Survey: 20 percent of woman cadets victims of sexual assault

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
CNN put up an article earlier today explaining the results of a recent poll taken of female Air Force cadets and sexual assult, and the results have me a little(ok, a lot) surprised. 20% of the 579 cadets surveyed reported they were victims of sexual assult(note that this is different, but inclusive of rape), and 7.4%(43 cadets) were victims of rape or attempted rape.:Q Would someone mind telling me what the heck's going on here? This seems a little extreme, even for something as male dominated as the armed forces.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Simple. Horny 18-21 year olds who are ill supervised and given too much freedom to condut themselves in a mature and responsible manner.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Simple. Horny 18-21 year olds who are ill supervised and given too much freedom to condut themselves in a mature and responsible manner.

I disagree, this is George W. Bush's fault. Bush is the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Corn

I disagree, this is George W. Bush's fault. Bush is the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, punk? Prove it! :p ;)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Seriously, am I the only one worried about what's going on in our armed forces academies?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Respondents hmmm. I don't think this was a very scientific survey. What was the confidence level etc.
I just don't buy that high a percentage. It may have been a mass mailing to all former cadets (female) and those who returned (responded) are part of the survey and those who put the mailing in the trash were not part of it.. results of a proper survey may not be too accurate either due to the nature of the issue. I'd need to see the underlying methods and like that before I bought off on the survey.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Respondents hmmm. I don't think this was a very scientific survey. What was the confidence level etc.
I just don't buy that high a percentage. It may have been a mass mailing to all former cadets (female) and those who returned (responded) are part of the survey and those who put the mailing in the trash were not part of it.. results of a proper survey may not be too accurate either due to the nature of the issue. I'd need to see the underlying methods and like that before I bought off on the survey.

Agreed.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

i think it's obvious that this is current cadets, because former cadets can't be called cadets anymore.

that's 115 cadets... 18% of the cadets are female, 4000 total, so that's 720. that's a huge percentage, regardless of whether or not people who chose not to respond were counted in the 579 responses. the only way this result could be inaccurate is if a.) people lied, or b.) sexual assault had some weird ass definition for the survey

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah, but how mabny of them enjoyed uit?
Look, they dind't file charges. Excuse me, you broads, a guy hitting on you is not sexual assault. A guy grabbing yuour butt is not sexual assault. I would like to hear your definition of sexyal assaalt.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Look, they dind't file charges. Excuse me, you broads, a guy hitting on you is not sexual assault. A guy grabbing yuour butt is not sexual assault. I would like to hear your definition of sexyal assaalt.

Supertool? Just how drunk are you? Geeze. :)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: SuperTool

Supertool? Just how drunk are you? Geeze. :)
Still good to drive ;)
too bad there is nowhere worth driving.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: gopunk

i think it's obvious that this is current cadets, because former cadets can't be called cadets anymore.

that's 115 cadets... 18% of the cadets are female, 4000 total, so that's 720. that's a huge percentage, regardless of whether or not people who chose not to respond were counted in the 579 responses. the only way this result could be inaccurate is if a.) people lied, or b.) sexual assault had some weird ass definition for the survey

Of 579 female Air Force Academy cadets surveyed by the Department of Defense, 43 -- or 7.4 percent -- reported they were victims of rape or attempted rape, according to a draft report of the survey results.

Once a cadet always a cadet. I remain unsure of the who and of the 579 surveyed of how many?
"while you were a cadet" etc.
"Seven 20- and 21-year-old cadets were ticketed by police for drinking alcohol in an off-campus hotel room early Saturday with two young women, aged 16 and 18."

were they Boy cadets or girl cadets or is this to be self evident that only boy cadets would do this?

Why only 579 surveyed? I like numbers (audit stuff, ya know) when all the details are not there I am not used to accepting the results. It's a genetic kind of thing for the audit mentality.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Insane3D
I'll have a malt (chocolate, please)

Extra malt or regular? Chocolate or Mocha? ;)

Just the regular Baskin and Robbins Chocolate and make it a double.. thank you.

"However, 7NEWS' Investigative Reporter John Ferrugia says that surveys conducted by the Air Force Academy from 1996 to 2002 consistently showed the same numbers as this recent scientific survey, but they were discounted by Air Force officials. They told Congress that those "social climate surveys" were not valid and had argued that none of the top leadership at the academy should be held accountable for the sexual assault problem because the numbers on the surveys weren't accurate"

At the bottom is a link to a list of articles that stretches back a ways..

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Stuff like this has been said for a long time, because people have had a anti-military attitude for a long time.

A early example is Tail Hook. Find a bunch of drunk airmen blowing off steam, send it a bunch of attrative females to go in a flirt with then and write down every time somebody gets a breast groped and then sue them.

Hell if I know what the actual rates are, but I am not going to trust any story coming out of CNN about the military any more then I am going to trust a story about Linux coming from Microsoft.com

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
I'm not suprised, what is the percentage of women being the victims of sexual assault at avg. colleges? I imagine being pretty high too.

Even thou some of them freshman chicks are naive and put themselves in that position, that doesn't excuse the scums who would take advantage of them without remorse.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
females shouldnt be in the military!

oh here we go. :p

(i actually believe females shouldnt be in the military. kinda a chivalry, honor type deal. hard to explain)

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001

i hope it was a poorly run survey.

DML1001

Apr 6, 2003
I have read similar studies conducted by 'womens studies groups' that have concluded that 1/4 of ALL females are sexually abused before the age of 21.

Most of these studies are bullshit. Attempted rape can be defined as anything, and womens groups have extended sexual abuse to include glaring and calling girls chicks in some areas.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DML1001
I have read similar studies conducted by 'womens studies groups' that have concluded that 1/4 of ALL females are sexually abused before the age of 21.

Most of these studies are bullshit. Attempted rape can be defined as anything, and womens groups have extended sexual abuse to include glaring and calling girls chicks in some areas.

i think it is true that a lot of time, definition of rape can be manipulted. inga muscio asserts that 1 in every 8 hollywood movies has a rape scene. by her definition, this is true (she is basically suggesting that a male-dominated, somewhat forceful sex scene is, in a very subtle way, the positive reinforcement of rape beavior). now, those numbers may be true but it can also be true that i could watch 50 movies and none of them have a rape scene.
at the same time, i have met a lot of women that have been sexually assaulted. while it is hard to say wether or not the definition is being stretched too far...i can say that those numbers, even if exaggerated slightly are unacceptable to me.
i have read a number of studies, articles and books on the subject but have not run across anything that states that "glaring" or "calling girls chicks" is considered sexual abuse. perhaps gender-biased behavior/neglect from the patriarchy but not quite abuse. i am, however, interested in the womens groups who would publish such things.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
none of this suprises me, guys are too stupid to control themselves. and sexual assault is just part of frat/military boy behavior. i say court martial them all for acting in a manner unbecoming an officier.