SUS/W2K/IIS prob..help!

Grasshopper666

May 14, 2004
I am trying to install Microsoft SUS (Software Update Services) on one of my Windows 2000 Server DC's, running IE 6.x, SP4 and latest critical patches.

I installed IIS, verified the default web site works, and then I installed SUS. After it's done I'm told to go to http://MACHINENAME/SUSAdmin where MACHINENAME is the name of the DC I am installing on. I attempt to go to that address and get an error as if the site is not there. Which is weird because WINS & DNS is running and I can ping the machine from itself or anywhere else just fine.

Then, if I instead go to the IP of the server http://192.168.0.10/SUSAdmin I am prompted for a username/pass and I type in the domain administrator account. At which time I should be presented with the SUS Web interface but instead I get only a blank web page, and the browser says it's done. I went to View - Source and this is what I see:

<html>
<head>
<title>Microsoft Software Update Services</title>
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*">
<frame name="corpwu" src="/autoupdate/administration/default.asp" />
</frameset>
</html>

SUS appears to be installed but is not running properly.

If I browse c:\inetpub\wwwroot\SUSAdmin, the only file in the directory is a 1kb file called default.asp. There are no other html files, or any kinds of files.

Can anyone tell me what's going on ? This is the 2nd time I've installed SUS to no avail. I've also tried uninstalling IIS, rebooting, and reinstalling, and then re-installing SUS.

Thanks for any help.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
The susadmin directory should only have a single default.asp file and it should be less than 1k so that all sounds right.

I have a guess as to what's going on but you'll have to do some investigation to be sure. My guess is that asp is not processing correctly, try creating a test asp page (right in the webroot would be fine) and see if the asp page works correctly.

-Erik

Grasshopper666

May 14, 2004
Hmm I am not familiar with the .asp language.. I can do minor html stuff tho, is there an example .asp file somewhere I might put in the directory? Are there any IIS components required by asp's in order to process?

So far this week I have reinstalled SP4, rebooted, uninstalled IIS &amp; SUS, rebooted, reinstalled IIS (no NNTP/SMTP/FTP services) and reinstalled SUS.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
file test.asp:
--------------------------
<html>
<body>
<%
Response.Write("Hello World!")
%>
</body>
</html>
-------------

Grasshopper666

May 14, 2004
Hi Spyordie007,

The test .asp seems to work, it displays hello world.

Is this path wrong?

Using relative pathing wouldn't that indicate it's trying to contact a file with the path:

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\susadmin\autoupdate\administration\default.asp ?

There is no such directory structure in the inetpub\wwwroot\susadmin folder.

However, there is a c:\inetpub\wwwroot\autoupdate ... folder

Perhaps I should edit default.ASP and add two dots preceeding autoupdate so it looks like this?

<frame name="corpwu" src="../autoupdate/administration/default.asp" />

Edit: I tried it, it didn't work. Still displays a blank page after I enter the username/pass, even after clearing cache/cookies.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001

Using relative pathing wouldn't that indicate it's trying to contact a file with the path:

/autoupdate/... isn't a relative path. A slash at the beginning of the path is an absolute reference to the root of the web directory. In this case, /autoupdate == c:\inetpub\wwwroot\autoupdate.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Under directory security in IIS admin, do you have anonymous access enabled (I'm not sure if this is supposed to be enabled for SUS)?

If not, make sure that your domain user has the right permissions on c:\inetpub\wwwroot\autoupdate.

Grasshopper666

May 14, 2004
Hi Chad,

I checked and anonymous access is enabled.

The administrators group has full access to the entire wwwroot, files, and subfolders. To be safe, I manually added the administrator account. Still no dice.

Also posted on the MS SUS discussion board, but nobody there has replied in 3 days so I guess they don't know.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help btw