Surprise Witcher Announcement on monday?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Text

The Witcher developers CD Projekt RED sent over a press release announcing that on Monday the team will make a special announcement that they claim will be "a pretty big surprise." Since being released last October for the PC the fantasy RPG has gotten a ton of critical acclaim and sales of over 600,000 copies worldwide, according to the press release.

Part of me wants an expansion, part whats a true sequel, and part hopes there's enough time for me to finish MotB and MoW before its released.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Well I'm ready for a new adventure with Geralt so bring it on!

I'm thinking it the release of the game engine thing so people can create stuff. Maybe they'll release that along with a new small quest. Maybe a 360 port announcement though I don't think all the pc gamers who bought the game wants to hear that!

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I thought a while ago it was announced that it had sold over a million copies worldwide? I know numbers can change, but a while ago saying almost 2x as much as todays news?

I've not played it so can't comment on the OP, just curious about that figure.

Kind of like Crysis. It went from lackluster sales to over a million in a very short period of time... I never understood that one either.

Nonetheless, I hope both games sold over a million. It's nice to see a good RPG, PC-only game like The Witcher getting good reviews and selling well, especially in the US

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Text

The Witcher developers CD Projekt RED sent over a press release announcing that on Monday the team will make a special announcement that they claim will be "a pretty big surprise." Since being released last October for the PC the fantasy RPG has gotten a ton of critical acclaim and sales of over 600,000 copies worldwide, according to the press release.

Part of me wants an expansion, part whats a true sequel, and part hopes there's enough time for me to finish MotB and MoW before its released.

After i got CrossFire working [really really well] i got quite a few new games :p... i still have plenty of time to finish then *ALL* before the expansion is released

MotB is at CC for $10 ... i just missed it but got Perseus Mandate for $10 and Jericho for $8 .. and i picked up Dungeon Seige II/Xpack and Jade Empire for $19 shipped from GoGamer last week ... good time to hunt the bargain bin

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Wow Jericho is dirt cheap, too bad it isn't a worthy succesor to Undying, otherwise I might give it a try.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
Wow Jericho is dirt cheap, too bad it isn't a worthy succesor to Undying, otherwise I might give it a try.

Don't bother with Jericho,the game was an insult and not even 5% as good as Undying.

As to The Witcher,they have been strong rumours since last year about a sequal/expansion,I would not be surprised,the game is excellent game despite the bugs it has.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I got this info from another site and someone translated this from the devs announcement (Polish).

"The Witcher: Extended Edition" announced:

CD-Project announced an extended edition of The Witcher, which will feature two mods called "The Witcher Adventures". One of them is created by a group of modders who create professional mods for Neverwinter Nights.

But that's not all. They'll also include a mod editor (Dijnni Toolset) and two CDs - one with the music inspired by the video game, and the second one with extra video materials.

The game was also upgraded - the loading times were shortened, and a few thousand lines of dialog were retranslated in English (so that probably means the extended edition will be released worldwide).

The mods created with the editor will be available online, for free. Furthermore, users who registered their copies of the game will be able to download all the extra content for free.

The extended edition will be available on the 15th May for 99 PLN (regular price). No info on the availability outside of Poland.

Mod #1: The Price of Neutrality

3 quests: 1 main, 2 side quests

2 new NPC models, new tent model, 2 new erotic cards, 2 new flashbacks

Mod #2: Side Effect

Jaskier got in trouble and ended up in jail. It's up to Geralt to get the money to pay for his freedom.

Simple mod that is talking and quest-solving oriented. No new GFX assets. You can win the quest using various paths.

Here is the original Polish announcement if anyone here speaks Polish (I don't so I hope the above translation is correct).

CD Projekt announcement regarding new Witcher content.

Promo by dev team video for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition <-- In Polish with no game footage but someone was nice enough to translate.

mmm..its either Enhanced or Extended but either way we are getting new quests to play around with.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: Piuc2020

Don't bother with Jericho,the game was an insult and not even 5% as good as Undying.

As to The Witcher,they have been strong rumours since last year about a sequal/expansion,I would not be surprised,the game is excellent game despite the bugs it has.

for $8 i consider it a very [very] pretty tech demo ... :p

... as to the Witcher, i am very very upset with it ... i probably started it at least 20 times [of course there are almost no choices in the beginning] in my benchmarking Vista 32 vs. Vista 64 [no difference - if you are a Vista 64 guy, get Hellgate: London - it runs awesome on Vista 64 - much better than on Vista32] ... anyway ... i was so confused and so lost, i just put it away :(

but ... i have 11 other new games to play ... so as soon as it is fully 'upgraded', i'm all over it ... i'm glad to see it is doing very well.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Shoot, some of the stuff thats coming with the Enhanced edition may entice me to purchase it again rather than just get the downloadable content update.

Edit - See page 2 of the Witcher thread for me question on censorship. Seems it hasn't been decided yet. Hopefully, that will be favorable.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Shoot, some of the stuff thats coming with the Enhanced edition may entice me to purchase it again rather than just get the downloadable content update.

Edit - See page 2 of the Witcher thread for me question on censorship. Seems it hasn't been decided yet. Hopefully, that will be favorable.

No need to buy the special edition, as Raystorm linked Furthermore, users who registered their copies of the game will be able to download all the extra content for free. Just register your game and you should be fine. I actually received the Djinni announcement e-mail last week and was hoping this was something different. Better than nothing I suppose.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow

No need to buy the special edition, as Raystorm linked Furthermore, users who registered their copies of the game will be able to download all the extra content for free. Just register your game and you should be fine. I actually received the Djinni announcement e-mail last week and was hoping this was something different. Better than nothing I suppose.

I'd rather have some of the manuals and short stories in physical form rather than PDF. :p

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

So in other words, they actually finished the fucking game and now they're releasing it as a "special edition" when it should've launched like this in the first place?

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ja1484

So in other words, they actually finished the fucking game and now they're releasing it as a "special edition" when it should've launched like this in the first place?

Most of the time you really can't blame the engineer/developer for that.

At least they had the decency to go back and do this - they are obviously very proud of their product and want to make it better. The only two things that bothered me about it in my play-through were the lack of closure regarding Geralt's love life and the loading times.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman

At least they had the decency to go back and do this - they are obviously very proud of their product and want to make it better. The only two things that bothered me about it in my play-through were the lack of closure regarding Geralt's love life and the loading times.

it is pretty clear that they are not a "big time" studio ... or they wouldn't bother :p

STALKER did much the same thing .... they released it and then they modded and improved it ... i guess every studio is under pressure to get the product out the door. They don't get paid until they do. And if they run over-budget - like STALKER apparently did - they need to cut some corners.

At no time were they guaranteed "commercial success". When it came - in both cases to STALKER and the Witcher - the devs had enough integrity [to say nothing of time and money - now] to revisit their project and redo it somewhat in line with their orignial expanded vision.

What this means is that we can also expect X-packs from both STALKER {Clear SKY} and the Witcher {tba}
:thumbsup:

and the 'timing' of this announcement couldn't be better. i am only in Chapter 2 after having started over-and-over due to my benchmarking schedule - it ran fine and the load times are reasonable but i will just put it away until its improvements are released ... i am not worried - i 'only' have 11 new games to play.
:Q

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Nevermind that its pretty much considered the best SP RPG released since Torment . . . :roll:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

Nevermind that its pretty much considered the best SP RPG released since Torment . . . :roll:

You actually take ja1484 seriously?

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Eh...bummer it's only a SE.

However - it looks like the SE will be downloadable:

"All expanded content would be downloadable for people with registered game."

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: skace
Nice, free content :). I still hope they have an expansion under way.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't an expansion in the pipeline somewhere, probably a sequel too, though that'd be years off. It took something like 5 years to develop The Witcher. Granted, if they reused a large part of their current Aurora engine modifications, they could cut down development time drastically. Still, people expect some visual improvements on sequels.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: skace
Nice, free content :). I still hope they have an expansion under way.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't an expansion in the pipeline somewhere, probably a sequel too, though that'd be years off. It took something like 5 years to develop The Witcher. Granted, if they reused a large part of their current Aurora engine modifications, they could cut down development time drastically. Still, people expect some visual improvements on sequels.

i doubt it ... a full expansion generally takes a year - or two - at most. There is SO MUCH 'left over" ... ideas, half-developed NPCs, storyline, etc. .. that a sequel just uses the *same engine* and a lot less time needs be spent 'tweaking' or developing it.
--Think of a new Rock band that puts out a First Big Hit .. the quick follow-up album usually sounds like a "part 2" :p

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman

Oh I'm not assigning blame to anyone. This situation is just getting very tiresome.

I fail to see what that has to do with this situation. It's a great game - and now, they are apparently releasing a *greater* version, a few months later.

In all likelihood, HoustonMan is right - it was publisher pressure, because God knows Atari needs money like a man in the desert needs water...to prevent immediate death.

Originally posted by: TehMac

You actually take ja1484 seriously?

Awwww....did a wittle someone get awl wiled up about a sepewate twead? It's ok wittle fella, it's alllll gonna be ok...