Surround Sound Receiver --> SS Headphones

Kythlyn

May 11, 2005
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading and replying.

I have an Sony STR-K670P that I've been using for over 15 years now. As a gamer, I've been getting by using the single S/PDIF input on it for surround sound, but my old receiver has finally met its match... the Nintendo Switch. Though I've tried a couple HDMI --> HDMI + Audio adapters, I haven't been able to get more than 2 channels out of the Switch and into the old Sony, so it's time, finally, to upgrade to a receiver that actually has HDMI inputs.

Money is a concern, so I would like to continue using the 5.1 speakers that came with the old receiver, if possible. My new receiver should be able to utilize those old speakers, and I'm also hoping it will have some kind of output that could connect to surround sound headphones (currently own a logitech G35, but that's a USB set, so I understand if I have to buy a different type of surround sound headphones to connect to the new receiver). Finally, the new receiver should have at least 6 HDMI inputs. Any recommendations for a guy on a strict budget?

Thanks again!

Kythlyn

May 11, 2005
Thanks for the reply, but I'm really having trouble picking one. It's easy enough to find one that I can hook the speakers up to, and with enough HDMI inputs... the hard part is figuring out a surround sound solution that utilizes headphones that can work with the receiver. I'd appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
your going to need headphones that have thier own surround source. as i dont think any avr will output that via the headphone jack

i dont even recall if many have an optical or digital audio out

Kythlyn

May 11, 2005
Something like this would work well: Sony STR-DH550 $148
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH550-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00J30GXW2

If you want surround sound headphones just use what you have with your pc. The receiver doesn't need to do this duty.

Thanks! I'll look into that receiver. I wonder if there's a similar one with a couple more HDMI inputs...

As for the headset, I'm not sure how I could use my G35 headset with other devices. It's a USB set designed to be used with PC drivers, so unless the receiver has a USB port designed for this sort of thing, I'll need another solution to be able to have surround sound headphones working with a variety of other gaming consoles.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
You don't use it with other devices. The G35 should be used with your PC. A receiver is not going to output surround sound to headphones unless it is through toslink or some other method and I do not know of any headphone that will work this way for surround sound. What other devices do you need a surround sound headphone for? Any device like a PS4 or Xbox One will output to your receiver and then to your 5.1 speakers. If you want 5.1 or greater surround sound in a headphone to work with a game console then you would use a USB gaming headphone that plugs directly into the console.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here.

As for HDMI inputs...4 isn't enough? Well maybe provide your budget because you stated you want to save money...4 inputs is fairly common on a low end receiver.

Well the Sony STR-DN1070 has 6. It is the cheapest model Sony has to offer 6. You are going to pay double or more what the other model costs though.

4 HDMI inputs is common on low end receivers. Once you get into 6+ it is usually on more expensive receivers. I suggest you go used and start browsing Ebay.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You would need a get a mid to high end receiver these days to get 6 channel pre-outs, although many entry level and midfi receivers in the mid 2002s had 6 channel pre-outs, it would be hard to find a cheap receiver like that which is post-HDMI 1.3. Assuming you had such a receiver, you would need a surround sound headset that can accept 3 x minijack output, all you would need is 3 x minijack to RCA adapters to run surround sound out of your receivers.

I don't think you're gonna find a brand new receiver under $700 these days with 6-channel pre-outs though. If you are up to buying used your options open up quite a bit.

Kythlyn

May 11, 2005
I guess I'll just have to buy a separate surround sound headset that's compatible with as many of my consoles as possible... it just seems like it would make sense for a receiver to be able to output to a surround sound headphone... guess we're just not there yet. I'll probably pick up that cheap Sony STR-DH550. That'll be enough to plug in a Switch, Wii U, PS3 and PS4 (glad I'm skipping Xbox this gen), though it does seem like a shame that there won't be a spare slot or two for other devices.

In any case, thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate it. :)

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
headphones are for stereo
they cannot truly replicate surround sound.

so avr makers dont bother with them.

you can spend a few hundred and get a surround sound headphone set that hooks to the toslink of your avr.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
You can also buy a HDMI hub that will allow you to run multiple HDMI sources into your receiver. My Receiver has 8 HDMI inputs. But I also have a HDMI Hub that does an additional 7 HDMI inputs. As long as the hub has the latest HDMI specs and HDCP spec then it will all work together.

Kythlyn

May 11, 2005
headphones are for stereo
they cannot truly replicate surround sound.

so avr makers dont bother with them.

you can spend a few hundred and get a surround sound headphone set that hooks to the toslink of your avr.

I understand what you mean, but my 7.1 G35 headset does a really great job of simulating it, even with two drivers. I was hoping to find a receiver that could do the same thing with connected headphones.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Not going to happen I'm afraid. It is not a feature anyone cares about. Except you that is.