Survey on Asymmetric Multicores (e.g. big.LITTLE)

sparsh

Jun 6, 2015
Modern computing systems have become highly diverse in terms of their workloads, usage pattern, scale and optimization objective. Hence, even a highly-optimized “monolithic core” cannot simultaneously meet such diverse and often conflicting requirements. To address this challenge, asymmetric multicore processors have been proposed which feature cores of different types (e.g. big and LITTLE) in the same processor. Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, Samsung Exynos 5 Octa and Nvidia Tegra X1 are some examples of asymmetric multicores.

My survey, accepted in ACM Computing Surveys 2015, reviews nearly 125 papers on static and re-configurable asymmetric multicore processors.

A Survey Of Techniques for Architecting and Managing Asymmetric Multicore Processors

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Hence, even a highly-optimized “monolithic core” cannot simultaneously meet such diverse and often conflicting requirements.

Yeah well I'd rather use one core of my G3258 than a handful of octo core smartphones. Those things are worthless. At least apple knows how to make a mobile core.