Question Super silly question

Feb 4, 2009
I’m embarrassed to ask but I’m too fire conscious to not ask.

I need a second monitor for a class I’m taking tomorrow
I have an old 2007(ish) Samsung 17” display. I cannot find the power cord but I do have a spare PC power cord that fits.
Is it dangerous to use the PC power supply for a monitor?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
By "power cord", do you mean the IEC standard AC cord that a PC power supply uses? If so, should be no problem, they are meant to be interchangable (*).

(*) Some beefy PC PSUs (750W and above), often come with heavier-gauge IEC cables. Keep those together.

Feb 4, 2009
By "power cord", do you mean the IEC standard AC cord that a PC power supply uses? If so, should be no problem, they are meant to be interchangable (*).

(*) Some beefy PC PSUs (750W and above), often come with heavier-gauge IEC cables. Keep those together.

Yeah the power cord, I have it set up now and the old Samsung LCD is actually a decent second monitor for my needs. Surprised how well it works. Windows 10 auto configured everything, only thing that needed to be changed was monitor 1 and monitor 2 placement.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I need a second monitor for a class I’m taking tomorrow
I have an old 2007(ish) Samsung 17” display. I cannot find the power cord but I do have a spare PC power cord that fits.
Is it dangerous to use the PC power supply for a monitor?

It's the same thing

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
It's going to be smelling like burned rubber for quite a while before there would be any fire hazard so if you power down your monitor anytime you are not using it you will be fine because you will now there's something up well before the time comes.