Supreme Commander

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I can't get into it. It seems like it takes forever to get anything done, I spent ages building up this massive army and it smashes helplessly against massively overpowered defenses. Though the enemy's massive Army also smashes helplessly into my overpowered defenses, it's still just not very fun. I've made it to the 3rd mission in the campaign and I'm really not feeling it at all.
I also hate the resource "flow" system, it's too complicated. Just let me BUY things like a normal RTS!

I have Supreme Commander 2 here, as well as the Dawn of War series with all the expansions. Are either of them any better?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Eh you might like supcom 2 more in that case, its less complex and you just "buy" things. Its nice initially but after that feelings gone you realise there isnt much setting it apart from other RTS's.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
supreme commander should be played against humans...the campaign is too scripted and boring. do you have original or FA? i'd be up for a game but i'll have to reinstall original if that's what you have.

if all that is happening is massive armies into overpowered defenses then there are other avenues you can take (experimentals, air, artillery, transports) to break the stalemate. really you should never reach that point vs. AI though.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I can't get into it. It seems like it takes forever to get anything done, I spent ages building up this massive army and it smashes helplessly against massively overpowered defenses. Though the enemy's massive Army also smashes helplessly into my overpowered defenses, it's still just not very fun. I've made it to the 3rd mission in the campaign and I'm really not feeling it at all.
I also hate the resource "flow" system, it's too complicated. Just let me BUY things like a normal RTS!

I have Supreme Commander 2 here, as well as the Dawn of War series with all the expansions. Are either of them any better?

Like most rts games, the campaign sucks. In all the games you mentioned above.
And sup com's resource system was really its one defining feature. Well that and horribly unbalanced units that somehow worked out in the end. It was more of a "strategy counters strategy" game than a "unit beats unit game".

Dawn of War is more like a traditional RTS. It's a nice evolution, it has 3 major changes from prior RTS games.
1. No resource mining, you capture points for resources, so map control is related to resources. Some game modes include victory points that can be captured for a certain length of time (total) to achieve victory. (helps break up stalemates, really useful for ffas)
2. A hard counter system (not actually new, but it's less popular than soft counters). Some things just flat out beat other things. The right unit in the right situation could easily kill at a 10 to 1 ratio.
3. A cover system. Not made big use of in Dawn of War 1 (usually just positioned to make defending your home base easier), but Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 really elevate it. Basically, unit placement and attack vectors now matter.

Dawn of War one is a pretty typical RTS play wise though. Company of Heroes mixes things up a bit, and I like it even more for it. Dawn of War 2 mixes things up a little too much imo, and gets too far away from normal rts games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I thought this was bumped from two years ago.

These are all issues which were brought up and resolved a long time ago. Now that the search function works OP shoulda checked out one of the multitude of old threads.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I assume we're talking about the original, not Forged Alliance? Never played the original, but in FA "Turtle like hell, then send in army of experimentals while playing blue oyster cult's Godzilla" worked like a charm for me.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I assume we're talking about the original, not Forged Alliance? Never played the original, but in FA "Turtle like hell, then send in army of experimentals while playing blue oyster cult's Godzilla" worked like a charm for me.

bwahahahaha. i'm going to go do that now.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
An alternative to a ground based stalemate is to build a few of those ridiculously powerful cannons and have it just destroy.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Have you patched the games up? A few changes in how things are done.
Skirmish/multiplayer is better, especially with some of the AI mods like Sorian or Duncane.

Try supcom 2, its a bit more streamlined and you buy units like other rts's.