SUV's aren't bad...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
i think buying a huge car like that for no purpose is stopid, but thats just me. MY dad drives a v8 explorer, party cuz of our boat and partly for huting purposes. As long as you have a reason to buy somethign that huge, go with it

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: no0b
Why do you guys always care what other people drive.

They pollute heavily, they use alot of gas, if in an accident with a car the person in the car has little chance, alot of dumbass SUV drivers drive 60 on icey roads causing major pileups. They have a tendancy to flip.

Don't forget blocking the view on the road. That's my major peeve. I don't care if they flip, that's their problem.

Blocking your view? I'd hate to see you on a road filled with minivans, pickups, and cargo vans...let alone big rigs (semis).
These guys usually stick to the slow lane, and Minivan beltline is not that high. I can still see the roof of the car ahead.
It's a safery issue. It helps to see the road conditions further ahead than the taillights of the SUV ahead of you.
Highlander is just Camry Wagon. So it's not really an SUV.

So I guess the Pilot is an Accord Wagon?
Yes. Pilot is based on Odyssey, which is based on Accord.
The only problem I have with the highlander is the high beltline, so I can't see through it on the road.
Grow some balls. Did you fail driver's ed?
See above. It's blocking my view, so I have to pass the SUV in front of me. Of course they like to tailgate the guy in front of them, which means I have to cut them off, and then they get pissed and highbeam me or something lame. The considerate ones stick to the truck lane. That's what it's there for, trucks :D

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

They pollute heavily, they use alot of gas, if in an accident with a car the person in the car has little chance, alot of dumbass SUV drivers drive 60 on icey roads causing major pileups. They have a tendancy to flip.

Don't forget blocking the view on the road. That's my major peeve. I don't care if they flip, that's their problem.

Blocking your view? I'd hate to see you on a road filled with minivans, pickups, and cargo vans...let alone big rigs (semis).
These guys usually stick to the slow lane, and Minivan beltline is not that high. I can still see the roof of the car ahead.
It's a safery issue. It helps to see the road conditions further ahead than the taillights of the SUV ahead of you.

Yes. Pilot is based on Odyssey, which is based on Accord.
The only problem I have with the highlander is the high beltline, so I can't see through it on the road.
See above. It's blocking my view, so I have to pass the SUV in front of me. Of course they like to tailgate the guy in front of them, which means I have to cut them off, and then they get pissed and highbeam me or something lame. The considerate ones stick to the truck lane. That's what it's there for, trucks :D

Where are these truck lanes? They don't exist in my state.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The right lane in CA is for trucks, and truck speed limit is 55. :D

Good for CA but a majority of the population in the US doesn't live in CA.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
See above. It's blocking my view, so I have to pass the SUV in front of me. Of course they like to tailgate the guy in front of them, which means I have to cut them off, and then they get pissed and highbeam me or something lame. The considerate ones stick to the truck lane. That's what it's there for, trucks

Your agument is full of bullsh!t and assumptions:

Assumption #1: SUV drivers tailgate
Assumption #2: Minivan drivers usually stay in the slow lane
Assumption #3: SUV drivers get easily pissed and flick their high beams at you

In this case your ASSumptions don't make an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME"...just "U"

Go back to drivers ed. You don't DEPEND on looking through the glass car in front of you for making decisions. You can't DEPEND on that. Is it nice to have that security though, sure...but it's not a certainty by any means. What if you are behind a panel van, or a semi, or a pickup with a camper shell on it, or a mobile home. Are you gonna sit there and cry like a little bitch and say you can't see? If you are behind an Accord that has 3 people in the back seat blocking your view through the car, are you gonna bitch and moan and scream bloody murder? No, you use what you learned in driver's ed.

If you are driving so close that you can't make snap decisions on changing lanes or what's ahead of you, then it's your own damn fault. Stay a safe distance and keep tabs on the taillamps of the vehicle in front of you. Also pay close attention to the CHMSL on vehicles in front of you. You need to change lanes, use your eyes and your mirrors and stop relying on "freebies"

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
See above. It's blocking my view, so I have to pass the SUV in front of me. Of course they like to tailgate the guy in front of them, which means I have to cut them off, and then they get pissed and highbeam me or something lame. The considerate ones stick to the truck lane. That's what it's there for, trucks

In this case your ASSumptions don't make an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME"...just "U"

Go back to drivers ed. You don't DEPEND on looking through the glass car in front of you for making decisions. You can't DEPEND on that. Is it nice to have that security though, sure...but it's not a certainty by any means. What if you are behind a panel van, or a semi, or a pickup with a camper shell on it, or a mobile home. Are you gonna sit there and cry like a little bitch and say you can't see? If you are behind an Accord that has 3 people in the back seat blocking your view through the car, are you gonna bitch and moan and scream bloody murder? No, you use what you learned in driver's ed.

If you are driving so close that you can't make snap decisions on changing lanes or what's ahead of you, then it's your own damn fault. Stay a safe distance and keep tabs on the taillamps of the vehicle in front of you. Also pay close attention to the CHMSL on vehicles in front of you. You need to change lanes, use your eyes and your mirrors and stop relying on "freebies"

Not all of them do it, but I've seen enough who do. And I can drive with an SUV in front of me. Thankfully their brakes suck, so I can brake faster then them.
But usually If I see an SUV, van, panel truck, semi, I pass them, because I preffer to see the road more than just 10 feet ahead of me. Now if they were consederate they wouldn't be driving in the passing lane requiring me to pass them on the right.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Not all of them do it, but I've seen enough who do. And I can drive with an SUV in front of me. Thankfully their brakes suck, so I can brake faster then them.
But usually If I see an SUV, van, panel truck, semi, I pass them, because I preffer to see the road more than just 10 feet ahead of me. Now if they were consederate they wouldn't be driving in the passing lane requiring me to pass them on the right.

Yeah, because we know that SUV drivers and the like are the ONLY ones that could be inconsiderate drivers who loiter in the fast lane...PUHLEASE!
rolleye.gif

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Yeah, because we know that SUV drivers and the like are the ONLY ones that could be inconsiderate drivers who loiter in the fast lane...PUHLEASE!
rolleye.gif

So, does that excuse their actions? They are blocking my fvcking view, okay.

ebloom

May 3, 2002
Vandals target SUVs in Virginia

"A radical environmental group is believed to be responsible for a recent vandalism spree that has damaged more than 25 sport utility vehicles and construction sites in central Virginia, according to police."

:disgust:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

rolleye.gif

Sarcasm is lost on you I see...
rolleye.gif

So if a person in an Altima was in the fast lane impeding your forward progress, you wouldn't be equally pissed at them? This whole "blocking my view" is a cop out. Vehicles have been "blocking peoples' views" since the dawn of motoring.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I witnessed two rather interesting things today, while driving outside in the snow. A man ahead of me in an Explorer was driving maybe 10 mph, while the rest of the traffic around him was driving a (safe) 25-30 mph. He is a hazard already in this weather. I go to pass him, but instead he pulls into that lane without signalling. Hey thanks buddy! So I manage to get around him, and I notice he's talking on his cell phone.

Later on the same road, I see the person in front of me put on her brakes because a Durango made a left turn in front of her, to make a U-turn. As I pass the Durango, who is in the process of turning around, I see what else, She's talking on her cell phone!

Hooray for humanity!

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002

This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read... NFS I am losing all respect for you. Keep contradicting yourself... then again you do that every time you post a car thread.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

rolleye.gif

Sarcasm is lost on you I see...
rolleye.gif

So if a person in an Altima was in the fast lane impeding your forward progress, you wouldn't be equally pissed at them? This whole "blocking my view" is a cop out. Vehicles have been "blocking peoples' views" since the dawn of motoring.

Yes, anyone in fast lane pisses me off. They never seem to be going fast enough :)

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
I also don't hear you people bitching about the millions of 70-80 year old grandmas and grandpas that drive around in their HUGE V8 powered, land yacht, 8 MPG 70's vintage battlecruisers. I know you all have seen 'em on the road. They're everywhere cutting people off and drving 55MPH in the 65MPH zone.

And what about the old folks in their huge "newer" Lincoln Town Cars and Grand Marquis? Usually, its only the husband and wife driving this HUGE battle axe.

But they have the right to buy whatever they want so I don't bust their balls about it.

70's vintage batlecruisers....LMAO!

"Helm, lock in a course for the bingo parlor....engage!"

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
By the way, why is it that SUV drivers seem to enjoy pulling up way past the crossing zone lines? Seriously... don't pull up that close you morons. I can't see around your bloated hood. And if you're behind me and trying to turn right with an SUV on the left, don't fvcking blow your horn like I'm the moron.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Triumph
I witnessed two rather interesting things today, while driving outside in the snow. A man ahead of me in an Explorer was driving maybe 10 mph, while the rest of the traffic around him was driving a (safe) 25-30 mph. He is a hazard already in this weather. I go to pass him, but instead he pulls into that lane without signalling. Hey thanks buddy! So I manage to get around him, and I notice he's talking on his cell phone.

Later on the same road, I see the person in front of me put on her brakes because a Durango made a left turn in front of her, to make a U-turn. As I pass the Durango, who is in the process of turning around, I see what else, She's talking on her cell phone!

Hooray for humanity!
:|:|:|:|:|

cellphone drivers = annoying as hell. I have a cell phone, but do you see ME talking on it while driving? NO! Unless you HAVE TO for your job (and even then, you should stop somewhere if you absolutely have to answer), there is NO FVCKING EXCUSE for driving while talking on a cell phone, cept extreme emergencies.

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
This equals i just like to bitch for the sole purpose of bitching...

You guys are so fvcking lame... only one around here with common sense seems to be NFS4. Your logic is a joke and common sense is not common with this bunch. If you hate SUV's that much don't drive simple as that TAKE THE FVCKING BUS!!!

PreDatoR

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: zCypher
Originally posted by: Triumph

Hooray for humanity!
:|:|:|:|:|

cellphone drivers = annoying as hell. I have a cell phone, but do you see ME talking on it while driving? NO! Unless you HAVE TO for your job (and even then, you should stop somewhere if you absolutely have to answer), there is NO FVCKING EXCUSE for driving while talking on a cell phone, cept extreme emergencies.

Now i agree 100% with this people on cell phones while driving really piss me off... especially when they are all over the road and can't maintain their speed for nothing...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jellomancer

This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read... NFS I am losing all respect for you. Keep contradicting yourself... then again you do that every time you post a car thread.

Refute the many points I made in this thread to SuperTool and others. Hell, go ahead and try to refute the quotes of mine that you just pointed out. If you can't, then sorry for ya.

By the way, why is it that SUV drivers seem to enjoy pulling up way past the crossing zone lines? Seriously... don't pull up that close you morons. I can't see around your bloated hood. And if you're behind me and trying to turn right with an SUV on the left, don't fvcking blow your horn like I'm the moron.

It's not just SUV drivers. A dumbass driver is a dumbass driver plain and simple. I got cut off by an idiot in a Mercury Sable Wagon today. Idiots drivers are everywhere.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I dislike SUV's too.. they are not very practical for most people, and it gets to me too... but i don't really care that much.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
The world's supply of crude oil will never run out. The price of crude oil will just get so high that noone can afford it.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm not an SUV fan either though I own one myself now. I would much rather drive a sporty sedan than my SUV but my SUV has so many more things going for it than my car. First for all those who complain about emissions, my SUV (Acura MDX) is ULEV2 certified meaning it has the cleanest emissions of any vehicle including practically all cars. Second, on the highway, I can get up to 26mpg while holding 7 people. Third, though it can't hold as much as most minivans, I can only think of one minivan (Chrysler T&C I believe) that has AWD. With this lousy weather we've been having in the NE this season, having an SUV has made driving so much safer instead of using my RWD sedan. Though I don't use the space everyday, I do need the space of an SUV regularly since I have 2 child seats in the back along with 3 passengers. My old car (GS300) was too cramped with 2 child seats in it.

Murpheeee

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
I recently bought an '00 Jeep Cherokee - gets around 16 mpg

I must admit that I would prefer to have a more economical car - hence our other car is a VW Golf TDI - 50 mpg

The Jeep purchase was determined by the amount of snow we get here in Western New York.....so far over 60" this winter. I feel much safer driving around (or having my wife drive around) in a 4WD Jeep in bad weather than in a car.....of course 4WD does not help you stop any quicker ;)