Survey: "Freshmen more political ? and more conservative"

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
"the survey shows, students' political views also have shifted to the right. Liberals still outnumber conservatives, but just barely: 24% say they hold liberal political views; 21% call themselves conservatives."

"The 2003 results are based on written responses from 276,449 students at 413 four-year colleges"

USA Today

just a few more years.....and it won't be so lonely on P&N

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Not surprising since most of the major media are owned by Daddy Warbucks types who feed non-stop propaganda to children who have not been trained to think for themselves.

Most Americans want their news chopped up in little pieces, pre-digested, and spoon fed to them with something sweet. Preferably a Sharon Stone clone with carelessly crossed legs. :)

-RObert

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Or, more kids are starting to realize the propaganda that has been served to them for years by the liberal press.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Or, more kids are starting to realize the propaganda that has been served to them for years by the liberal press.
Or they have started to realize that the liberals will no longer allow support in the lifestyle that they desire. Share the wealth that you work for.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
IMO, it's more of a problem with freshmen not really understanding the true meanings of liberalism and conservatism. They find one or two issues they agree on and then label themselves as such.
That's just my take based on personal experiences. (Goddamn, Freshman are stupid.. :p)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Sahakiel(Goddamn, Freshman are stupid.. :p)

Do they get any smarter after 4 years? (remember for at least 3 of those years, they are spoon fed others opinions) :disgust:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You got this mantra from the liberal press. You have never seen liberal press you dumbcaugh tape recording.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Admittedly, I was still an arch conservative as a Freshman and didn't become a real campus radical until my Junior year. Although my cohorts didn't appreciate my suggestion of Jesse Helms as a speaker for Human Rights Week.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Nope I was busy with the Intervarsity girls as a Freshman . . . but well . . . the more center-left girls were a lot more abundant and attractive in Chapel Hill. Of course, they also had better personalities.:D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Liberal depends on a function and healthy right-feminine side of the brain. No man is a man who isn't half woman.

Hehe, I'm typing this in my apron between sinks fulls of dishes. I got my best shirt on.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Heartsurgeon:

That's pretty funny actually, because I was also very conservative as a young man. And it was a woman who turned me around as well. A general's daughter as a matter of fact. She was a handful. :) Uh, in more ways than one. :) I need to look that girl up on the internet. :) :)

-Robert

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Sahakiel
IMO, it's more of a problem with freshmen not really understanding the true meanings of liberalism and conservatism. They find one or two issues they agree on and then label themselves as such.
agreed.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

You got this mantra from the liberal press. You have never seen liberal press you dumbcaugh tape recording.

You are either blind or stupid. Turn on the TV, read a newspaper, or go onto a college campus and chances are it is from a liberal point of view.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
College has definitely made me more liberal
You are being brainwashed by your liberal professors and those evil lecherous women on campus. Those harpies are determined to make you soft in the head so they can steal your position in law, med, business school. You need to find a good Christian woman (since Christian women are conservative and have better morals). Leave the heathens on CNN, ESPN and MTV, you only need three channels CBN (spirtuality and news), FOXNews (entertainment and news), and CNBC (finances and news).

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

You are either blind or stupid. Turn on the TV, read a newspaper, or go onto a college campus and chances are it is from a liberal point of view.

Yes there is a trend in conservative TV and Radio, now. It was NOT like this until the late '90s. Liberals still rule the newspaper world. It was THE LIBERAL PRESS untill the late 1990s. Now you have Fox News, it is conservative, it has the highest ratings. News is all about one thing and thats $$$. So all the other networks toned down their liberal viewpoints that made it to air.

Also there is a conservative trend in TV news and Radio, because their is a conservative trend across the country.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
College has definitely made me more liberal
You are being brainwashed by your liberal professors and those evil lecherous women on campus. Those harpies are determined to make you soft in the head so they can steal your position in law, med, business school. You need to find a good Christian woman (since Christian women are conservative and have better morals). Leave the heathens on CNN, ESPN and MTV, you only need three channels CBN (spirtuality and news), FOXNews (entertainment and news), and CNBC (finances and news).

Oh yes Dennis Miller is a rabid conservative because he supports our president. Or hes a neocon. Get a clue, Miller is a liberal conservative. Unlike Franken who is a leftist.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
It [college] made me more liberal too Then "real life" made me more conservative...
Amen brother.....I once worked on Humbert Humphrey's Presidential campaign (YIKES, i WORKED to get a Democrat elected, WTF was i thinking...I'll wager a bet that almost none of our liberal posters here has ever worked on campaign)..then i started paying taxes, and dealing with the real world....the problem that college kids have is that they believe the world is full of people just like them, with the same ethics, morals, work ethic, sense of fair play, intelligence, goal oriented, etc...well the facts are that only 20-25% of the american public has a college degree, and most people do not think like you.
you only need three channels CBN (spirtuality and news), FOXNews (entertainment and news), and CNBC (finances and news).
BAH, don't need CBN or CNBC, just Fox and Bloomberg Financial Network (keep your work and play separate).
That's pretty funny actually, because I was also very conservative as a young man. And it was a woman who turned me around as well
Women control everything. Understand that, and they will let you live longer..reminds me of the joke..why do married men generally die before women?...because they want to.
For those of you who don't find that hysterical, you just haven't lived long enough to know any better...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
link

Right young things

A youthquake that is helping George Bush

IN WOODY ALLEN's musical comedy, ?Everyone Says I Love You?, one young character suffers from a terrible affliction: compulsive conservatism. He annoys his decent (ie, liberal) parents by calling for smaller government or extolling the latest article in the National Review. Everything ends happily, however: the parents discover he is suffering from a brain tumour. The tumour is removed, and with it goes the youth's annoying politics.

These days more and more young Americans are suffering from a similar affliction. This week Washington saw two jamborees for young right-wingers: a National Conservative Student Conference, put on by the Young America's Foundation, and a National Convention of College Republicans. Hundreds of young conservatives flooded into the capital to listen to their heroes (including a wrestler called Warrior), to learn how to identify liberal textbook bias, to visit the White House, and to watch Karl Rove receiving the Lee Atwater Leadership Award.

George Bush's presidency is producing a tremor similar to the Reagan youthquake of the 1980s. The College Republicans have tripled their membership in the past three years, increasing their chapters from 409 to 1,148 and recruiting 22,000 new members in 2002 alone. They now have more than 100,000 members, many in the most unlikely places. At the University of California at Berkeley, there are now 500 Young Republicans and a conservative newspaper, the California Patriot. At a recent convention of Californian Young Republicans in Berkeley (entitled ?behind enemy lines?), several hundred enthusiasts marked the 34th anniversary of the People's Park riots by descending on the park to mount a noisy display of patriotism (awakening the local homeless from their mid-day naps in the process). They waved flags, chanted ?USA? and sang the ?Star-Spangled Banner?. ?Like the marines rolled into Baghdad a few weeks ago to liberate the city, we rolled into Berkeley ready for a fight,? as one put it.

All this coincides with a general rightward shift in young people's views. Bob Dole lost the 18-29-year-old vote by 19 percentage points; Mr Bush lost by two points. Students have been sceptical about bossy governments for years. Now they are increasingly sceptical about the ?Ab Fab? values of the 1960s generation?particularly in regard to casual sex and abortion?and increasingly enthusiastic about America's use of military might. A poll by Harvard University's Institute of Politics in April found that three-quarters of students trusted the armed forces ?to do the right thing? either all or most of the time. In 1975 the figure was about 20%. Another poll, by the University of California at Los Angeles, found that 45% of freshmen supported an increase in military spending, more than double the figure in 1992.

Why this upturn in conservatism? One reason is a healthy desire to tweak the noses of people in authority. America's academic establishment is so solidly liberal that Naderites easily outnumber Republicans. The leftists who seized control of the universities in the 1960s have imposed their world-view on the young with awesome enthusiasm, bowdlerising text-books of anything that might be considered sexist or racist, imposing draconian speech codes and inventing pseudo-subjects such as women's studies. What better way of revolting against such illiberal claptrap than emulating the character in Mr Allen's film?

Another reason is September 11th, which not only produced a surge of patriotism but also widened the gap between students (who tended to see the attacks as examples of evil) and Vietnam-era professors (who agonised about what America must have done wrong). The Harvard Institute of Politics found two-thirds of students supporting the war in Iraq. Pro-war groups sprouted in such liberal campuses as Brandeis, Yale and Columbia. At Amherst College many students were noisily furious when 40 teachers paraded into the dining hall with anti-war slogans.

A third reason is that American conservatives devote a lot of energy to recruiting the young. The Intercollegiate Studies Institute, the Young America's Foundation and the Federalist Society are out organising. Conservative foundations finance conservative newspapers and provide scholarships for right young things (one conservative impresario compares funding young conservatives to building a wine collection). The Heritage Foundation provides internships for 100 students a year.

And they matter

In 2000, the Republicans discovered that they could no longer rely on their air superiority (ie, paid television advertising) to win elections. They needed troops on the ground. In 2002 College Republicans (together with gun activists) played the same sort of role in the party that trade unionists and blacks have long played in the Democratic Party. They boosted turn-out and harassed opponents. Norm Coleman, the new senator for Minnesota, attributes his victory to College Republicans.

These footsoldiers also represent the future of the Republican Party. One reason why Britain's Conservative Party is in such a sorry state is that the average age of its members is almost 70. The young conservatives who crowded into Washington this week suggest a sprightlier future for the Republicans. In the 1970s and 1980s the likes of Karl Rove and Grover Norquist turned the College Republicans from a social club into a well-oiled political machine. Their successors continue to fine-tune the machine: Scott Stewart, the group's chairman since 1999, has increased its operating budget from $250,000 a year to $1.4m.

These young people are changing the party as well as revitalising it. They are middle-class and hard-working?a long way from the comfortable preppies who used to typify young Republicanism (such as the young Mr Bush). And they usually take a tolerant approach to subjects such as race and homosexual marriage. Whatever the short-term prospects of the Republican Party, its long-term future looks good.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I find it hilarious that college kids think they're being rebellious by being conservative. Or a 'healthy desire to tweak the noses of people in authority' as Dari's article described it. I can only imagine being conservative as the antithesis of rebellion. Oh yeah, what are you rebelling against? What've you got? Pre-marital sex, drug use, reluctance to use our military, loose immigration policies and excessive government spending? All of that, baby.

Oh wow, what a bunch of rebels.
rolleye.gif