Superbowl LVI (56 for those arent Roman) thread, 2/13/22

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
yeah they really need to, otherwise burrow ain't gonna make it

how many times did he get sacked tonight? it felt like 10
7 sacks and an injury to his right leg.

Unless he was already down, then that would be eight.

If he gets a oline, the whole league better watch out because he reads the field well.

Reactions: BUTCH1

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
7 sacks and an injury to his right leg.

Unless he was already down, then that would be eight.

If he gets a oline, the whole league better watch out because he reads the field well.
Yup, he dammed near completed that desperation flip-pass at the end and that was as he was being rag-dolled by Donald. I get it, I get it, very tough to block but that was a total turn-style job on that play.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yup, he dammed near completed that desperation flip-pass at the end and that was as he was being rag-dolled by Donald. I get it, I get it, very tough to block but that was a total turn-style job on that play.
Burrow has it all right in the head even under pain and pressure.

Reactions: BUTCH1

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Did anyone else feel like there were multiple false starts not called against LA?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if the NFL needs some kind of VAR. The game was interesting, but either outcome is to be blamed on the refs. Either the missed facemask that lead to a huge momentum shift and 10 point swing that would have lead to Cincy winning, but instead we ended up with the phantom call against Wilson that lead to the LA win.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I think this evidence really pushes this Super Bowl into a sham level. Bengals got robbed.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if the NFL needs some kind of VAR. The game was interesting, but either outcome is to be blamed on the refs. Either the missed facemask that lead to a huge momentum shift and 10 point swing that would have lead to Cincy winning, but instead we ended up with the phantom call against Wilson that lead to the LA win.
I could accept a makeup call even in the last minutes. But they were went all in on the laundry and outright did not call a false start on the Rams and that “late hit” was clean.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Some PhD candidate needs to write a paper about game fixing by showing the distribution of calls for various teams at different moments in games.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
WOW, that's not just one guy leaving a tad early it was 3 guys completely out of their stance when that ball was snapped, how TF could they miss that?.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
WOW, that's not just one guy leaving a tad early it was 3 guys completely out of their stance when that ball was snapped, how TF could they miss that?.
The only somewhat acceptable excuse was that they gave Higgins a TD so they have to give one back to the Rams. Even so, that's really taking over the outcome of a game.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I could accept a makeup call even in the last minutes. But they were went all in on the laundry and outright did not call a false start on the Rams and that “late hit” was clean.

Yeah, Cincy got screwed more there's no doubt about that. The refs should have kept their flags down and just let it play out. When you call too much or call nothing but are consistent, things tend to even out over the course of a game.

The Rams had time to make up and the Bengals didn't. For all we know LA might have converted on their final down anyway and still won. Oh well. Sorry Bengals fans (and anyone who put money down on them).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Some PhD candidate needs to write a paper about game fixing by showing the distribution of calls for various teams at different moments in games.
The problem with "studies" is that they strip variables within a "process" and scramble them up. Determining fixing requires studying a game's call in moment and with all of the moments before and after it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i am shocked dr dre/snoop dog/m&M had mary j blige on the ticket.
she got fat.

i bet im not the only one commenting on her figure.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah I saw that and wondered how that was missed...but then that big old face mask to Ramsey was missed, so shouldn't have been shocked. Pretty bad night for the refs. Not the worst, but really bad.

Reactions: Captante

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Huge fan of 90s west coast hip hop and Mary j. I was planning to go to sb for this if bills made it, but no gin n juice, nuttin but a g thang, real love, you remind me. The true hits. 🤦. Good things bills didn’t make it. 😂

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Huge fan of 90s west coast hip hop and Mary j. I was planning to go to sb for this if bills made it, but no gin n juice, nuttin but a g thang, real love, you remind me. The true hits. 🤦. Good things bills didn’t make it. 😂
im assuming dr dre and company paid the nfl to perform at the 1/2 time show.
are they coming out with a collective album?

if not, then what are they promoting?

• Haha
Reactions: 13Gigatons

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Oh. The game. Entertaining overall. Kupp pi was tacky, but refs clearly missed jalen face mask. So that’s a wash. Refs gives sone and take some. Kupp mvp was awesome. He was my ff mvp so. Happy for him. And jamar chase screwed me again on sgp. I needed 1 more catch from him and woulda won. Every thing else in on a 10 picker

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
im assuming dr dre and company paid the nfl to perform at the 1/2 time show.
are they coming out with a collective album?

if not, then what are they promoting?

I know mjb just released an album I believe, but no clue on snoop n Dre.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Was rooting for the Bengals. Rams just had superiority in the trenches both on offense and defense. Although the Bengals shut down the run game, Stafford overall had good protection. In contrast, Burrow was just killed. Hope his knee is OK.

Cant believe the way Michaels and Collingsworth were fawning over Stafford about that last drive. Yes, it was impressive, but I would hardly call it the best of all time. Elway had "the drive" for Denver, and Brady did it numerous time for the Pats. Hell, against the Falcons, he did it multiple times, and added 2 point conversions on top of it.

Edit: Also have to question some of the play calls of the Bengals. It is great to be aggressive, and maybe the analytics favor it, but going for it on fourth down early in the game came back to bite them, as well as passing on 4th and short later in the game.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Was rooting for the Bengals. Rams just had superiority in the trenches both on offense and defense. Although the Bengals shut down the run game, Stafford overall had good protection. In contrast, Burrow was just killed. Hope his knee is OK.

Cant believe the way Michaels and Collingsworth were fawning over Stafford about that last drive. Yes, it was impressive, but I would hardly call it the best of all time. Elway had "the drive" for Denver, and Brady did it numerous time for the Pats. Hell, against the Falcons, he did it multiple times, and added 2 point conversions on top of it.

Edit: Also have to question some of the play calls of the Bengals. It is great to be aggressive, and maybe the analytics favor it, but going for it on fourth down early in the game came back to bite them, as well as passing on 4th and short later in the game.
Yeah, Taylor fell into the trap opponents usually gave to the Bengals. Pin the Rams deep, and the Bengals D could have handled them at that time.

The constant usage of Perine on 3rd down is also questionable. Might have gotten it if it was Mixon on that play running one that play.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Not sure what the progression was, but Burrow missed Uzomah on that last play. It's actually really amazing he even got it off close to Perine while being spun around and down. And at least one soft holding calls could have been called while the play was still on. Boyd was grabbed.

Looks like Burrow was going to Higgins but pulled the ball back down was Higgins was covered.

The concept was also kind of lacking because Uzomah's defender went right into Higgins' window; a play in the first quarter also had the same thing happen. Could have had Boyd run a quick slant in instead of going as far as he did.

Huge cushion by the Rams corner at the top of the screen as well.

Given that Burrow is still a second year player, it is likely some things are still fast for him. But with a couple more years of experience and study, there is very little doubt he'll be able to make the play in the heat of the moment and get it to the right guy. Taylor also needs to improve as a playcaller and play designer.