Question Supply issues with Ryzen 3400G?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In the UK at least - I'm seeing no issue with the 2200G / 3200G CPUs, but the 3400G seems to have disappeared off the shelves for a while now (in early Feb the price skyrocketed and then supply dried up). Is this issue worldwide, and is there a known reason for it?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Quick check of Amazon and Newegg in the US shows it's only available from 3rd party sellers with jacked up prices. My best guess is that AMD isn't putting any more inventory out there, trying to clear it all before releasing the Zen 2 based 4000 series desktop APUs. We haven't heard much of anything about them yet but maybe this is the first sign that they are close.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think this topic was talked about earlier as well. Looking at Geizhals for the German market, the price is at record height (the rise started at the end of January) and where 18 stores offer it, only 3 of them actually have readily available stock and a further 6 need a couple days to send it out, with the rest listing some future date or none at all. Definitely looks like availability's cut short on purpose.

Edit: For comparison 3200G's price is flat at a low level, is offered by 60 stores, at 28 in stock and further 21 available within days. 3000G is flat, offered by 40, in stock at 15, available within days at further 15.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Or we are seeing the first of computer electronics effects with the current pandemic. What Linus's video on it. Some people think short term well this will be fixed next month or places are still shipping and so on. The retail APU's are one of AMD's weakest sellers, specially in the major markets (so I don't draw the ire of I only use the 3200G for my customers doesn't come in and yell at me). So the chances of there being a lot of stock roaming around in retail shelves and retail wharehouses is rather small. So if somewhere in the supply chain there is a slow down or log jam its entirely possible these APU's are the first affected.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Or we are seeing the first of computer electronics effects with the current pandemic. What Linus's video on it. Some people think short term well this will be fixed next month or places are still shipping and so on. The retail APU's are one of AMD's weakest sellers, specially in the major markets (so I don't draw the ire of I only use the 3200G for my customers doesn't come in and yell at me). So the chances of there being a lot of stock roaming around in retail shelves and retail wharehouses is rather small. So if somewhere in the supply chain there is a slow down or log jam its entirely possible these APU's are the first affected.

Lots of stuff at Newegg are out of stock.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I said it in another thread, it is gone from LA as well, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, etc, and AMD rep for the region said that is not coming back, that they will be replaced by the end of the year with Ryzen 4000s.

Im yet to hear the same about 3200Gs so i dont think it is the virus. I just hope that AMD did not kill Vega 11 in order to make Renoir GPU competitive. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, this is a wierd issue. Maybe Anandtech can ask AMD directly about this? it is strange to kill a product so far away from its replacement.

BTW the virus IT IS causing severe problems with other stuff, like motherboards, pc cases... but none of that is so severe as dissapering into thin air (yet) and gone forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Its the "new" newegg, that really bites in every way. I only use its search engine now. Amazon for everything else.
yeah, I don't know if you know about how Newegg screwed their customers in Connecticut over with the online sales tax thing. I try to buy elsewhere if I can.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I said it in another thread, it is gone from LA as well, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, etc, and AMD rep for the region said that is not coming back, that they will be replaced by the end of the year with Ryzen 4000s.

Im yet to hear the same about 3200Gs so i dont think it is the virus. I just hope that AMD did not kill Vega 11 in order to make Renoir GPU competitive. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, this is a wierd issue. Maybe Anandtech can ask AMD directly about this? it is strange to kill a product so far away from its replacement.

BTW the virus IT IS causing severe problems with other stuff, like motherboards, pc cases... but none of that is so severe as dissapering into thin air (yet) and gone forever.

Killing something in March with no replacement till the end of the year is rather strange don't you think?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Amazon is still listing it at msrp, with a in stock date of mid April. B&H and a few others show it in stock with a minor markup. I think it's just that production has been scaled back.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's just odd that the 3200G doesn't seem to be affected. Maybe production is not scaled back, but the dies 3400Gs use are currently mainly moved into the laptop market instead right now?

Reactions: RetroZombie

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Seems to be in stock across the board with reasonable prices here in Norway. We're a pretty small market though, so it might just be that it doesn't sell out quite as quickly here.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Admittedly for the average user/customer I haven't considered the 3400G to be a particularly compelling argument (despite my desktop PC builds being aimed at approximately a 10 year lifespan), though in light of me peddling Athlon II X2's in ~2010, I'm thinking in hindsight I should have steered more people towards quads then, so I've been suggesting the 3400G to those who have the budget (with the 2200G/3200G as my default minimum recommendation).

I guess as a fallback if a customer does want the 3400G I'll suggest something like the 2600 plus a basic graphics card, which is approximately the same price as the 3400G and probably a bit better considering 6 core vs 4+4.

Last edited:

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
but the dies 3400Gs use are currently mainly moved into the laptop market instead right now?
That would make a lot of sense to do it, but then again amd doesn't care about oem's (desktop)?

The i/o die with vega inside should already been released even if somehow castrated (pcie 3.0, fewer pcie lanes, ...) vs current i/o die.
A very late release of renoir for desktop just doesn't make very sense.

Wouldn't surprise me if they delayed zen3 (desktop) and do some zen2+ refresh with that added.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
That would make a lot of sense to do it, but then again amd doesn't care about oem's (desktop)?

The i/o die with vega inside should already been released even if somehow castrated (pcie 3.0, fewer pcie lanes, ...) vs current i/o die.
A very late release of renoir for desktop just doesn't make very sense.

Wouldn't surprise me if they delayed zen3 (desktop) and do some zen2+ refresh with that added.
Renoir is monolithic, there's no I/O die with Vega. They would really struggle to fit that anyhow, there's no room for a bigger I/O die on Matisse (though a die shrink would help there, but also drive up prices a lot). A GPU chiplet could work, but AMD have explicitly said that's not happening this generation.

Also, there aren't many desktop OEMs using APUs. Some, sure, but not many, and not in high volumes. Not to mention that there's no necessarily link between retail availability and OEM availability, of course. Might just be that most chips are going to mobile, with any desktop production going straight to OEMs.

Beyond that, I agree that a very late release of Renoir for desktop doesn't make sense, though last go around the mobile APUs were announced at CES (same as now) and desktop APUs hit the market in about August, so it might still be a while. Seems like the mobile designs are reaching the market faster this time around, so I guess there's hope for the same on the desktop side too, but no guarantees of course.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
They would really struggle to fit that anyhow, there's no room for a bigger I/O die on Matisse
Very good analysis and i agree with it, just want to point out that the i/o die with vega would still be GF 14nm, they could pick raven ridge (210mm2), remove the cpu cores (-44mm2), put little less vega units just 6 to 8 would be enough (-22mm2), 'just' 146mm2 at GF 14nm.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Very good analysis and i agree with it, just want to point out that the i/o die with vega would still be GF 14nm, they could pick raven ridge (210mm2), remove the cpu cores (-44mm2), put little less vega units just 6 to 8 would be enough (-22mm2), 'just' 146mm2 at GF 14nm.
Depending on the possibility of smoothly redesigning the die with a few parts stripped out, of course. You'd also need to add in an IF link to the CPU chiplet, plus the new Zen2 memory controller (unless you really want to limit the performance of this part), and so on. Possible? Sure. But you'd be designing a new, expensive part (taping out a new chip even on 14nm costs quite a few million dollars) with very limited performance (none of the new Vega performance gains if you're building a stripped down RR on 14nm) for an extremely limited market (desktop APUs only). Doesn't make sense IMO. The point of an APU is maximum graphics performance in an iGPU, while your proposed design tacks a last-gen mid-range iGPU onto a new CPU.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Depending on the possibility of smoothly redesigning the die with a few parts stripped out, of course.
Agree with all but about vega, a mature gpu with a new cpu would not be a bad idea because the initials problems that exists in every new product would be minimal.

I expect renoir to be a huge success because of that, there's nothing that might give the initial normal problems, with chipset drivers, gpu drivers, bios, ...

That's exactly what the oem's want, new products and stuff that just works.