the composite part of the dvd section of plugs in the back. Still no go. Its really wierd. Ill go to rat shack today and get a convertor =(

Just to make sure I was, clear you can't use composite *at all* if you want to use S-video and vice versa. If *anything* is plugged into any composite i/o you have to use all composite. Or if anything is plugged into any s-video i/o you have to use all S-video.

Lethal

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Or if anything is plugged into any s-video i/o you have to use all S-video.

If that were true, how would you get audio? S-video only carries the video stream...where would the audio come from?

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: rbV5

If that were true, how would you get audio? S-video only carries the video stream...where would the audio come from?

This is correct. You can connect composite audio in conjunction with Svideo, however you have to make sure the composite video is not plugged in. You can also mix composite video with other audio connections (ie optical audio) I believe - I'm 99% I did this in the past with my home DVD player.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: rbV5

I meant in terms of video i/o. Guess I shoulda been more clear.

Lethal

shaxs

Jan 1, 2003
so let me get this straight... Lets say I have video inputs for dvd, sat, tv. If I have ANY composite connected to the tv or the sat ports, the svideo for the DVD section wont work?

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: shaxs
so let me get this straight... Lets say I have video inputs for dvd, sat, tv. If I have ANY composite connected to the tv or the sat ports, the svideo for the DVD section wont work?

Correct. At least, that's been my experience, but I don't know if every reciever is like that.

Lethal