Superfast wireless broadband for those who can't get DSL or Cable!

mralex

Oct 26, 1999
Not only it is available in more area, it is SUPERFAST.
Two of my friends installed (one could only get IDSL, and the other switched from pacbell ADSL)
It is incredibly fast (3-4Mbps, 5 max)!!!
Static IP. 4-day wait only. Ordered on 23rd and use it on 27th.
$49/mo. Equipment (transceiver, NIC, and modem) purchase price is $199 if you sign up for 1 year; $99 if 2 years.

http://www.sprintbroadband.com/index.html

ETLA

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
man..I am gonna do this if my dumbPACbell DSL does not come on after tomorrow...been waiting for 3 whole months!!! they finally turned it on today but I kept on getting stupid timeout from server error!!! AHHHHhhhhhh~~~~~ I hate netzero!!!!!!!

Don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 NA my area!!!

I need some serious help for fast connection..no cable here only DSL...anyone has any other tricks?

mralex

Oct 26, 1999
I was amazed when my friend told me it only took 4 days to get the thing ready even though Christmas is in between and the day he ordered it was Sat.

IITravel

Banned
Nov 7, 2000
DishNetwork is supposed to have a 2 way satellite system available soon (Not the DirectPC one way shiot), anyone know anymore on this???

DanStp

Oct 9, 1999

A friend of mine is a dealer and has the DISH thing. It's called Starband, but is like 70 bucks a month:( I have not had time to check it out. I have DISH TV but a cable modem too........go figure:)

bigdoggy

Jul 1, 2000
The cost of two way sat is about 100 bux a month including tv sub, pro setup, 200$ and components 400$, not bad after setup, no clue on how well it works. Keep an eye on this as
deals come an go pretty fast with these little dishes. Search for Direct PC 2-way

trend

Nov 7, 1999
urhmm..... 3megs/8 or 4megs/8 (bits to byte conversion) leaves you at 400-500kbps!!! that is awsome.......but....... wait... i have a cable modem (uncapped by the senior computer engineer (tier 3!)) and so i should be getting 1 mega byte per second, but i can only get 500kbps (servers just aren't that fast and number of hops). so maybe expect 200-300kbps MAX wirelessly!! that is sooo awsome

my billion $$$ friend's dad told me he was paying 80$ per month to get 19kbps (sometimes 80kbps with special compression... yeah.. right. i don't really believe that...)

this is an awsome deal!... but you have to live in certain areas on america....so not for all of us

SLEEPER5555

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2000
www.sprintbroadband is an exxxxxcelent choice but right now it is just being rolled out so it is not yet avail in many areas, I just signed up for cablemodem service (because they are givin 3.5 months free with no obligation to continue in my area. I am hoping that SBB will be avail soon but until then i will be a "Kbull" customer (SBB is gona be avail in my area "sometime in 2001" until then the wait is on)

KillaBee

Oct 11, 1999
Trend, you are one lucky bastard but don't you mean kB/s as in kilobytes, not kilobits. 500kbps isn't that fast but still much faster than the pathetic 128kbps cap @home has. Now, 500kBps is burning up the bandwidth.

Thor2

Dec 28, 2000
I have the Starband hardware sitting in my garage waiting for those damn people to come install it. Other people report 500-600 down and about 90 up.

Vinster

Jun 13, 2000
Their FAQ says that FPS games won't work very well.

http://www.starband.com/faq/isvc.htm#applications

Are there any applications that will work differently in the StarBand network?
Yes. Certain applications do not perform efficiently in a satellite-delivered environment, such as voice/video over IP, VPN services, certain online interactive games (particularly "shooter" games that depend on split-second responsiveness for the "survival" of the player), and applications that use non-TCP/IP protocols (such as IPX/SPX).

Frglss

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2000
I believe I read somewhere that the latency on dish broadband was 400-500 ms at best. I may be off a bit.

RC5Bri

Dec 24, 2000
I can't believe it! It is available in SE Mi :D I can't DSL or Cable in my area, I am really thinking about getting this. Thanx a lot mralex!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
ETLA - Why can't you get broadband (cable/DSL)?

In the boonies/country?
Apartment complex not wired right?
Some weird development "gated community"?
Live on a house boat?

IITravel

Banned
Nov 7, 2000
For those of you that this is not available and you can't get DSL or Cable modem, the StarBand is available to almost anyone who has access to southern facing sky. It's a little expensive at $59.95 a month plus the equipment(Radio Shack) plus installation (free promotion now). You can get it with DishNetwork for $69.95 a month and I think there is a discount for those that combine it with Sat. TV service. This may be a last option due to price, but for those without other options it seems to be available to almost anyone...

Time2Kill

Golden Member
Nov 20, 1999
www.brooksidestorage.com
Its actually available where I live...out in the boonies.
Too bad I am getting a free T-1 line but this would be a nice backup in case my T-1 goes down or something :D

Anybody have any idea what kind of latency the wireless has?

craigg

Sep 26, 2000
I have been a beta tester for Starband for 3 or 4 months now. It is probably best suited for those that have no access to Two Way Cable or DSL. The price is about $69 a month now. If one does sign up for it I reccomend that you ask for the Usb Modem version. As for speed, downloads average around 500 - 600K with off peak times going as high as 1mb sec. They are also working on multicasting some multimedia where this will be sent down consistently at 1mb sec. The upload speed is slow at the moment ~70k but should be up to around 150k soon. There is an inherent latency of about 500ms because of the time for the signal to reach the satellite and then to the hub. I know they are working on this but not sure how much it can be improved. I would reccommend the service for those that can't get good DSL. It is a bit more expensive than cable or dsl but until there is a new competitor it is all we have. For more information or to sign up go to : http://www.starband.com/join/

THEJUICE

Apr 25, 2000
Another company to look for- they are just getting started rolling out in major cities... Broadband2Wireless (www.bb2w.com)-they are offering residential wireless broadband that is synchronous- (2-way) so upload speeds are faster for gaming than satellite systems that use 56k...

Delbert

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
I have had SBB for about two weeks now. There are issues with ping times, and the uploads are nowhere near the download speeds. Because it?s new in my area (Salt Lake City) I am getting good throughput. I fear that that will change as more people in my sector sign up. For now though, its cool. Below is a snip from a speed test I did at
http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Test running..........
** Speed 5088(down)/132(up) kbps **
(At least 101 times faster than a 56k modem)
Logging result
Finish.
Your download speed : 5088181 bps, or 5088 kbps.
Browsers would show : about a 621.1 k/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 132297 bps, or 132 kbps.
Your connection rocks .. above the 5mbit barrier!