Super Flower Leadex III Bronze PRO features a patented "Super Connector"

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's pretty neat. I was indeed perusing several of the new SuperFlower LeadEx PSU lineup recently, and on the modular units, I did notice that 9-pin "Universal connector", though I didn't come across the diagram that you posted. I thought that was pretty neat, having enough connectors for whatever. Whether that leads to people using, say, ALL of the modular connectors for PCI-E cables, and loading a (say, mid-range 650W 80Plus Gold) PSU beyond what it was nominally rated for, I cannot say. Likewise, if a "normal" modular PSU, with 4x periph/SATA, and 2x PCI-E, and 1x CPU, and 1x mobo connector, gets "interpreted" by SuperFlower, in their new universal connector format, to having 5x univeral connectors instead (so that one CANNOT lead to the situation where one could overload the +12V with PCI-E cables only, for example), I don't know. But I could see that happening, and being a limiting factor, should someone actually want to use 4x periph/SATA, and 2x PCI-E, and 1x CPU, and of course, 1x mobo (or tethered mobo / semi-modular). Basically, EVGA does that. Gives you exactly as many modular sockets, in particular types, as they include cables for with the PSU, because it's engineered to take that appropriate load. Allowing the use to "roll their own" (and borrow additional cables from a similar-model universal modular SuperFlower PSU), could be problematic in some cases.

On the whole, though, I like the idea, a lot.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
JohnnyGuru's site hasn't done power supply reviews for a few years now, so I think they might be done in that regard.

There doesn't seem to be many power supply reviews anymore (outside of flagship models), so it's tough to know for sure.

Just looking at the specs, outside of the efficiency, the LegionHX and Bronze PRO would likely be very similar. The Corsair TX-M was reviewed by several sites back in 2017, and it's a decent unit (although only semi-modular and a little on the noisy side because of the aggressive fan profile).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I like the idea of being able have as many 8 pin connections available as possible. I recently ran out of them on a build and had to compromise. The motherboard had two 8 Pin EPS + two 8 Pin PCIE + 6 Pin PCIE and then the graphics card had three 8 Pin PCIE.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
JohnnyGuru's site hasn't done power supply reviews for a few years now, so I think they might be done in that regard.

There doesn't seem to be many power supply reviews anymore (outside of flagship models), so it's tough to know for sure.

Just looking at the specs, outside of the efficiency, the LegionHX and Bronze PRO would likely be very similar. The Corsair TX-M was reviewed by several sites back in 2017, and it's a decent unit (although only semi-modular and a little on the noisy side because of the aggressive fan profile).
Could that be due to the increaser in over all quality of power supplies down through the years???

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Could that be due to the increaser in over all quality of power supplies down through the years???
I think it's more just the market. JonnyGuru's site/reviews was never as involved as say TomsHardware is in power supply reviews. Plus, there are still quite a few power supplies out there that aren't really good. Hardware reviews in general have gone way down compared to what they used to be, and a lot of companies don't send out review units like they did in the past (EVGA and Seasonic for example).

I also think it had a lot to do with him going to work for Corsair, leaving the site to be run/maintained by another individual. From what I understand, the person who was in charge of doing the work on that site wasn't a good choice, and they once even had the site totally crash and the person didn't have any backups of the content (or couldn't find it). Anyways, once Oklahoma Wolf stopped writing the reviews, the site pretty well was left to die.

It's a shame because I always liked the "quick and dirty" style of reviews on JonnyGuru, and it was once common to see "JonnyGuru approved" on retailer websites like Newegg.

Reactions: Captante

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm not sure if my fan comes on. I overbuy and the fan doesn't come on until it gets 50% load. Which is hardly ever.

I, too, have used Seasonics quite a bit over the last decade or two. And the complaints about the fan.....well, if the ps fan is spinning up enough to be bothersome with its sound, what's the gpu and cpu cooling fans doing? Usually, I find the gpu cooling fans waaaay drown out most other fan noise.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just snagged one of the Superflower 850 watt Pro's (Bronze) for $91 shipped from Amazon s/b here Weds.

Will be testing it out in a backup rig with my recently upgraded Ryzen 3600 and just back from RMA Aorus B450 along with my ancient EVGA GTX-980 4gb.

The plan is to swap it with the Corsair CX-750m powering my primary 5800x/3080 gaming rig but not until it gets put through its paces.

Per my Kill-A-Watt and APC Powerchute this system experiences power spikes around 700 watts (!!!) when under load/gaming .... this is FAR too close for comfort IMO.

:oops:

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think it's more just the market. JonnyGuru's site/reviews was never as involved as say TomsHardware is in power supply reviews. Plus, there are still quite a few power supplies out there that aren't really good. Hardware reviews in general have gone way down compared to what they used to be, and a lot of companies don't send out review units like they did in the past (EVGA and Seasonic for example).

I also think it had a lot to do with him going to work for Corsair, leaving the site to be run/maintained by another individual. From what I understand, the person who was in charge of doing the work on that site wasn't a good choice, and they once even had the site totally crash and the person didn't have any backups of the content (or couldn't find it). Anyways, once Oklahoma Wolf stopped writing the reviews, the site pretty well was left to die.

It's a shame because I always liked the "quick and dirty" style of reviews on JonnyGuru, and it was once common to see "JonnyGuru approved" on retailer websites like Newegg.

Pretty much spot-on ... the only point I disagree with is the implication that "Tom's Hardware" PSU reviews were anywhere close to as accurate, useful and brutal on the tested units as JG's. I really miss that site.

The only other site I can recall doing a sufficient job on PSU testing/reviews was HardOCP. (RIP)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just buy Seasonic and not worry about reviews. The last one I bought had a 12 year warranty. I'll bet it outlasts the warranty.

Thought you might be interested ... stumbled across this on of all places Best Buy.com Weds am.

Had the money so I went for it... possibly due to the usual mining BS it was "store-pickup only" which was a little weird.

Seasonic Prime TX 1000 (Titanium) @ $299 + tax

The most I've ever spent on a PSU by a good bit ... a "great" deal in 2021 for a +850k PSU too. (assuming you can even find one in stock)

:rolleyes:

613lpOoWqdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah I know ... no RGB so obviously a complete POS! ;)

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thought you might be interested ... stumbled across this on of all places Best Buy.com Weds am.

Had the money so I went for it... possibly due to the usual mining BS it was "store-pickup only" which was a little weird.

Seasonic Prime TX 1000 (Titanium) @ $299 + tax

The most I've ever spent on a PSU by a good bit ... a "great" deal in 2021 for a +850k PSU too. (assuming you can even find one in stock)

:rolleyes:

613lpOoWqdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah I know ... no RGB so obviously a complete POS! ;)
I also have a Seasonic Prime in my personal desktop, and they are almost a thing of beauty.

But when I bought mine (750w), they were in the $110 range. The times have changed for sure.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I also have a Seasonic Prime in my personal desktop, and they are almost a thing of beauty.

But when I bought mine (750w), they were in the $110 range. The times have changed for sure.

Best price I could find after BB for the current edition Prime TX-1000 Titanium was $458 + ship ... the 750 watt Titanium was around $200-$210.

The 80+ Gold version of the Prime is every bit as high quality a PSU and can be had for $154 on Newegg currently so maybe that's what you have?

Anything over 850 watts (and even more-so with 1000+) that has 80+ Platinum -or- Titanium efficiency has been jacked way up in price.

Prior to yesterday the most I'd ever spent on a PSU for a personal machine was approx $130 on a non-modular Antec (Delta) 900 watt HCG like 15 years ago! (still going strong too!)

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Best price I could find after BB for the current edition Prime TX-1000 Titanium was $458 + ship ... 750 watt Titanium was around $200-$210.

The 80+ Gold version of the Prime is every bit as high quality a PSU and can be had for $154 on Newegg currently so maybe that's what you have?

Anything over 850 watts (and even more-so with 1000+) that has 80+ Platinum -or- Titanium efficiency has been jacked way up in price.
Yeah, mine is the Prime Gold, and I just looked and I bought it in 2018 after the mining boom had ended. The same unit is now $155 + $10 shipping at Newegg, so about 41% increase in price in just under 3 years. :oops: